Unit 2: Vector Applications
Unit 3: Intersection of Lines and Planes
Unit 4: Concepts of Calculus
Unit 5: Derivatives
Unit 6: Curve Sketching
Unit 7: Derivative Applications and Related Rates
Unit 8: Derivative of Exponents and Log Functions-Exponential Functions
Unit 9: Trig Differentiation and Application

Any general comments about this course? I have it next semester.
Applying to:

McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)

"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
KingKhan
#2 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 7:44:17 PM

Also have it next semester, can anyone comment on the difficulty of this course in comparison to physics and advanced functions?
Applied to:

Brock University - Computer Science [Accepted]
McGill - Computer Engineering [Accepted]
McMaster - Engineering I [Accepted]
Queens - Engineering [Accepted]
Western - Engineering [Accepted]

McMaster: Mechanical Engineering 16'
Joshki
#3 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 8:35:47 PM

KingKhan wrote:
Also have it next semester, can anyone comment on the difficulty of this course in comparison to physics and advanced functions?

If you took physics, its easier for you in the vectors part. My teacher said, what u got in adv functions is pretty much what'll get in calculus, but depends on your teacher.

BCom 2016 | Finance & Accounting
Sauder School of Business | UBC

Ba Ba Blue
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:27:41 AM

Joshki wrote:
KingKhan wrote:

If you took physics, its easier for you in the vectors part. My teacher said, what u got in adv functions is pretty much what'll get in calculus, but depends on your teacher.

Hahaha, that's funny - I got 99 in both so it must be true :D.

Anyways, this course is quite easy especially in hind sight. Just memorize all your derivative rules and you'll be fine. Mastering the application of the chain rule can be a recurring challenge throughout the course, but even that isn't too difficult. As for the vectors part, having taken physics before definitely helps but it definitely isn't necessary either. Having good spatial intelligence will be of utmost importance because understanding things in terms of their geometric interpretation helps. With that in mind, please do not rely entirely on the geometry of things because that goes away as soon as you start working in 4+ dimensions in university linear algebra.

Finally, I would like to say that regardless of what math course you're taking, make sure you understand how to apply the concepts. Even if you don't do the other homework, please do the practice problems that challenge you to apply what you learned. If you can do all of those without ever doing any of the mundane and rather pointless calculations, you'll do great in the course!
Queen's-Trent Concurrent Education, '14 (Trent B.Sc) and '15 (Queen's B.Ed)
superstar2011
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:48:14 PM

brady23 wrote:

General comments:

Calculus
The most difficult part would be anything related to optimization or sketching curves (of quotient functions, especially). Getting your equations right are really important. This is the part of the course that really makes the difficulty of the course dependent on your teacher(s) (I had 4 different teachers writing tests for this class). Some questions really seemed like they were out of the blue, and I could not analyze a few properly. If you are lucky enough to get only the straight-forward ones, you may end up with a very high score, while if all the problems are designed to stress you out, it is quite a killer.

Other than that, the properties of limits and differentiation rules will be all you need for most other questions.

Vectors
Found this noticeably easier than calculus, although there are numerous people that disagree. Lots of geometry/visualization, and some opportunities for creative questions. Again, your teachers can be either lax or extremely hard to figure out. On the final exam, my teachers wanted me to find the area of the triangular base in between 3 planes... I knew how to do it, it was just awfully time consuming (and I got it wrong pale).
The world is not over and I'm still kicking butt!
cocoappleli
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 06, 2011 7:37:03 PM

superstar2011 wrote:
brady23 wrote:

General comments:

Calculus
The most difficult part would be anything related to optimization or sketching curves (of quotient functions, especially). Getting your equations right are really important. This is the part of the course that really makes the difficulty of the course dependent on your teacher(s) (I had 4 different teachers writing tests for this class). Some questions really seemed like they were out of the blue, and I could not analyze a few properly. If you are lucky enough to get only the straight-forward ones, you may end up with a very high score, while if all the problems are designed to stress you out, it is quite a killer.

Other than that, the properties of limits and differentiation rules will be all you need for most other questions.

Vectors
Found this noticeably easier than calculus, although there are numerous people that disagree. Lots of geometry/visualization, and some opportunities for creative questions. Again, your teachers can be either lax or extremely hard to figure out. On the final exam, my teachers wanted me to find the area of the triangular base in between 3 planes... I knew how to do it, it was just awfully time consuming (and I got it wrong pale).

I took Advanced Functions in grade 11 and got 97% in it. Do you think I'll do well in Calculus? I'm taking this course next semester.
Applied/[Accepted]:
York: Schulich BBA [Accepted]
UTSG: Rotman Commerce Accepted
UTSC: Co-op Management/ [Accepted]
UTM: Commerce/ [Accepted]
York: Psychology/ [Accepted]
ninetyfour
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:29:20 PM

fxoqxc wrote:
cocoappleli wrote:
superstar2011 wrote:
brady23 wrote:

General comments:

Calculus

Vectors

I took Advanced Functions in grade 11 and got 97% in it. Do you think I'll do well in Calculus? I'm taking this course next semester.

I took Advanced Functions in grade 11 and got 100% in it. Do you think I'll do well in Calculus? I'm taking this course next semester.

If you did that well in Advanced Functions, chances are you guys will do well in Calculus and Vectors as well. We were introduced to derivatives in Adv. Func. so as I'm taking Calc now, it's fairly easy. I still have trouble with the Trig unit, so that's where I'm directing my focus. We also did integration which wasn't bad.

I'm sure you guys will do fine. Just make sure that you're understanding the core concepts.
University of Waterloo '17
Software Engineering
rightsaidfred
#8 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 12:26:54 AM

cocoappleli wrote:
superstar2011 wrote:
brady23 wrote:

General comments:

Calculus

Vectors

It's funny. It's always the kids who have the highest marks that worry about doing well in classes.
You'll do fine.
iliketurtles
#9 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 2:25:21 AM

I found calculus much easier than functions, data, or vectors...I was in IB math though, so we kind of had to fit pretty much all 4 subjects (but I'd say almost half the time was spent on calculus) into 2 semesters, which pretty much discredits anything I have to say about any of those courses :(
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
rightsaidfred
#10 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 2:52:40 AM

iliketurtles wrote:
I found calculus much easier than functions, data, or vectors...I was in IB math though, so we kind of had to fit pretty much all 4 subjects (but I'd say almost half the time was spent on calculus) into 2 semesters, which pretty much discredits anything I have to say about any of those courses :(

Functions is a waste of time as a course on its own. It used to be combined with calculus.
Functions is just... teaching you methods you will never ever use once you learn calculus.
Data is hard because it requires the most critical thinking.
Vectors (read: Linear Algebra) is incredibly tough and usually given to university students after 2 semesters of calculus.
I found advanced functions the easiest I guess, technically, since I never did a shred of homework or studied for a single test and only showed up 4 times a week.
Calculus was pretty easy too though.
Ba Ba Blue
#11 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 9:43:25 AM

rightsaidfred wrote:
iliketurtles wrote:

Functions is a waste of time as a course on its own. It used to be combined with calculus.
Functions is just... teaching you methods you will never ever use once you learn calculus.
Vectors (read: Linear Algebra) is incredibly tough and usually given to university students after 2 semesters of calculus.
I found advanced functions the easiest I guess, technically, since I never did a shred of homework or studied for a single test and only showed up 4 times a week.

I second the notion that linear algebra is hard. At Trent it's a first year course. It is the hardest first year course. The vectors you do in high school are only a small fraction of what they make you do in university.

With that said, calculus was quite easy - no one should be scared of calculus :).
Queen's-Trent Concurrent Education, '14 (Trent B.Sc) and '15 (Queen's B.Ed)
iliketurtles
#12 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 3:24:26 PM

Ba Ba Blue wrote:
rightsaidfred wrote:
iliketurtles wrote:

I second the notion that linear algebra is hard. At Trent it's a first year course. It is the hardest first year course. The vectors you do in high school are only a small fraction of what they make you do in university.

With that said, calculus was quite easy - no one should be scared of calculus :).

I think people get scared of calculus because it's unlike anything they've dealt with before (i.e. adv functions is sort of a continuation of gr 11 functions), or that's just something I've noticed
We learned some pretty basic matrices and it didn't seem too bad, just meticulous and easy to make mistakes in, nothing too crazy
Applied:
rightsaidfred
#13 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 4:07:10 PM

iliketurtles wrote:
Ba Ba Blue wrote:
rightsaidfred wrote:
iliketurtles wrote:

I think people get scared of calculus because it's unlike anything they've dealt with before (i.e. adv functions is sort of a continuation of gr 11 functions), or that's just something I've noticed
We learned some pretty basic matrices and it didn't seem too bad, just meticulous and easy to make mistakes in, nothing too crazy

I think people are scared of calculus because high school, especially the higher U level courses, are too difficult for most people to handle.
anotherxnight
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:08:08 PM

I haven't done any calculus yet but I find vectors considerably harder than functions. Physics will only help you for one of the chapters which imo is still pretty difficult. We've done 2 tests so far in my class and the 1st test had a 65% average. The second chapter's average was 56%. I heard that one the other teacher's test had a 49% average.

I'm barely working in functions and working moderately hard in vectors and I have the same mark. :/ Everyone says calc is easier though.
uOttawa 2016
anotherxnight
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:30:05 AM

Those weren't class averages; they were test averages for the harder vectors teachers. The course median for all of the classes(I think we have 5) is about 69%. I know it sounds unbelievable but I'm actually not bsing. I think the test means are so low because there are actually people getting like 20% in the class.
The teachers In my school would never bellcurve our marks. The best they would do would is reduce the weighting of a particular test.
uOttawa 2016
chiqua99
#16 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2011 5:27:42 PM

Hi there,
I have to ask...do you think it's fair for a teacher to deduct 12% off a test because you gave 2 answers to a question? I mean, I indicated which one I thought was correct. It's upsetting because it drops my course mark siginificantly.
anotherxnight
#17 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2011 6:05:24 PM

chiqua99 wrote:
Hi there,
I have to ask...do you think it's fair for a teacher to deduct 12% off a test because you gave 2 answers to a question? I mean, I indicated which one I thought was correct. It's upsetting because it drops my course mark siginificantly.

They took off marks for that particular question and not the whole test, right? And did he/she mark it down because you had two solutions or because they marked the first answer. The teacher could argue that they mark the first solution they see as opposed to the more correct one. I can see why they would but even then, in high school that is a bit harsh.
uOttawa 2016
rightsaidfred
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 12:20:15 AM

It's a damn shame that they no longer teach implicit differentiation in high school.
iliketurtles
#19 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 12:46:02 AM

rightsaidfred wrote:
It's a damn shame that they no longer teach implicit differentiation in high school.

It is. My school barely covers it (not even tested, they just tell us about it)
Applied:
Slasher61
#20 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 1:00:35 PM

iliketurtles wrote:
rightsaidfred wrote:

It is. My school barely covers it (not even tested, they just tell us about it)

Funny, cause my calc teacher taught us it when I took it. Not like its difficult anyways so I feel bad for you guys cause its very important yet so simple.
4 Pages 123>»
Conversation Jump