Browse Our Top Categories

4 Pages 123>»
Resume Help? Look no Further! Options ▼
ARMY101
#1 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 10:01:23 AM

Hey all,

I've run a restaurant ranked the Top 50 in Canada for 5 years. I've hired and fired hundreds of people, and taken specialized training in how to screen people for jobs.

As such, I'd like to offer my services to you. If you're looking for help on your resume, post your question here and I'll reply. You could also send me a PM with further questions or comments.

My knowledge and experience will help you get any job.

Questions and comments were also posted here.

Post away :)
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
ARMY101
#2 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 10:08:08 AM

1. DON'T put a picture of yourself on your resume. People who do that are people who want to be sponsored to come to Canada from the Phillipines to work. We (an employer) don't want that baggage. Don't get confused as one of those people.

2. In the last week, we literally received over 300 applications for employment through the internet and in-person. Obviously, I can't interview all of them, so you need to stand out when you a) present yourself and b) in your resume's layout and achievements. I cannot read every part of your resume, so there should be certain parts that naturally draw me to look during a quick 20 second glance.

Cover letters have become a major issue, especially when they're on the internet:

3. When you're emailing us, you're selling yourself in the same way as if you were talking to me in person. As such, your introductory email with your resume attached should have your cover letter. This should be something like "Dear Hiring Manager... here's my resume... please consider me... I'm qualified because... I like your company because... Thank you for considering me, I look forward to hearing from you." NOT NOT NOT (and I have actually seen several of these) "hai r u guyz still hirng? plz call me!!!!!!" You're an instant deletion from the hiring inbox and not even worth my time. Sell yourself as the best possible person.

4. Your email address should be easy to remember and appropriate. If you have to, create a special email address just for applying to jobs. The email address should be simple, like john.doe@hotmail.com or jane_smith@gmail.com. You'd be surprised at how many people screw this up with email addresses like 1973angieee_xox_69@hotmail.com or crack_goddess_6969@hotmail.com (yes, I've seen that address before).

5. Also, look at the title of your resume! It should obviously be something appropriate! "My resume.doc" or "John's resume.doc" are all acceptable. "FNGRESUMEEEEEEEEEE.doc" is obviously not (and yes, I have seen this actual title).

6. And lastly, for any idiots who denied that we actually had Masters and PhD students applying to work for us, yes, they have been. Some people have been graduate students with Masters in economics, political science, political economy, etc. So obviously, these people are looking for employment regardless of their studies. We're glad to offer positions to people who are eager and qualified to work for us.
**Shields**
Accepted:
wonderfulxchan
#3 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 5:29:17 PM

It's my first time to find a job and I have no work experience. However, I have a load of volunteer experiences. How can I point that out in my resume and what is the best way to write the resume in this case?

Thanks ^^
ARMY101
#4 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 5:52:54 PM

wonderfulxchan wrote:
It's my first time to find a job and I have no work experience. However, I have a load of volunteer experiences. How can I point that out in my resume and what is the best way to write the resume in this case?

Thanks ^^

Just don't list "work experience" as a heading then. Your layout would be something like:

Name
Address
Phone Number
Email address

Objective

Volunteer Experience/Extra-Curriculars

Education

Professional Qualifications

Interests

References
**Shields**
Accepted:
nella.ava
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 11:28:10 PM

i want to be a wedding planner and get some experiance with a company (like a coop) but out of school, is there anything specific is should include on my cover letter or resume?
cblake01
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 10:03:04 AM

what looks better am e-mailed resumee, hand delivered, or mailed??
ARMY101
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 10:43:05 AM

nella.ava wrote:
i want to be a wedding planner and get some experiance with a company (like a coop) but out of school, is there anything specific is should include on my cover letter or resume?

Do you have experience in being a wedding planner? Or assisting one? That would be something to include right away.

If you don't have direct planning experience, then still listing some of the attributes of being a wedding planner will help you. That would be anything that would show you're organized, professional, and perhaps have connections in the field.

And finally, if you don't have the experience but really want the job indicate that on your cover letter. Be honest in recognizing yourself that you're not perfect, but writing something like "I am incredibly willing to learn any new programs in order to better qualify myself for this position" indicates that you're eager. Even something like "it has been a long-time dream of mine to be a wedding planner, and I believe I can work with your company to be an outstanding planner while gaining valuable experience" would go over well.
**Shields**
Accepted:
ARMY101
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 10:48:19 AM

cblake01 wrote:
what looks better am e-mailed resumee, hand delivered, or mailed??

It depends on the job, but I would say in most cases, hand-delivered is the way to go.

Hand-delivering your resume has several advantages for you and the potential employer.

1. It shows you know where their location is.

2. You have the opportunity to take a look around their building/area to get to know the place.

3. You can usually observe the staff working there, and maybe even ask them some questions (depending on the type of position obviously).

4. It gives them time to size you up in-person. When a person emails in their resume, you have no idea of how they dress, act, look, or present themselves in person. Especially in customer service, I (as someone running a business) need to see how you look in person and how you would present yourself in person to myself and to customers.

The only way in which I could see an email-based resume being more effective would be for some sort of administrative position where the potential employer wants to see your resume on the computer so they can evaluate your skills in Microsoft Word.
**Shields**
Accepted:
sumreen89
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 12:43:59 PM

check around your school campus! im sure they have resume and coverletter workshops.. MOST ARE FREE
sumreen89
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 12:46:01 PM

hand delivery is so much better!
everytime ive personally cameinto a store to give in my resume, ive always gotten a call back..
it lets the employee see that you have initiative and willing to take your time to come meet them even before a meeting..
plus usually theyll give you an "on the spot" interview!
g93
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 12:46:03 PM

sumreen89 wrote:
check around your school campus! im sure they have resume and coverletter workshops.. MOST ARE FREE

So is Army's advice... or google
i300
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:05:45 AM

What do you think of a summary section in the beginning of the resume?
Applied to:

UTSC Management Co-op
York BAS
Ryerson BComm (technology)
UTM BComm
Ryerson BComm
ARMY101
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 04, 2011 10:02:03 AM

i300 wrote:
What do you think of a summary section in the beginning of the resume?

I like it, if the resume is longer than 2 pages. Otherwise, you're just summarizing something that is right down the page only a few words later. Here's why I like it:

1. You can tailor the highlights to the specific job: If you're going for a restaurant, your highlights will be a lot about food safety, organization, cooking, etc. and less about your paper route when you were 14.

2. It's exactly that: a summary. It's a short list of what is the MOST important in your resume and what you think qualifies you the most for the position.

3. It leads the reader into the rest of the resume. Since it's a short summary of what you've done, you have to catch their attention right away. If they see 3 short but concise and good highlights, they'll want to read the rest of your resume.
**Shields**
Accepted:
japman
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:36:37 PM

I want to get into some sort of geology job but I don't have much experience in anything but restaurants, what sort of points would you suggest adding to my resume to make it stand out more?
**Shields**
Accepted:
KhuloodI
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:48:49 AM

What kind of qualities steals the attention of the employer in a resume, and what kind of layout?
No pain No gain
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:54:13 AM

i know that after the break there are no hours anywhere
but i was wondering when would be a good time to start applying to jobs?
like when will businesses be needing more staff?
ARMY101
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:10:48 AM

japman wrote:
I want to get into some sort of geology job but I don't have much experience in anything but restaurants, what sort of points would you suggest adding to my resume to make it stand out more?

Any experience in geology would obviously be helpful, but anything other than that would just be soft skills (e.g. organization, time management, etc.).
**Shields**
Accepted:
ARMY101
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:12:38 AM

063442263 wrote:
i know that after the break there are no hours anywhere

Sure there are...

Quote:
but i was wondering when would be a good time to start applying to jobs?
like when will businesses be needing more staff?

There are always three big hiring pushes each year in most retail locations: Christmas, May, and September. They're all based around university students moving and positions opening up, so any of those time frames are the best to start looking for a job.
**Shields**
Accepted:
ARMY101
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:14:10 AM

KhuloodI wrote:
What kind of qualities steals the attention of the employer in a resume, and what kind of layout?

Willing to do anything for the job, flexible hours (I hate when people come in and say "NO, I want to work this day from 4 to 7 and this day from 7 to 11 and that's all"), qualified and experienced in the field already, and any sort of managerial experience.

Reverse chronological based on work experience is always best.
**Shields**
Accepted:
Azuberi
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 11:35:27 AM

Ok, need help!

I have only done volunteer work before, and am looking for a part time job in Brampton, while attending Uni... But the jobs that I want are desk work like a receptionist, or a customer service repersentative. Which usually require a 1 to 2 year experince in the feild. Are there any other job ideas, I am curently enrolled in Interior Design, and would also like to work at IKEA,home depot,bouclair,home outfitters,jysk bath and home now im not sure if my resume is good to start off with. And I don't want to do my "start off" job at tim hortons, or any fast food resturant. What can i dooo? and how can i make my resume effective?
"insructions end in the school room, education ends with life".
4 Pages 123>»
Conversation Jump