Browse Our Top Categories

4 Pages <1234>
Resume Help? Look no Further! Options ▼
bibin25
#41 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:18:14 PM

Hey i am an high school student with some work experience. I have worked at olive garden and taco bell, which are both food related corporation. I am looking for a job at best buy or some where that does not involve food. I want to know how i can relate to the field i am interested in a resume, when i have only worked at a different field. Thanks :)
ARMY101
#42 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 12:26:50 PM

bibin25 wrote:
Hey i am an high school student with some work experience. I have worked at olive garden and taco bell, which are both food related corporation. I am looking for a job at best buy or some where that does not involve food. I want to know how i can relate to the field i am interested in a resume, when i have only worked at a different field. Thanks :)

You just have to play up the soft skills that would be applicable in both settings:
- Working with customers
- Coming to work on time, with a uniform, etc.
- Being organized
- Selling your company's product
- Adapting to high and low volumes of customers
- Performing secondary duties (e.g. when you weren't serving customers did you stock up? Clean?)
- Did you receive any professional certifications? For example, did you learn how to do schedules or some sort of maintenance program?
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
jenny12sohn
#43 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:00:22 PM

Wow, I had a few questions before I read all the posts, but now I have none! Thanks!
SaraJJA
#44 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:42:29 PM

Hey Everyone! Just a quick question about resumes/applying for part-time jobs. I'm going into first year and would like a part-time job while I'm studying at university. Should I attach a cover letter to my resume even for a typical part-time job (fast food restaurant, clothing store, etc.)? Or should I keep it short and simple with a one page resume?

Also, I would ideally like to work only once a week, twice a week maximum, so that I can balance my work load in school. Is this something that I should make clear on the cover letter? Or something I should bring up if I were to receive an interview?

Thanks so much!
ARMY101
#45 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:02:53 PM

SaraJJA wrote:
Hey Everyone! Just a quick question about resumes/applying for part-time jobs. I'm going into first year and would like a part-time job while I'm studying at university. Should I attach a cover letter to my resume even for a typical part-time job (fast food restaurant, clothing store, etc.)? Or should I keep it short and simple with a one page resume?

Attaching a cover letter is always better than not attaching one. They can be pretty generic in outlining your skills and abilities, but it's still best to use one.

Quote:
Also, I would ideally like to work only once a week, twice a week maximum, so that I can balance my work load in school. Is this something that I should make clear on the cover letter? Or something I should bring up if I were to receive an interview?

Thanks so much!

Depends on the job. Some of them (McDonald's, Tim Horton's, some grocery stores) want to know up front what you want to work. They usually have an "availability" spot right on the application. If they don't, then no, don't mention it in your application. Mention it during the interview.
**Shields**
Accepted:
SaraJJA
#46 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:28:37 PM

Ok awesome, thanks! Also, if I have multiple letter of references, should I attach them to the resume? Or should I just choose the best one and list any other references at the bottom of my resume? Thanks again!
ARMY101
#47 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:12:55 PM

SaraJJA wrote:
Ok awesome, thanks! Also, if I have multiple letter of references, should I attach them to the resume? Or should I just choose the best one and list any other references at the bottom of my resume? Thanks again!

1. Reference letters should be brought to the interview and only presented if it seems you need it. They're not going to get you anywhere if you're interviewing for Tim Horton's or Burger King. If you need them, just bring up "I have a reference letter from John Doe, my Manager at XYZ Law Firm, who says I was an excellent employee." If the interviewer wants to see it, then give it to them.

2. References should not be on your resume. You should simply have "References: Available Upon Request" and if they request them then you give them your references.
**Shields**
Accepted:
ktel
#48 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:13:43 PM

I wouldn't attach a letter of reference to a resume. I wouldn't even include references on a resume, just say "References available upon request". You're giving away the personal information of your referees unnecessarily. Wait until the employer asks for references.
CrèmeGlacée
#49 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:56:25 PM

Can I write about one time volunteer experiences? Should I write about volunteer work done several years ago?

I have no work experience and not so much volunteer experience...
Quiz
#50 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:41:19 PM

CrèmeGlacée wrote:
Can I write about one time volunteer experiences? Should I write about volunteer work done several years ago?

I have stuff on my resume that I did when I was 9 years old (I'm 19 now). I worked for the provincial government this summer, so I don't think writing about faded experiences is detrimental.
ARMY101
#51 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 7:31:05 AM

CrèmeGlacée wrote:

If you don't have any work experience then yes, write about your relevant and most important volunteer experience.
**Shields**
Accepted:
caveman
#52 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:42:23 PM

Is there any spot on a resume where you could put awards/scholarships. I don't really see a spot to put it but I feel that some of my awards/scholarships should be included- obviously I don't want every award I can think of on there just 2-4 maybe.

Thanks in advance.
ktel
#53 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:53:01 PM

I have an awards and scholarships heading. So I have:

School
Work Experience
Awards/Scholarships
Volunteer Experience

for example
ARMY101
#54 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 3:55:21 PM

caveman wrote:
Is there any spot on a resume where you could put awards/scholarships. I don't really see a spot to put it but I feel that some of my awards/scholarships should be included- obviously I don't want every award I can think of on there just 2-4 maybe.

Thanks in advance.

If your resume is for getting a job, then under your education is the appropriate place. For example:

B.A., Carleton University
- Blah blah blah these are the highlights
- Awarded the I.M. Awesome Scholarship in 2010
- Awarded the bursary for academic excellence in 2009

If your resume is just for applying to university or based on academics, then yes, a separate section for awards and scholarships would be appropriate.
**Shields**
Accepted:
Katraa
#55 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:10:19 PM

Hi!
I'm currently trying to fill out a supplementary form for the Business program at UVic and they require a resume. I was wondering if there's a max length for resumes, because currently, my resume is almost 4 pages... Also, what do you mean by highlights at the start of the resume? Like I just list my experiences briefly?

Quiz
#56 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:22:59 AM

Katraa wrote:
Hi!
I'm currently trying to fill out a supplementary form for the Business program at UVic and they require a resume. I was wondering if there's a max length for resumes, because currently, my resume is almost 4 pages... Also, what do you mean by highlights at the start of the resume? Like I just list my experiences briefly?

I would say 4 paeges is a tad long...maybe cut out some of the stuff that has little relevance to the position you're applying for.
ktel
#57 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:22:41 PM

Katraa wrote:
Hi!

4 pages is definitely too long, especially since I doubt you've had very many jobs. 1-2 pages max.
Katraa
#58 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:15:16 AM

ktel wrote:
Katraa wrote:
Hi!

4 pages is definitely too long, especially since I doubt you've had very many jobs. 1-2 pages max.

I do alot of volunteer and extra-curricular stuff, and I believe they are all worth mentioning cause I've gotten many awards and such for them. Also this is for the supplementary form for University Business program....
ktel
#59 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:08:02 AM

Katraa wrote:
ktel wrote:
Katraa wrote:
Hi!

I do alot of volunteer and extra-curricular stuff, and I believe they are all worth mentioning cause I've gotten many awards and such for them. Also this is for the supplementary form for University Business program....

If there's no page limit, then sure, include it all, but in the future and for any job application your resume should be much shorter. I had a lot of volunteering experience and awards when I was in high school and I just cut a lot of it because most if it is irrelevant to employers.
ARMY101
#60 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:47:51 AM

Katraa wrote:
Hi!
I'm currently trying to fill out a supplementary form for the Business program at UVic and they require a resume. I was wondering if there's a max length for resumes, because currently, my resume is almost 4 pages...

4 pages is too long unless you've been a CEO of a major company and have like 5 Doctorates. Usually for people under 25 their resume is max. 2 pages. Once you get into significant experience (management, university degrees, publications, volunteer experience, etc.) you MAY go into 3 pages. If you're into four pages then you need to cut down on your explanations and only list the most relevant jobs and experiences (your paper route doesn't really matter when applying to university, for example :p ).

Quote:
Also, what do you mean by highlights at the start of the resume? Like I just list my experiences briefly?

Right. If they read nothing else on your resume, they'll at least read your highlights. Those are snappy summaries like "winner of the 'Manager of the Year award'" and "qualified in restaurant management, health and safety, first aid, and defibrilator training."
**Shields**
Accepted:
4 Pages <1234>
Conversation Jump