Browse Our Top Categories

How to make mypersonal statement info looks less empty? Options ▼
cloverhannah
#1 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 1:00:30 AM

My average is only about mid80s but my first university choice is UBC Sauder School of Business. I have stayed in Canada for about a year only, and so I only participated in 2 volunteering events in grade 11 without joining any other club because I spent lots of time to catch with the new learning system here. I'm applying for universities soon and so far I only have the following extracurricular experiences: 76 hours of volunteering, environmental club member and church fellowship committee member. I wonder if I should also include other experiences I had in grade 10 from my own country. Now what should I do to make my personal statement full of more experience contents? My volunteer application at YMCA is already processing, but I'm still waiting for the YMCA ppl to contact me...I'm really frustrating now because it seems that all of my experiences are unrelated to Business programs:( Should I get a job immediately from a restaurant somewhere so that I can at least say that I have a little bit of working experiences?
Joshki
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:08:40 AM

Honestly, I dont think you're that competitive for sauder. I know a whole bunch of people applying this fall and their averages are literally all in the low to mid 90s and have steller ECs. Also I see your main EC is the 70+ hours of community services, however, every student graduating from ontario will have at least 40 hours of community services, so i dont think that will have much impact on your application.

Piece of advice, if your still applying there, make sure your second semester marks are good! also ENG4U and MHF4U are prerequisites, therefore, you better have pretty decent marks for those (high 80s if not 90s). Work on your community hours as well.

Btw, what courses are you taking this year?

Anyway, good luck on your application !

BCom 2016 | Finance & Accounting
Sauder School of Business | UBC

dreamteam
#3 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 7:46:07 PM

Just make it look the best you can. Make sure you don't lie because a intelligent and well-rounded classmate of mine from high school falsely made up an EC and the Admissions Committee found out. Apparently it wasn't even part of her reference, but they still found out somehow. She was put on Suspension from registering to UBC indefinitely. So, just don't lie and make it look nice!
Sauder School of Business 2014
cloverhannah
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:55:45 PM

Joshki wrote:
Honestly, I dont think you're that competitive for sauder. I know a whole bunch of people applying this fall and their averages are literally all in the low to mid 90s and have steller ECs. Also I see your main EC is the 70+ hours of community services, however, every student graduating from ontario will have at least 40 hours of community services, so i dont think that will have much impact on your application.

Piece of advice, if your still applying there, make sure your second semester marks are good! also ENG4U and MHF4U are prerequisites, therefore, you better have pretty decent marks for those (high 80s if not 90s). Work on your community hours as well.

Thank you for your advice. I'm taking Eng, advanced function, calculus,international business, and 2 other 4M courses.I'm thinking of applying Western's BMOS now. Brock BBA co-op also sounds good. What do you think?
cloverhannah
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:01:01 PM

dreamteam wrote:
Just make it look the best you can. Make sure you don't lie because a intelligent and well-rounded classmate of mine from high school falsely made up an EC and the Admissions Committee found out. Apparently it wasn't even part of her reference, but they still found out somehow. She was put on Suspension from registering to UBC indefinitely. So, just don't lie and make it look nice!

Haha.. of course I won't lie.I'm just thinking of getting a job/ more volunteer hours before the university application deadline. But do you know how she faked the EC? I join some clubs, but I don't go to the meetings every week. Should I still consider myself a member?
Joshki
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:28:52 PM

cloverhannah wrote:
Joshki wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I'm taking Eng, advanced function, calculus,international business, and 2 other 4M courses.I'm thinking of applying Western's BMOS now. Brock BBA co-op also sounds good. What do you think?

I dont really have a good feeling to BMOs because it ties social science into business.. Also you will be doing cases (2 years of cases only literally..), so in my opinion, you are not learning much theory.

Brocks BBA is a decent program, you can also York's BBA, UTM's Commerce or Rotman. With that being said, it all depends on your mark.

BCom 2016 | Finance & Accounting
Sauder School of Business | UBC

Conversation Jump