Browse Our Top Categories

3 Pages <123>
Engineering Info? Options ▼
rightsaidfred
#21 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:28:20 PM
Rank: Student Council


Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 347
Quote:
You literally have no clue what you're talking about.

1. And my experience with people in the military means nothing?
2. Yes, you are agreeing to go to war if necessary. I agree with this, but wouldn't phrase it as a "death wish"
3. "A few years" is 2 months service for every 1 month subsidized schooling. So not quite 2 years per 1 year, but close. It would work out to 5 years of service for a 4 year degree
4. There is still an International Space Station, there are still astronauts going there (via the Russians), space exploration is not finished.


1. Correct. Because you have no idea what you're talking about. You aren't addressing my argument, which is a fact. You're arguing as if I'm making a different point. This is called a straw man argument.

2. Well that's what it is.

3. Oooh someone can read wikipedia!

4. The international space station has 6 to 10 people living on it at every given time. THe market for astronauts is more competitive than it is for acting. Also, the ISS is being decomissioned by 2030. Nasa is essentially defunct.
Chances are, you are not going to be an astronaut.
FYI, Bill Nye (yes, Bill Nye the Science Guy) applies to be an astronaut every few years but always gets rejected. What makes you think you, or this other guy, would get in?

You are giving people false hope because you are taught that following your dreams gets you somewhere. You're too concerned with "someone CAN do this" or "someone CAN do that" that you don't realize that it's a waste of time to do THIS or THAT just because you like it or think it may come to reality.

I'm not replying to you any more because you are pure and simply wrong in everything you say.
ktel
#22 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:48:18 PM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 6/3/2011
Posts: 2,118
I never denied it's difficult to be an astronaut, and I don't want to be an astronaut, but it is possible. I have worked closely with a former Canadian astronaut on a project and picked his brain about the process and his viewpoint on the future of space exploration. Just because NASA isn't sending humans into space doesn't mean its role as a research center is eliminated. If you look at the bios of astronauts you will realize you pretty much need a PhD and an MD and a pilot's licence, at least, so no wonder Bill Nye isn't an astronaut yet.

You're simply arrogant, ignorant, and inexperienced.
imaginaryengineer
#23 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:28:41 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 10/7/2011
Posts: 75
Quote:
You are giving people false hope because you are taught that following your dreams gets you somewhere


The whole astronaut thing might not work out but being motivated and attaining a degree in engineering because of that dream.....sounds worthwhile
rightsaidfred
#24 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:36:11 PM
Rank: Student Council


Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 347
imaginaryengineer wrote:
Quote:
You are giving people false hope because you are taught that following your dreams gets you somewhere


The whole astronaut thing might not work out but being motivated and attaining a degree in engineering because of that dream.....sounds worthwhile


Whoa. I never said it wouldn't.
I said it was a GREAT idea to pursue an engineering degree - you're practically guaranteed a good paying job if you manage to actually graduate.
I told him to not go to the Royal Military College UNLESS he was prepared/wanted to be in the army for a while.
iliketurtles
#25 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:43:03 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President


Joined: 1/4/2011
Posts: 782
See, the problem is that you SAY you told him not to go UNLESS he was prepared etc., but you didn't. Read your post, you never said the word "unless" or anything that implied it. That's the only reason this even started, because you claim to have written something you didn't write. All you did was tell him it's a bad idea, "only do this as a last resort", the whole "2 years of service for 1 year of education" is also wrong, which ktel already pointed out lol
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
rightsaidfred
#26 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:13:15 PM
Rank: Student Council


Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 347
iliketurtles wrote:
See, the problem is that you SAY you told him not to go UNLESS he was prepared etc., but you didn't. Read your post, you never said the word "unless" or anything that implied it. That's the only reason this even started, because you claim to have written something you didn't write. All you did was tell him it's a bad idea, "only do this as a last resort", the whole "2 years of service for 1 year of education" is also wrong, which ktel already pointed out lol


Read my first post, and then the rest of the thread which was devoted to me explaining everything I said to a bunch of asspies who think they're smart.
iliketurtles
#27 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:18:59 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President


Joined: 1/4/2011
Posts: 782
You didn't even mention RMC or the military in your first post, which is what we seem to be arguing about.
What made me seem like I think I'm smarter than you (or smart in general)?
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
rightsaidfred
#28 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:27:24 PM
Rank: Student Council


Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 347
omg lol stop replying, you aspie.
Read between the lines. I didn't even read your reply. I'm just replying.
iliketurtles
#29 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:35:36 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President


Joined: 1/4/2011
Posts: 782
Your post actually just made no sense lol. Read between the lines? It's a forum, I read what you write, there's nothing to infer or guess. Also the fact that I'm an aspie doesn't change the fact that you claim to have written something you didn't
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
rightsaidfred
#30 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:42:44 PM
Rank: Student Council


Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 347
EngStudent741 wrote:
rightsaidfred wrote:
ktel wrote:
rightsaidfred, you sound incredibly ignorant. I know many people in the air force, and while it is possible to get called to war, they spend a lot of their time on less dangerous deployments to Europe or the US. RMC is a GREAT option if you can't afford your education. Yes you have to give a few years of service afterwards, but you get your university paid for and then you're guaranteed a job afterwards. Plus if you want to be an astronaut and are male, you should probably go to RMC and learn how to fly a plane and be an engineer.

1. I speak from experience or because I talk to people who have experience.
2. My arguments are all sound and logical. Joining the army is a death wish. Just because not everybody does dangerous missions does not change the fact that when you join the army, you are putting your life on the line if necessary. I don't see what's so hard to understand here. You have to sign a contract saying this.
3. "A few years" is 2 years of service for every 1 year of school paid.
4. There are no more astronauts. Canada has no space industry, and NASA's entire shuttle fleet has been retired. Obama also cut NASA's funding. If you want to be an astronaut, your best bet is to build a time machine and travel back in time to 1969.


1. What makes your people any more correct than the people anyone else talks to? And even if they are, does that mean that their opinions are correct for every single person in the army?

2. Agreeing to potentially put your life on the line is NOT the same as having a death wish. Again, you're generalising what you've heard from a few people to apply to the entire army, which is ridiculous.

4. There are still astronauts. Through NASA, through other space agencies, and now private companies. On this one you're just wrong.


1. THe fact that my people don't lie or sugarcoat things.
2. I'm generalizing based on: the Iraq war, 9/11, the invasion of Afghanistan, Libya, and Pakistan, what Israel is doing to Palestine, Gulf War, Vietnam, Korean War, WWII, Cold War, and every other war in history since 1776, including those that didn't even have to do with America.
It's a definition. End of story.
4.
Name the private companies that train astronauts and have space-faring capabilities.
ANd if there are 60 astronauts in the country, calculate the probability of you becoming one.
Name another space agency besides NASA.
And again - NASA is defunct. Stop it.
iliketurtles
#31 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:50:17 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President


Joined: 1/4/2011
Posts: 782
No one I've ever talked to sugar coated it. They just didn't die. I don't think you can really sugarcoat or lie about that.
Joining the army does not mean you will die. Yes, there is a chance of you dying, but people do it anyways. Why? Not your problem, my problem, or anyone's problem but theirs. Not everyone who wants to join the army wants to die, in fact I would think very little people who want to join the army actually want to die. They're just willing to risk their lives for something. Again, not my problem, your problem, or anyone else's but theirs.
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
g93
#32 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:01:46 PM
Rank: Student Body President




Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 2,920
rightsaidfred wrote:
the rest of the thread which was devoted to me explaining everything I said to a bunch of asspies who think they're smart.

You know, perhaps we could listen to the completely valid points made by the forum member who has completed an undergraduate degree and is now conducting research while completing a Masters of Aerospace Science at the UofT?

...or, you know, we could just pretend that they are foolish, incompetent and have no real-life experience and have never come into contact with people who are considered experts on these types of subjects. Yeah, that makes more sense. What was I thinking?
rightsaidfred
#33 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:07:42 PM
Rank: Student Council


Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 347
Quote:
You know, perhaps we could listen to the completely valid points made by the forum member who has completed an undergraduate degree and is now conducting research while completing a Masters of Aerospace Science at the UofT?

This has nothing to do with the thread.
As well, these two are attacking me based purely on what I said - not on how factual what I said was.
g93
#34 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:10:15 PM
Rank: Student Body President




Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 2,920
rightsaidfred wrote:
Quote:
You know, perhaps we could listen to the completely valid points made by the forum member who has completed an undergraduate degree and is now conducting research while completing a Masters of Aerospace Science at the UofT?

This has nothing to do with the thread.
As well, these two are attacking me based purely on what I said - not on how factual what I said was.

No, ktel just tried to provide factual information, then you basically said that ktel's posts were wrong and she didn't know what she was talking about. The fact that she does know what she is talking about has everything to do with this thread.
iliketurtles
#35 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:14:19 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President


Joined: 1/4/2011
Posts: 782
The fact that what you said is true does not mean what we said is not true. Some of your points were factual, some of them were not.
Also, I'm pretty sure I've already said multiple times that the problem is that you claim to have written something you didn't actually write.
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
EngStudent741
#36 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:22:02 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 11/15/2011
Posts: 15
rightsaidfred wrote:


1. THe fact that my people don't lie or sugarcoat things.
2. I'm generalizing based on: the Iraq war, 9/11, the invasion of Afghanistan, Libya, and Pakistan, what Israel is doing to Palestine, Gulf War, Vietnam, Korean War, WWII, Cold War, and every other war in history since 1776, including those that didn't even have to do with America.
It's a definition. End of story.
4.
Name the private companies that train astronauts and have space-faring capabilities.
ANd if there are 60 astronauts in the country, calculate the probability of you becoming one.
Name another space agency besides NASA.
And again - NASA is defunct. Stop it.


1. That is just a stupid argument. I'm sure they do just as much as anyone else.

2. Doesn't really make any sense. You have listed a number of wars, which is great, but doesn't mean anything. For example, if I was to list a bunch of fruit to refute your argument, it would be equally valid. Banana, orange, pineapple. Take that!

4. Someone can't read wikipedia: Space Agencies

Also, your comment on something someone said not being related to the thread. Read through your posts and tell me which are related to engineering info. While you are reading them, note that what you said was not to go to RMC because you will have to be in the army and that will ruin your life. You didn't say don't go to RMC unless you want to. Specifically you said "NO. Do not do this". I see no "unless" there.

Anyways, I'm done here because it seems responding to your ridiculous posts just takes the topic even further from it's original point, so sorry to the author for that.

EDIT: Just got back from talking with a current NASA astronaut. He was very real :)
ktel
#37 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 8:45:51 AM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 6/3/2011
Posts: 2,118
g93 wrote:
rightsaidfred wrote:
the rest of the thread which was devoted to me explaining everything I said to a bunch of asspies who think they're smart.

You know, perhaps we could listen to the completely valid points made by the forum member who has completed an undergraduate degree and is now conducting research while completing a Masters of Aerospace Science at the UofT?

...or, you know, we could just pretend that they are foolish, incompetent and have no real-life experience and have never come into contact with people who are considered experts on these types of subjects. Yeah, that makes more sense. What was I thinking?


Ha ha thanks. To be fair I'm a little immature to be arguing this fiercely with a 16-year-old on the Internet who has no clue what he's talking about, but there's so much false information being spread on this forum I often feel the need to step in.

Drew Feustel was at U of T recently and showed some super cool videos from his two space missions. If you're American your chances of being an astronaut are WAY higher. They recruit every year. Canada every 5-10 years.
EngStudent741
#38 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 11:41:00 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 11/15/2011
Posts: 15
ktel wrote:
g93 wrote:
rightsaidfred wrote:
the rest of the thread which was devoted to me explaining everything I said to a bunch of asspies who think they're smart.

You know, perhaps we could listen to the completely valid points made by the forum member who has completed an undergraduate degree and is now conducting research while completing a Masters of Aerospace Science at the UofT?

...or, you know, we could just pretend that they are foolish, incompetent and have no real-life experience and have never come into contact with people who are considered experts on these types of subjects. Yeah, that makes more sense. What was I thinking?


Ha ha thanks. To be fair I'm a little immature to be arguing this fiercely with a 16-year-old on the Internet who has no clue what he's talking about, but there's so much false information being spread on this forum I often feel the need to step in.

Drew Feustel was at U of T recently and showed some super cool videos from his two space missions. If you're American your chances of being an astronaut are WAY higher. They recruit every year. Canada every 5-10 years.


Haha yeah, that's the astronaut I was talking about.
MegaDaanish
#39 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:35:48 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 7/25/2011
Posts: 12
But york also offers space engineering?

rightsaidfred wrote:
There are only three that offer it.
University of Toronto - Engineering Science
Carleton University - Aerospace Engineering
Ryerson University - Aerospace Engineering

That's your three right there.

ktel
#40 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:50:52 AM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 6/3/2011
Posts: 2,118
Yeah UTIAS profs definitely teach some Eng Sci courses, I will TA some Eng Sci courses as well,
3 Pages <123>
Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.