Browse Our Top Categories

Textbooks! Options ▼
stewartlee1991
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:21:26 PM

Hey all!

Hope you're all doing good.

Just wondering, do y'all buy your textbooks brand new each year or do you buy used? I've seen some sites around where you can pick up used books (along with other stuff like notes)...has anyone used these? Any suggestions on the better sites?

Thanks all :)

Stewart.
ktel
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:42:33 PM

I typically prefer to buy them new, but that's just preference. Often I HAVE to buy them new because it's a new edition or something.
ARMY101
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:56:02 PM

I always bought them new in university. Used books were, well, used. They had another person's notes and highlighting in them, which were helpful for THAT PERSON but not particularly me. They were also damaged. New books are the way to go.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
Emlily
#4 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 2:35:22 PM

I prefer new but when you don't have the cash used OR renting is a good option. There are alot of sites for selling textbooks (locAZu, studyfrog, studentbiz, craiglist, kijiji) or you can look at the bulletin boards around your campus...usually some people post lists of books they are selling or renting.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
kraken
#5 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 7:41:59 PM

I sometimes buy used to save cash, but only if I can see them first to make sure they aren't written in/really wrecked up. (aka from the bookstore, not from randoms online etc.)
University of Toronto (Trinity College)
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Psychology, questionable graduating year
emilykrys
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:55:19 AM

My sister is going to pass her books on to me for most subjects but I might just order ebooks for the rest since there so expensive.
oshien
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:56:12 PM

You can also try tusbe.com, i don't know if it works all over canada but students in toronto ontario definitely use this site alot!! they are used books and are wayyyyyy cheaper and in good conditions too most of the time
rightsaidfred
#8 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 12:44:58 AM

Buy used if you can.
I'm not even in university yet.
I've got:

1. Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus (the older course) - cost me $5
2. Calculus (Stewart), 5th ed; came with a bunch of midterms/exams + solutions - $10
3. Elementary Linear Algebra - $5
4. Introductory Mathematical Analysis - $5

Trying to look for Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Randall D. Knight for a decent price. Gonna work through these before university next year.

My point is, look for them. Get older versions. I'd almost go so far as to say new text books are a rip off. Maybe not quite a rip off... but they're seriously expensive.
Buy used if you can!
ktel
#9 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 8:46:43 AM

rightsaidfred wrote:
Gonna work through these before university next year.

Why? You take courses for a reason. Enjoy your summer for Gods sake.
rightsaidfred
#10 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 2:02:39 PM

Well, I have a year off. I'm not in school.
I actually enjoy studying mathematics and physics in my spare time. Since I do, I figured I may as well get through first year before first year.

When I get to those courses, I'll be able to do everything with un-laboured flawlessness anyway. That's all I care about. I go to university for the marks and the piece of paper I get at the end. I can learn all the course material myself more quickly and more efficiently. And for fun!
ktel
#11 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 2:55:06 PM

Fair enough, but I could suggest many more useful things you could do with your year off. Working in an engineering firm, for example, or getting research experience. Much more relevant to your more distant future.
rightsaidfred
#12 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 5:04:25 PM

What for? Coop experience is something I'm gonna be going to university for. :)
Besides... this is just what I do in my spare time. I'm not spending 12 hours a day just doing textbook work.
ktel
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:53:17 AM

Right but think about how much easier it would be to get a really good co-op job if you could show you got a relevant job out of high school.
sarahermias
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:08:53 PM

PLEASE HELP EVERYONE!

whoever gets the most likes on their photo wins a nikon! I've been saving up for years now, and still can't afford one. winning this would be my dream come true ='[

please click this link and like the pic! (and please, ONLY my pic lol).

That's all it takes! thanks so SO MUCH, I'll forever appreciate it =D. ps this is NOT a virus, its a facebook page lol

https://www.facebook.com...02&type=1&ref=nf
BritanyT
#15 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 1:59:01 PM

stewartlee1991 wrote:
Hey all!

Hope you're all doing good.

Just wondering, do y'all buy your textbooks brand new each year or do you buy used? I've seen some sites around where you can pick up used books (along with other stuff like notes)...has anyone used these? Any suggestions on the better sites?

Thanks all :)

Stewart.

Hey,

Just want to toss this out in the hope that it can help someone (if nothing else to get access to cheap books). College Book Renter is having a Tuition Contest contest where you can win a year of free tuition. All you need to do is like their facebook page. It is only available in the US, though. :(

Good Luck!!!

Britany
SmartyPup
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 9:51:11 AM

In all honesty, I've been getting really lucky with used books. I've been using Kijiji and UsedOttawa (well, you'd use 'Used[insert town name here]), and I've connected with students selling textbooks that they used last term, looks brand new, no marks, for way less than I coud have bought them anywhere else.
For my Chem program, I need a textbook called 'Chemistry 1st Canadian Edition', by Olmsted. Buying new, this book is about $160 (give or take) brand new. I bought it for $70 (still a lot, but much better!) but this textbook never looked like it had been open. It was perfect. So, it's all up to personal preference, but I like buying used books so I can save money (I really have no choice, I can't justify spending $160 on a pile of paper when I can get it cheaper). Just make sure the seller is willing to let you look at the book before purchasing- lots do.
This way, I've saved money, got like-new books, and it's the current edition needed. (Many people are right, if you buy the edition before, it still works fine- they only change a few things usually, but most publishers have the 'What's new in this edition' if you look online for it- to see if it's worth it).
Luckily, I also have a friend who took some courses over the summer to kick-start her first year at the same school in a similar program, and she's lending them to me for the semester. There are just so many options!
Finally, from my humble opinion, if you're going to go new on any books, at least buy the ones you want to keep and the ones that are a staple in your Major (keep new Chem book if you're going into Chem), but if you're buying a book for an elective, it's up to you. So that's my experience. Good luck!
Carleton University- Integrated Science With Concentration in Forensic Science Minor in Psychology-Class of 2016

Follow your dreams, make your fate, and go for it. If one door closes, another one will open.
Stephaniewhitman
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 6:50:45 PM

Well it depends on the situation.
If edition hasn't changed I would like to go for the used ones.
Conversation Jump