Browse Our Top Categories

Buying a car for university Options ▼
KingKhan
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:01:23 PM

I'm pretty clueless about this, what would be a decent car and how much should I spend? Would it be a good idea to lease one?
Applied to:

Brock University - Computer Science [Accepted]
McGill - Computer Engineering [Accepted]
McMaster - Engineering I [Accepted]
Queens - Engineering [Accepted]
Western - Engineering [Accepted]

McMaster: Mechanical Engineering 16'
ARMY101
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:58:23 PM

1. Cars will suck your budget dry, and as a university student you probably can't afford one.

2. Why do you need a car?

3. A used car's price varies greatly, depending on the mileage, year, wear, rust, maintenance (and lack thereof), etc. They can be anywhere from $500 to $20,000 and be perfectly fine, or horrible.

4. Leasing a car would be the worst idea.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
ktel
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:17:19 PM

2. Because a lot of cities aren't very friendly to those without a car. I'll name Edmonton, my hometown for one. Unless you live in a select few neighborhoods.

I bought a used car for $2000. I paid for gas, my parents paid for insurance and all repairs. It would have been a lot more expensive for me if I had to pay for that stuff, as insurance is a few hundred a month and repairs were a few grand each time. We probably put another $4000 into the car easily.
kraken
#4 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 7:56:58 PM

OP, you probably don't need a car, especially if you're planning to live in res/near campus. and if you're commuting then public transit exists for a reason.
University of Toronto (Trinity College)
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Psychology, questionable graduating year
Gorges26
#5 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 5:56:02 PM

KingKhan wrote:
I'm pretty clueless about this, what would be a decent car and how much should I spend? Would it be a good idea to lease one?

I really like having my car for uni even though I don't 100% need it, but make sure you get a decent car if you do get one. By decent I don't mean expensive, just one that won't break down every week.

For example, don't buy a sh!t car like a Pontiac Grand Am (like I did), otherwise you will just have headaches with the amount of money you'll spend in repairing the car. It's not fun dealing with car problems on top of having 5 courses to worry about, living on your own, etc.
LRooke
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:57:59 PM

Buy a Triumph Scrambler or a Kawasaki Universal Japanese motorcycle for the summers, and take public transit for winter.
Slasher61
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:17:21 PM

KingKhan wrote:

You should spend this much :$0
Do you have any idea how much university costs? Investing in a car is a terrible idea. Not only are the prices of gas increasing substantially, you have to consider expeditures such as insurace and mantenance. Don't do it cause you'll regret it when you can't afford housing in 5 years.
Illuminar
#8 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 6:19:09 PM

I mean, it's not completely useless. It depends on if you're living on campus and what kind of campus you're on, as well as how much money you have to spend. I've been to suburban campuses where everyone lives in dorms but people still have cars because otherwise it's basically impossible to leave campus. Then again, these are generally really wealthy schools. Even in Philly, some upperclassmen will have cars. It's not that inconvenient if you don't actually drive it that much and if you have free parking.
Penn 13
OscarUK
#9 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 6:45:37 PM

If you're minted and can afford it, go for it. Just be prepared to be the taxi driver for all your friends while they go out and have a good time for the next few years.
McGill - Arts

KingKhan
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:09:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your insight, it's really helpful. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I will be living at home so would buying a car still be a bad idea?
Applied to:

Brock University - Computer Science [Accepted]
McGill - Computer Engineering [Accepted]
McMaster - Engineering I [Accepted]
Queens - Engineering [Accepted]
Western - Engineering [Accepted]

McMaster: Mechanical Engineering 16'
ktel
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:11:10 PM

Once again that depends on the city you are in. I lived most of my life in Edmonton, where I think it's very difficult to get by without a car. Now that I'm in Toronto it's much more common to know a lot of people who don't drive.
kraken
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:15:53 PM

KingKhan wrote:
Thanks everyone for your insight, it's really helpful. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I will be living at home so would buying a car still be a bad idea?

how far from home is your school?/is there public transit you can take instead or a family member you can get a ride from?

if you do get a car, get a cheap used one for a couple thousand like ktel did and save your money.
University of Toronto (Trinity College)
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Psychology, questionable graduating year
chickenfingerlove
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:25:43 PM

Most cities offer discounts on bussing or the bussing is included in your tuition so you get "free" bussing. So why would you need a car?
University of Western Ontario 2015
BMOS + AEO
petarpoparacrni
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:23:03 PM

KingKhan wrote:

If public transit can take you from where you are to your school in a hour or less then just go public transit. A car is really just a waste of money unless you need it.
APPLIED TO:
University of Toronto (Political Science) - ACCEPTED
York (Political Science) - ACCEPTED
Ryerson (Politics and Governance) - ACCEPTED
cosstickxx
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2011 11:28:24 PM

Unless you're commuting from home, a car is unnecessary and a waste of money
UWO Nursing 2014
Conversation Jump