Browse Our Top Categories

Why take biology? Why not? Options ▼
Starring
#1 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 12:03:16 AM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 2/11/2012
Posts: 29
I'm in grade 10, and I live in Ontario.

Course selections at my school were due yesterday, and I chose:
ENG3U1
MCR3U1
MDM4U1
SPH3U1
SBI3U1
SCH4U1 (I'm taking grade 11 chemistry right now)
BAF3M1
BBB4M1 (There are no prerequisites required for this course, and I heard it was really easy, so I just thought I'd take it in grade 11, because I know I want to take it in grade 12.)

I've changed my mind a million and one times before submitting it, and I've already began second-guessing my decision again.

I've had absolutely NO idea what university program I wanted to go into (there aren't any subjects in school that I really enjoy that would end up being useful and lead to a good career... The only courses that I've said I 'liked', I only liked because it was easy, to be honest with myself) until I had grade 10 business last semester. After taking this course, I've been leaning towards business. I kind of want to go into it now, but I'm still not too sure. If not business, I would probably go into science. Not because I really like science or anything, but because it seems to be the only other option for me, as I'm not artsy, and I'm not sure what I'd do with a math degree...

I know for sure that I don't want to become a doctor (definitely will not be able to handle med school). The only thing I would consider (having to do with medicine) would be to become a pharmacist. But I still chose to take biology because I wanted to keep my options open. I don't want to close any doors for myself. What if I suddenly had a passion for something that requires biology (or is strongly recommended) during grade 11? And I might actually end up enjoying biology (I had no particular like or dislike for it last semester-I just hated all of grade 10 science because I had arguably the worst grade 10 teacher in the school), though it seems very unlikely right now.

I know that for many science programs, you just need two sciences (so as long as I'm taking physics and chemistry, it should be fine...), but it seems as if most people suggest that for the two, you should pick chemistry and biology? I really want to take physics though. Though, at the moment, I'd still prefer to go into business.

My schedule for next year looks really tough, and I'm feeling a little intimidated. I'm worried that I really won't be handle 3 sciences (one of them being a grade 12 course) and grade 11 math (I heard grade 11 math was the hardest out of the four). I'm also terrible (really, really, terrible) at memorizing, and I know that biology is just a whole lot of memorization. So I'd have to work extra hard for this course, even though most of my other courses (I heard physics is just brutal) should have more effort put into it as well.

Should I ask to switch biology to another course? If I do, I was thinking about French.
jelly
#2 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 12:48:12 AM
Rank: Student Body President




Joined: 4/11/2011
Posts: 1,176
Its great that you're fasttracking a bunch of courses, it'll be useful to you later. If you really don't wanna close any doors, just take all the sciences. The workload is noticeably heavier than grade 10, but by no means undoable. I personally did not find grade 11 math particularly challenging, it was slightly harder than grade 10, but I found physics harder. Just take your sciences and see if you continue to enjoy them. If you don't, just stop taking them in grade 12 and focus on business courses.
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering
Class of 2017
ktel
#3 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 10:16:29 AM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 6/3/2011
Posts: 2,118
I think keeping doors open is an amazing plan. I too had no strong idea what I wanted to take in university, but the courses I took in high school kept every single option open to me (math, history, English, bio, chem, physics). My entire schedule was core courses, I had no options (full IB). The workload was definitely good prep for university! But I didn't find it too difficult, it was mostly juggling that and ECs that was tough.
brady23
#4 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 2:24:44 PM
Rank: Student Council




Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 375
Starring wrote:
I'm in grade 10, and I live in Ontario.

Course selections at my school were due yesterday, and I chose:
ENG3U1
MCR3U1
MDM4U1
SPH3U1
SBI3U1
SCH4U1 (I'm taking grade 11 chemistry right now)
BAF3M1
BBB4M1 (There are no prerequisites required for this course, and I heard it was really easy, so I just thought I'd take it in grade 11, because I know I want to take it in grade 12.)

I've changed my mind a million and one times before submitting it, and I've already began second-guessing my decision again.

I've had absolutely NO idea what university program I wanted to go into (there aren't any subjects in school that I really enjoy that would end up being useful and lead to a good career... The only courses that I've said I 'liked', I only liked because it was easy, to be honest with myself) until I had grade 10 business last semester. After taking this course, I've been leaning towards business. I kind of want to go into it now, but I'm still not too sure. If not business, I would probably go into science. Not because I really like science or anything, but because it seems to be the only other option for me, as I'm not artsy, and I'm not sure what I'd do with a math degree...

I know for sure that I don't want to become a doctor (definitely will not be able to handle med school). The only thing I would consider (having to do with medicine) would be to become a pharmacist. But I still chose to take biology because I wanted to keep my options open. I don't want to close any doors for myself. What if I suddenly had a passion for something that requires biology (or is strongly recommended) during grade 11? And I might actually end up enjoying biology (I had no particular like or dislike for it last semester-I just hated all of grade 10 science because I had arguably the worst grade 10 teacher in the school), though it seems very unlikely right now.

I know that for many science programs, you just need two sciences (so as long as I'm taking physics and chemistry, it should be fine...), but it seems as if most people suggest that for the two, you should pick chemistry and biology? I really want to take physics though. Though, at the moment, I'd still prefer to go into business.

My schedule for next year looks really tough, and I'm feeling a little intimidated. I'm worried that I really won't be handle 3 sciences (one of them being a grade 12 course) and grade 11 math (I heard grade 11 math was the hardest out of the four). I'm also terrible (really, really, terrible) at memorizing, and I know that biology is just a whole lot of memorization. So I'd have to work extra hard for this course, even though most of my other courses (I heard physics is just brutal) should have more effort put into it as well.

Should I ask to switch biology to another course? If I do, I was thinking about French.


Your courses are great, but don't take Chemistry 12 in grade 11. Chemistry 12 is a prerequisite for many programs, so if you do bad in it, you can't even drop it, and plus if you decide to enter a science program, your chemistry knowledge might not be as strong because you've done it over 2 years ago. Some people did that, and were getting 50s-60s in it and they could not drop it. Take French instead because you'll always have that option of taking it in grade 12 if you like it in grade 11, and French is a good course for grade 12. But only take French 11 if you think you may want to take French 12, or else it would be better to replace that with BOH4M. I know you don't like the social science courses like Food and Nutrition 12 and Individual and Families 12, but find out if these are average boosters in grade 12 to see if you should take them. In grade 12, you should have at least two average boosters (that are not prerequisites) to have in your top 6.

Data 12 is a good course to take because it is not a prerequisite for most programs and BBB4M is a great course to take because it is not a prerequisite and a huge average booster. Your courses are great, you'll be able to apply to every single program you want.

I think you should take Biology. Grade 11 marks do not matter, it's just a year to find out what you're good at. Grade 11 is the year where you will find out if you are good at the sciences or business, and if you can get good marks in them. If you get a 60 in Biology, so what, then don't pick it in grade 12. There's a lot more cons of not taking Biology (like closing a lot of doors) so unless you are 100% SURE you don't want to go into sciences, I suggest taking Biology.

Plus biology 12 is way different than the science 9 and 10 where you only do one unit of biology. Plus I had a horrible grade 10 science teacher, but grade 11 was so much better.

Don't stress, you'll do a lot of that in grade 12 :P

Good luck!
Applying to:


McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)


"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
Starring
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:03:17 AM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 2/11/2012
Posts: 29
brady23 wrote:
Your courses are great, but don't take Chemistry 12 in grade 11. Chemistry 12 is a prerequisite for many programs, so if you do bad in it, you can't even drop it, and plus if you decide to enter a science program, your chemistry knowledge might not be as strong because you've done it over 2 years ago. Some people did that, and were getting 50s-60s in it and they could not drop it. Take French instead because you'll always have that option of taking it in grade 12 if you like it in grade 11, and French is a good course for grade 12. But only take French 11 if you think you may want to take French 12, or else it would be better to replace that with BOH4M. I know you don't like the social science courses like Food and Nutrition 12 and Individual and Families 12, but find out if these are average boosters in grade 12 to see if you should take them. In grade 12, you should have at least two average boosters (that are not prerequisites) to have in your top 6.

Data 12 is a good course to take because it is not a prerequisite for most programs and BBB4M is a great course to take because it is not a prerequisite and a huge average booster. Your courses are great, you'll be able to apply to every single program you want.

I think you should take Biology. Grade 11 marks do not matter, it's just a year to find out what you're good at. Grade 11 is the year where you will find out if you are good at the sciences or business, and if you can get good marks in them. If you get a 60 in Biology, so what, then don't pick it in grade 12. There's a lot more cons of not taking Biology (like closing a lot of doors) so unless you are 100% SURE you don't want to go into sciences, I suggest taking Biology.

Plus biology 12 is way different than the science 9 and 10 where you only do one unit of biology. Plus I had a horrible grade 10 science teacher, but grade 11 was so much better.

Don't stress, you'll do a lot of that in grade 12 :P

Good luck!

First of all, thanks for reading all of my rambling. And I really appreciate your advice! I really do feel a lot better about my courses now. :) Hopefully I'll be able to handle it all next year!

Regarding the bit about taking grade 12 chemistry in grade 11... Well, you see, my dilemma here would then be that I'm currently taking grade 11 chemistry. So if I didn't take it next year, I'd have two years of not taking chemistry between grade 10 and grade 12, and this could really hurt my grade 12 chemistry marks, and might ruin the chances of me getting into university in the first place. Do you think it'd be enough for me to look over my grade 12 chemistry notes (that I took in grade 11) before going off to uni? (If I do end up going into a science program.)
Starring
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:46:46 AM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 2/11/2012
Posts: 29
ktel wrote:
it was mostly juggling that and ECs that was tough.


Do you mind telling me how many ECs you had and how many hours a day you spent on an EC? Did you have something for every day of the week? Were you able to complete all your homework assignments? Did you get enough sleep?

And-this is kind of off topic, but-do you know how universities look at part time jobs? I want one, but I'd probably have to drop some ECs, and I don't have very many or very impressive ones in the first place. If you have a part time job, do they still expect you to have several impressive ECs (my marks aren't super great, I'd probably be pretty close to the cut-off)? Or would I be fine with just two during the school year, and maybe additional volunteer work in the summer (though I'd also want a full time job while off of school...). I'm also afraid that getting a part time job would have a negative impact on my marks... Should I just focus on school during the school year and look to get a summer job?
ktel
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:09:12 PM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 6/3/2011
Posts: 2,118
Starring wrote:
ktel wrote:
it was mostly juggling that and ECs that was tough.


Do you mind telling me how many ECs you had and how many hours a day you spent on an EC? Did you have something for every day of the week? Were you able to complete all your homework assignments? Did you get enough sleep?

And-this is kind of off topic, but-do you know how universities look at part time jobs? I want one, but I'd probably have to drop some ECs, and I don't have very many or very impressive ones in the first place. If you have a part time job, do they still expect you to have several impressive ECs (my marks aren't super great, I'd probably be pretty close to the cut-off)? Or would I be fine with just two during the school year, and maybe additional volunteer work in the summer (though I'd also want a full time job while off of school...). I'm also afraid that getting a part time job would have a negative impact on my marks... Should I just focus on school during the school year and look to get a summer job?


Well, that was 5 years ago so I'll try to think. I did a combination of sports and leadership activities, and was probably easily spending 1-2 hours per day on these activities, when it got busy I would often not leave school until 6 or 7pm so 3-4 hours a day. Here's what I have written down for a scholarship app I did, for my grade 12 ECs:

Student Chair Titan Volleyball Tournament - Led a committee of 20 students in its organization Feb 2006-Nov 2006
Approximately 10 hours per week

Commencement Co-Chairperson
Grad Committee - Leading a committee of 6 in organizing the ceremonies
Nov 2006-June 2007
Varies from 5-10 hours per week

Co-Chair
'Mystery Project"- Leading a group that promotes student recognition for a variety of achievements
Jan 2007-April 2007
1-2 hours per week

Team member
Senior Women’s Rugby - I encourage my teammates and lead by example
Feb 2007-June 2007
Approximately 3 hours per week

So yes, I had something every day of the week. I always completed all my homework and always got at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

I had a part-time job for a few months in grade 12 but it quickly became too much with all my ECs and school. I don't think universities even care, to be honest. The only part where my ECs mattered was for scholarship applications, and I think the ECs mattered more than the job. I received a lot of scholarship money, but I also had really high marks. So there might be a point where a job would make you more money than what you would hopefully earn from scholarships, depending on how well you do in school and the quality of your ECs.
Starring
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:05:17 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 2/11/2012
Posts: 29
Wow, that's amazing! Thanks. I don't know how you managed to get 8 hours of sleep every night with all of that! I feel so overwhelmed with homework sometimes, and I just don't have time for it all. I don't remember the last time I got 8 hours of sleep (other than on the weekends).
Well, I was just wondering if they'd be understanding of a lack of ECs if someone had a part time job on the side as well. If they still expect some pretty great ECs, I probably shouldn't get a job.
ktel
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:33:40 PM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 6/3/2011
Posts: 2,118
I will note that I had more than one mental breakdown in grade 12 where I would just start crying because I was so stressed out. Ask my parents. But yes I slept and got stuff done.

It depends on who you are referring to when you say "they". Some programs, for example, business programs, might look very fondly on a part-time job because it's real experience. I don't think most scholarships care to be honest.
brady23
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:46:15 PM
Rank: Student Council




Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 375
Starring wrote:
brady23 wrote:
Your courses are great, but don't take Chemistry 12 in grade 11. Chemistry 12 is a prerequisite for many programs, so if you do bad in it, you can't even drop it, and plus if you decide to enter a science program, your chemistry knowledge might not be as strong because you've done it over 2 years ago. Some people did that, and were getting 50s-60s in it and they could not drop it. Take French instead because you'll always have that option of taking it in grade 12 if you like it in grade 11, and French is a good course for grade 12. But only take French 11 if you think you may want to take French 12, or else it would be better to replace that with BOH4M. I know you don't like the social science courses like Food and Nutrition 12 and Individual and Families 12, but find out if these are average boosters in grade 12 to see if you should take them. In grade 12, you should have at least two average boosters (that are not prerequisites) to have in your top 6.

Data 12 is a good course to take because it is not a prerequisite for most programs and BBB4M is a great course to take because it is not a prerequisite and a huge average booster. Your courses are great, you'll be able to apply to every single program you want.

I think you should take Biology. Grade 11 marks do not matter, it's just a year to find out what you're good at. Grade 11 is the year where you will find out if you are good at the sciences or business, and if you can get good marks in them. If you get a 60 in Biology, so what, then don't pick it in grade 12. There's a lot more cons of not taking Biology (like closing a lot of doors) so unless you are 100% SURE you don't want to go into sciences, I suggest taking Biology.

Plus biology 12 is way different than the science 9 and 10 where you only do one unit of biology. Plus I had a horrible grade 10 science teacher, but grade 11 was so much better.

Don't stress, you'll do a lot of that in grade 12 :P

Good luck!

First of all, thanks for reading all of my rambling. And I really appreciate your advice! I really do feel a lot better about my courses now. :) Hopefully I'll be able to handle it all next year!

Regarding the bit about taking grade 12 chemistry in grade 11... Well, you see, my dilemma here would then be that I'm currently taking grade 11 chemistry. So if I didn't take it next year, I'd have two years of not taking chemistry between grade 10 and grade 12, and this could really hurt my grade 12 chemistry marks, and might ruin the chances of me getting into university in the first place. Do you think it'd be enough for me to look over my grade 12 chemistry notes (that I took in grade 11) before going off to uni? (If I do end up going into a science program.)


Grade 11 Chemistry is not really important to do well in grade 12. A week's worth review of the content, and you'll be ready for Grade 12 Chemistry. I think it would have a more detrimental effect of not doing Chem 12 for 2 years and going to uni chem than not doing 11 chem and going to 12 chem. It won't really hurt your grade 12 marks. There's only bits and pieces you need to know about chem 11 like your solution concentrations formulas, gas formulas, stoichiometry, balancing chemical reactions, and the intermolecular forces and VSEPR.

This can easily be reviewed a week before you begin Chem 12, or even as you go through Chem 12. But Chem 12 has a lot more complicated concepts that will affect you more when you haven't done it for 2 years. There's 10x content you need to know from chem 12 than from chem 11. And it won't be enough for you to look over your gr 12 chem notes before university, because there's a LOT to know - equilibrium calculations (there's like 10 different types of problems), Organic Chemistry (10 reactions and nomenclature), Energy Changes, Reaction Rates, Hybridization, etc.

I think you should take in grade 12 , plus in grade 12 you'll always have that option of dropping it and taking it next semester/in night school if you don't do well..


Applying to:


McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)


"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
Starring
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:06:50 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 2/11/2012
Posts: 29
ktel wrote:
I will note that I had more than one mental breakdown in grade 12 where I would just start crying because I was so stressed out. Ask my parents. But yes I slept and got stuff done.

It depends on who you are referring to when you say "they". Some programs, for example, business programs, might look very fondly on a part-time job because it's real experience. I don't think most scholarships care to be honest.


Ah, I really am scared I'm just setting myself up for a whole load of stress in grade 11/12... /:

Thanks for the info !

brady23 wrote:
Grade 11 Chemistry is not really important to do well in grade 12. A week's worth review of the content, and you'll be ready for Grade 12 Chemistry. I think it would have a more detrimental effect of not doing Chem 12 for 2 years and going to uni chem than not doing 11 chem and going to 12 chem. It won't really hurt your grade 12 marks. There's only bits and pieces you need to know about chem 11 like your solution concentrations formulas, gas formulas, stoichiometry, balancing chemical reactions, and the intermolecular forces and VSEPR.

This can easily be reviewed a week before you begin Chem 12, or even as you go through Chem 12. But Chem 12 has a lot more complicated concepts that will affect you more when you haven't done it for 2 years. There's 10x content you need to know from chem 12 than from chem 11. And it won't be enough for you to look over your gr 12 chem notes before university, because there's a LOT to know - equilibrium calculations (there's like 10 different types of problems), Organic Chemistry (10 reactions and nomenclature), Energy Changes, Reaction Rates, Hybridization, etc.

I think you should take in grade 12 , plus in grade 12 you'll always have that option of dropping it and taking it next semester/in night school if you don't do well..


Thank you so much for the help! I think you saved me from a lot of trouble in university if I ended up going into a science program. I'll talk to my guidance counsellor about changing my courses as soon as I can! I really do hope I decide that at least one of the sciences are not for me so I'm not overwhelmed with all three in grade 12 (it's really the only reason I took grade 11 chemistry this year and planned to take grade 12 chemistry in grade 11)!

And from experience, how important do you think spares are in grade 12?

Because I was thinking about my grade 12 courses, and I was thinking English, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, Chemistry, Physics, (I'm just going to assume I wouldn't want to take biology), Financial Accounting, and Analyzing Current Economics. That's 7, so in one semester, I wouldn't have a spare. But if I do end up liking biology in grade 11 and take it in grade 12, I'd have no spares. Even if I don't end up liking biology, I was also thinking about taking French in place of grade 12 chemistry for grade 11. If I do well in French, I'd definitely want to take it in grade 12, leaving me with no spares in both semesters. I was thinking of maybe even taking grade 12 English in grade 11 just to give me space for a spare in grade 12?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again, I really can't thank you enough!
ktel
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:22:17 PM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 6/3/2011
Posts: 2,118
I'm going to give you another opinion. The way my brain works is I can forget a subject really quickly but I remember it really quickly upon review. So it wouldn't matter for me if I took 2 months or 2 years between learning the subject and reviewing it, it would be the same. Hence why I would personally take grade 12 chem in grade 11 to make my grade 12 workload easier. Something to think about.
Starring
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:20:29 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 2/11/2012
Posts: 29
Ah, that's also true... I really am worried about having too much work in grade 12, and less courses to worry about would definitely help me do better in other courses. /: It would also solve my problem with having spares in grade 12.
I'm usually like that too, actually. But I'm not sure... If grade 12 chemistry is really THAT difficult, I'm not sure if a review would be enough. I haven't had any experience with an extremely difficult course yet, so a review seems like it'd be enough for me, just sitting here thinking about it now, but I don't know if it would be if the course was super hard?
Thanks for the second opinion!
brady23
#14 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 1:22:22 AM
Rank: Student Council




Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 375
Starring wrote:
ktel wrote:
I will note that I had more than one mental breakdown in grade 12 where I would just start crying because I was so stressed out. Ask my parents. But yes I slept and got stuff done.

It depends on who you are referring to when you say "they". Some programs, for example, business programs, might look very fondly on a part-time job because it's real experience. I don't think most scholarships care to be honest.


Ah, I really am scared I'm just setting myself up for a whole load of stress in grade 11/12... /:

Thanks for the info !

brady23 wrote:
Grade 11 Chemistry is not really important to do well in grade 12. A week's worth review of the content, and you'll be ready for Grade 12 Chemistry. I think it would have a more detrimental effect of not doing Chem 12 for 2 years and going to uni chem than not doing 11 chem and going to 12 chem. It won't really hurt your grade 12 marks. There's only bits and pieces you need to know about chem 11 like your solution concentrations formulas, gas formulas, stoichiometry, balancing chemical reactions, and the intermolecular forces and VSEPR.

This can easily be reviewed a week before you begin Chem 12, or even as you go through Chem 12. But Chem 12 has a lot more complicated concepts that will affect you more when you haven't done it for 2 years. There's 10x content you need to know from chem 12 than from chem 11. And it won't be enough for you to look over your gr 12 chem notes before university, because there's a LOT to know - equilibrium calculations (there's like 10 different types of problems), Organic Chemistry (10 reactions and nomenclature), Energy Changes, Reaction Rates, Hybridization, etc.

I think you should take in grade 12 , plus in grade 12 you'll always have that option of dropping it and taking it next semester/in night school if you don't do well..


Thank you so much for the help! I think you saved me from a lot of trouble in university if I ended up going into a science program. I'll talk to my guidance counsellor about changing my courses as soon as I can! I really do hope I decide that at least one of the sciences are not for me so I'm not overwhelmed with all three in grade 12 (it's really the only reason I took grade 11 chemistry this year and planned to take grade 12 chemistry in grade 11)!

And from experience, how important do you think spares are in grade 12?

Because I was thinking about my grade 12 courses, and I was thinking English, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, Chemistry, Physics, (I'm just going to assume I wouldn't want to take biology), Financial Accounting, and Analyzing Current Economics. That's 7, so in one semester, I wouldn't have a spare. But if I do end up liking biology in grade 11 and take it in grade 12, I'd have no spares. Even if I don't end up liking biology, I was also thinking about taking French in place of grade 12 chemistry for grade 11. If I do well in French, I'd definitely want to take it in grade 12, leaving me with no spares in both semesters. I was thinking of maybe even taking grade 12 English in grade 11 just to give me space for a spare in grade 12?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again, I really can't thank you enough!


No problem, I remember being one of you! :P
But taking all 3 sciences isn't a bad idea. The only reason I would drop a science is if I was 100% sure I wanted to go into Engineering (in this case, taking Bio would be a waste). Other than that, taking all 3 sciences is beneficial especially for Life Sciences or Nursing or any other health care program. For example, Life Science people may not take Physics in grade 12, but Physics can still help you if you go into Life Science, especially if you want to become a doctor, because it is on the MCAT. Taking all 3 sciences is just about keeping your options open, because some first year university courses may require physics, and if you didn't take it, a lot of your options are closed. And because Physics won't even count in your top 6, your taking it more for knowledge than for getting a good mark.

And most people can balance all 3 effectively, chances are not all 3 sciences will be in your top 6. I took Physics as an elective, but I'm not going to stress myself to get a high mark in it, I'm putting more focus on Biology and Chemistry. You never know where Physics might come up in University.

Spares I don't think are necessary, but if you use them well, they are SUPER helpful. It's not really used for studying for a test because you have friends around you and stuff, but it can be used to complete homework (especially math which takes 2 hrs) and saves a lot of time. If you do well in Data and International Business (by well I mean 90s), then take the spares because you'll likely have 4 mandatory courses in your top 6. But, if not, I wouldn't take a spare, I would just take 8 courses, because if you do blow 2 courses or something, you might be able to save yourself with the other 6 courses. For example, I took 8 courses, so if I blow Physics, it won't even matter, but if I only took 6 or 7 courses, it is likely that two of my low marks - Advanced Functions (81) & Physics (taking it now) would be included in my top 6, which would drop my average a lot!

Wow your just like me! I wanted to pick Accounting and Economics as my electives in grade 12, but they couldn't fit in my schedule so I had to settle for Finance and French. But here's the thing. If you don't like Biology in grade 11, don't take it in grade 12, you'll get a good idea in grade 11 if you like it or not. If after Biology 11 you are 100% sure you have no intention or interest in any life science program, drop biology 12, you don't need it, and it will be wasted effort. But grade 11 is a year to explore your interests, and biology is very interesting, you might like it!

So your courses for Grade 11 look like: English, Math, Biology, Physics, Accounting, International Business, Data, and 1 elective. I would say pick French, you can always take English 12 in Summer School, so you will have that option of taking French in grade 12 if you want to. But again, if you won't take French 12, then take English 12 in grade 11 or even Economics or Accounting.

In grade 12, you'll have Advanced Functions, English, Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry for sure. You might want to choose 1-3 of French, Economics, Accounting, and Biology.

If you are sure what field your going to (Business, Life Science, etc.) then you can ignore those electives that aren't related to your field.

If you are unsure of what you want to do after grade 11, I would take all 4 of them. If Life Science is an option take Biology. If Business is an option take Economics & Accounting. But French is a great elective too on the side.

Good luck!





Applying to:


McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)


"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
Starring
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:52:04 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 2/11/2012
Posts: 29
Well, the only career I'd probably ever want to pursue in the medical field would be in pharmacology. And I'm 100% sure I don't want to study to be a doctor.

Ah, that's pretty reassuring, knowing that others have been able to balance that (hopefully I will be able to too). That's true, I shouldn't stress too much over all three.

Thanks for the insight on spares! I'll be the first to admit that I'm very easily distracted by friends at lunch, and though it's a 75 minute lunch (of which I only spend a maximum of 20 minutes to actually eat), I don't see it as a time to do homework at all. Sometimes I tell myself I'll try to finish some easy history homework or something during lunch, but I usually end up not being able to because I was talking with my friends or something. That would definitely be a waste!

Thanks again!
brady23
#16 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:53:08 AM
Rank: Student Council




Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 375
Starring wrote:
Well, the only career I'd probably ever want to pursue in the medical field would be in pharmacology. And I'm 100% sure I don't want to study to be a doctor.

Ah, that's pretty reassuring, knowing that others have been able to balance that (hopefully I will be able to too). That's true, I shouldn't stress too much over all three.

Thanks for the insight on spares! I'll be the first to admit that I'm very easily distracted by friends at lunch, and though it's a 75 minute lunch (of which I only spend a maximum of 20 minutes to actually eat), I don't see it as a time to do homework at all. Sometimes I tell myself I'll try to finish some easy history homework or something during lunch, but I usually end up not being able to because I was talking with my friends or something. That would definitely be a waste!

Thanks again!


No problem, glad to help :D Yeah, it's your choice in the end, because you know yourself better than me. If you are really sure biology won't be an option (like how law isn't an option for me xD) then don't bother taking it, but if there's a chance you might pursue it, even a small chance, just try it out. Better to have your doors open than closed.

And yes, you will be able to balance it. It depends on your teachers on who's teaching the subject, but I would not want Biology and Chemistry in the same semester, I like having them in separate semesters, and same with Physics and Math. But as long as you don't get all 3 sciences or 2 sciences and a math in one semester you'll be fine!

Same here, I get easily distracted by my spare, so I don't use it to study, just to do math homework. If you think a spare will be useful for you take it, if you would rather take some electives like Economics, take those. Good luck!
Applying to:


McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)


"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.