Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
Laurier School of Business and Economics Options ▼
BW06
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:31:27 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 2/7/2011
Posts: 4
Hi all,

I am currently a first year Laurier BBA student. Ask me anything you wish regarding the program, the profs, student life, how difficult it is, etc.

Looking forward to your questions.
CMA2014
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:36:00 AM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 11/1/2011
Posts: 104
BW06 wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently a first year Laurier BBA student. Ask me anything you wish regarding the program, the profs, student life, how difficult it is, etc.

Looking forward to your questions.


How does it feel to go to a 3rd Tier b-school?

Protip:
Tier 1 - Ivey, Queen's, McGill
Tier 2 - Schulich, UBC
Tier 3 - Laurier, McMaster
greatwallpaul
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:54:57 AM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 9/5/2011
Posts: 224
CMA2014 wrote:
BW06 wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently a first year Laurier BBA student. Ask me anything you wish regarding the program, the profs, student life, how difficult it is, etc.

Looking forward to your questions.


How does it feel to go to a 3rd Tier b-school?

Protip:
Tier 1 - Ivey, Queen's, McGill
Tier 2 - Schulich, UBC
Tier 3 - Laurier, McMaster


Seriously f off and quit being a condescending prick all over these boards spewing hate and criticizing everyone.

PS. Nobody cares about your "accomplishments". Seeing your signiture makes me cringe. All you do is talk down to people behind your veil of artificial "achievement".
...

Anyways OP, ive heard a lot of great things. Would you agree its one of the most underrated programs in the country?
BMOS, Ivey AEO
University of Western Ontario | Class of 2016


BW06
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:03:15 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 2/7/2011
Posts: 4
We all know that certain business schools are better off in the different areas of business. For example if you want Finance/Investment Banking you would consider Ivey, if you want International Business you would consider Schulich, if you want Accounting you would consider Laurier. In fact, Laurier has consistently scored high in the CA-entrance exams. I would agree Laurier is one of the most under-rated B-schools in Canada, however that is not to say it is a "3rd-tier school". If you've been on our website, we're building a brand new Business Building to accomodate more students in the BBA and double degree programs.
greatwallpaul
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:11:07 AM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 9/5/2011
Posts: 224
I have no interet for accounting, is Laurier still suitable for me?
BMOS, Ivey AEO
University of Western Ontario | Class of 2016


BW06
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:29:36 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 2/7/2011
Posts: 4
Some reasons why people choose Laurier over other schools is because what the professors here teach you is practical, rather than all theory based. For example in first year BBA, we are working on whats called a New Venture Competition. Basically in a nutshell, you (as an entrepreneur) create or develop a business in a group. Throughout the whole first year, your professors teach you the critical areas of Finance, Accounting, HR, Management, etc that will help you develop your business. At the end of the year you present your business to your class. The New Venture competition is a huge part of the Laurier BBA experience. There have been successful real businesses today because of this competition. In fact, the business that I have developed I am going to pitch it to the President of Laurier to get his approval. I would have never had this chance if I went to Rotman or Ivey. Overall, so far the Laurier experience has been a solid one. A lot of grads from Laurier do well because the whole BBA experince is practical and so when you get into the real world, you actually know what to do, as opposed to learning a whole bunch of theory that you probably will never use.

Cheers
loohopefull94
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:26:25 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 4/5/2011
Posts: 37
1. how were the first year classes (difficulty and class size and amount of work)
2. how are the proffs
3. whats the difference between the 3 maths
4. how many calc classes do you have to take

Thank you
Schulich
Rotman
DeGrote (accepted)
Laurier (accepted)
UTSC (accepted)
Ryerson (accepted)
arts/bus (accepted)
york econ (accepted)
AFM (rejected)
scollyhunter
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:50:41 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 225
loohopefull94 wrote:
1. how were the first year classes (difficulty and class size and amount of work)
2. how are the proffs
3. whats the difference between the 3 maths
4. how many calc classes do you have to take

Thank you


Hey loo,

I am a first year Double Degree at Laurier, and I'll answer your questions.

1. First year classes are not really difficult if you simply put in the time and effort to be successful (but that goes for everything in life). The largest class you will have would be just under 300 people which will probably be your business and economics classes as well as a few of your electives(the largest lecture hall at Laurier). But you will also have labs which consist of numbers from 20-30 students.
2. For the first term I enjoyed all my profs, they were absolutely excellent. Going into my second term I have found some profs that I "despise" for one reason or another.
3. The three maths:
MA103: for students that have taken high school calculus, course is 0.5 credit
MA110: (I'm in this course) it is the same course as MA103 but it is over 2 terms for 1.0 credits. Talking to my friends in MA103 I have found that MA110 goes much more indepth on the content than MA103.
MA129: if you are mathematically "declined" then you should take this course, most single BBA students take this math and most of the double degree students make fun of this math.
4. Other than the one first year calculus course, no other calculus is really required for single BBA, just understand that math does pop up in your other courses as well
Laurier School of Business and Economics:
BBA/BSc Computing Class of 2016
Dub Degree 5
Nobodygtyu
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:12:07 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 4/12/2011
Posts: 16
scollyhunter wrote:
loohopefull94 wrote:
1. how were the first year classes (difficulty and class size and amount of work)
2. how are the proffs
3. whats the difference between the 3 maths
4. how many calc classes do you have to take

Thank you


Hey loo,

I am a first year Double Degree at Laurier, and I'll answer your questions.

1. First year classes are not really difficult if you simply put in the time and effort to be successful (but that goes for everything in life). The largest class you will have would be just under 300 people which will probably be your business and economics classes as well as a few of your electives(the largest lecture hall at Laurier). But you will also have labs which consist of numbers from 20-30 students.
2. For the first term I enjoyed all my profs, they were absolutely excellent. Going into my second term I have found some profs that I "despise" for one reason or another.
3. The three maths:
MA103: for students that have taken high school calculus, course is 0.5 credit
MA110: (I'm in this course) it is the same course as MA103 but it is over 2 terms for 1.0 credits. Talking to my friends in MA103 I have found that MA110 goes much more indepth on the content than MA103.
MA129: if you are mathematically "declined" then you should take this course, most single BBA students take this math and most of the double degree students make fun of this math.
4. Other than the one first year calculus course, no other calculus is really required for single BBA, just understand that math does pop up in your other courses as well


Regarding the maths, are you required to take it even if you aren't in the Economics program?
caveman
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:06:52 PM
Rank: Valedictorian


Joined: 5/27/2011
Posts: 586
CMA2014 wrote:
BW06 wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently a first year Laurier BBA student. Ask me anything you wish regarding the program, the profs, student life, how difficult it is, etc.

Looking forward to your questions.


How does it feel to go to a 3rd Tier b-school?

Protip:
Tier 1 - Ivey, Queen's, McGill
Tier 2 - Schulich, UBC
Tier 3 - Laurier, McMaster

Well, it's clearly better than McMaster (no offense to McMaster). And funny how you put Mac ahead of UofT (not saying UofT is the best). It has an excellent co-op program and is one of the top programs for accounting. Robert Herjavec's son attends there now.
honourstudent101
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:04:50 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 7/6/2011
Posts: 126
1. How are the Econ courses?
2. How are the Profs?
3. What is the atomosphere like?
4. How are the people at Laurier?
5. How would you rate your experience so far?

Bonus Question: How are the Girls, jks cheers

Thanks in Advance
University of Guelph Management Economics and Finance (co-op)

Windsongs4
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:28:20 PM
Rank: Valedictorian




Joined: 8/9/2011
Posts: 682
BW06 wrote:
Some reasons why people choose Laurier over other schools is because what the professors here teach you is practical, rather than all theory based. For example in first year BBA, we are working on whats called a New Venture Competition. Basically in a nutshell, you (as an entrepreneur) create or develop a business in a group. Throughout the whole first year, your professors teach you the critical areas of Finance, Accounting, HR, Management, etc that will help you develop your business. At the end of the year you present your business to your class. The New Venture competition is a huge part of the Laurier BBA experience. There have been successful real businesses today because of this competition. In fact, the business that I have developed I am going to pitch it to the President of Laurier to get his approval. I would have never had this chance if I went to Rotman or Ivey. Overall, so far the Laurier experience has been a solid one. A lot of grads from Laurier do well because the whole BBA experince is practical and so when you get into the real world, you actually know what to do, as opposed to learning a whole bunch of theory that you probably will never use.

Cheers


that actually sounds SO cool!
Laurier BBA 2016

What did I apply to before? (no order):

Schulich iBBA [Accepted]
Queen's [Wait Listed]
Ivey w BMOS and Psych [Accepted]
Waterloo AFM (interviewed for Fellowship) [Accepted]
McGill -Immunology & Microbiology [Accepted]
Guelph -Food & Hotel Mngmnt. [Accepted]



¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Questions about the IB program? Wondering how it helps, affects, or damages your university applications? Visit http://sytywtib.blogspot.ca/ to see what a graduated Year 2 student has to say, or comment and ask questions on the different topics!
Smothy88
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:40:18 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 5/20/2011
Posts: 54
honourstudent101 wrote:
1. How are the Econ courses?
2. How are the Profs?
3. What is the atomosphere like?
4. How are the people at Laurier?
5. How would you rate your experience so far?

Bonus Question: How are the Girls, jks cheers

Thanks in Advance


I'm also a first year BBA student at Laurier so I'll give another opinion.

1. I find econ courses super easy. However I did take econ in high school.
2. Some profs are great, some are terrible. I actually found my elective professors to be a lot better then my core subject professors. I'm hoping that'll eventually change in upper years though.
3. Atmosphere is whatever you make of it. It's got everything you need as long as you put yourself out there.
4. The people at Laurier are pretty great. Everyone in first year is looking to make friends and upper years encourage you to ask them for help. If your a guy, you can't go wrong either, the ratio is about 3:2
5. I've had a really good experience so far. I'm happy with my decision going to Laurier, I have great grades while still maintaining a social life. However I'm not going to lie but I kind of regret not going to Western. I have friends in AEO and they seem to be having a more fun time at Western but are suffering more so in the grades department. Either way though, you can't go wrong with Laurier.
scollyhunter
#14 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 10:56:55 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 225
Nobodygtyu wrote:
scollyhunter wrote:
loohopefull94 wrote:
1. how were the first year classes (difficulty and class size and amount of work)
2. how are the proffs
3. whats the difference between the 3 maths
4. how many calc classes do you have to take

Thank you


Hey loo,

I am a first year Double Degree at Laurier, and I'll answer your questions.

1. First year classes are not really difficult if you simply put in the time and effort to be successful (but that goes for everything in life). The largest class you will have would be just under 300 people which will probably be your business and economics classes as well as a few of your electives(the largest lecture hall at Laurier). But you will also have labs which consist of numbers from 20-30 students.
2. For the first term I enjoyed all my profs, they were absolutely excellent. Going into my second term I have found some profs that I "despise" for one reason or another.
3. The three maths:
MA103: for students that have taken high school calculus, course is 0.5 credit
MA110: (I'm in this course) it is the same course as MA103 but it is over 2 terms for 1.0 credits. Talking to my friends in MA103 I have found that MA110 goes much more indepth on the content than MA103.
MA129: if you are mathematically "declined" then you should take this course, most single BBA students take this math and most of the double degree students make fun of this math.
4. Other than the one first year calculus course, no other calculus is really required for single BBA, just understand that math does pop up in your other courses as well


Regarding the maths, are you required to take it even if you aren't in the Economics program?


If you're in BBA you must take a math, I think its the same for economics but I could be wrong. If youre applying for Arts (other than economics) I dont think you need math.
Laurier School of Business and Economics:
BBA/BSc Computing Class of 2016
Dub Degree 5
prodarkhunter
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:31:14 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 26
Hey I have a question.
So I applied to Brock accounting - coop and Laurier BBA.
Now I know everyone has their own opinion of which school is better etc etc.
But the really big thing that bothers me: How hard is it to get coop for accounting Laurier, and is it tax time like brock? As much as I understand having tax time coop is amazing and there are 3 terms of tax time and 1 that is not (for brock accounting program). What are the terms for Laurier. Also, if you finish Laurier BBA specializing in accounting, do you just get your BBA degree or do you get something that said: specialized in accounting?

Thanks in advance
caveman
#16 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:55:12 PM
Rank: Valedictorian


Joined: 5/27/2011
Posts: 586
prodarkhunter wrote:
Hey I have a question.
So I applied to Brock accounting - coop and Laurier BBA.
Now I know everyone has their own opinion of which school is better etc etc.
But the really big thing that bothers me: How hard is it to get coop for accounting Laurier, and is it tax time like brock? As much as I understand having tax time coop is amazing and there are 3 terms of tax time and 1 that is not (for brock accounting program). What are the terms for Laurier. Also, if you finish Laurier BBA specializing in accounting, do you just get your BBA degree or do you get something that said: specialized in accounting?

Thanks in advance

At Laurier you have to apply for co-op prior to second year. Approximately 600 students apply for co-op (give or take, I think a little over 600 applied last year) and they aim for somewhere between 275-315 people in the co-op program. Last year they took ~290 (you can do the math). Out of those that get into co-op, somewhere in the 90s percent get placements (I think in first year the year before last it was 94%, don't quote me though). It is easier to get jobs after your first placement. Laurier co-op is quite good and is especially good for accounting.

Brock has 2 terms in the busy season (winter), and then 1 in the fall (there's also an optional one in the summer of first year).

Laurier has 1 term in the busy season, 1 in the fall, and 1 in the summer (the first year summer you have off, so you can still pursue an internship). You can go to the co-op website to see the exact sequencing with all of the courses and such.

If you go through the BBA program in accounting, you will have an Honours BBA with an Option in Accounting.
prodarkhunter
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:06:19 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 26
caveman wrote:
prodarkhunter wrote:
Hey I have a question.
So I applied to Brock accounting - coop and Laurier BBA.
Now I know everyone has their own opinion of which school is better etc etc.
But the really big thing that bothers me: How hard is it to get coop for accounting Laurier, and is it tax time like brock? As much as I understand having tax time coop is amazing and there are 3 terms of tax time and 1 that is not (for brock accounting program). What are the terms for Laurier. Also, if you finish Laurier BBA specializing in accounting, do you just get your BBA degree or do you get something that said: specialized in accounting?

Thanks in advance

At Laurier you have to apply for co-op prior to second year. Approximately 600 students apply for co-op (give or take, I think a little over 600 applied last year) and they aim for somewhere between 275-315 people in the co-op program. Last year they took ~290 (you can do the math). Out of those that get into co-op, somewhere in the 90s percent get placements (I think in first year the year before last it was 94%, don't quote me though). It is easier to get jobs after your first placement. Laurier co-op is quite good and is especially good for accounting.

Brock has 2 terms in the busy season (winter), and then 1 in the fall (there's also an optional one in the summer of first year).

Laurier has 1 term in the busy season, 1 in the fall, and 1 in the summer (the first year summer you have off, so you can still pursue an internship). You can go to the co-op website to see the exact sequencing with all of the courses and such.

If you go through the BBA program in accounting, you will have an Honours BBA with an Option in Accounting.


First: What is the coop website you are referring to?
Second: What are the marks for the people who get into coop? Now I know that the interview plays a big role, but I just want to know what average you need to at least get an interview, and how much extra curricular activity you need.
caveman
#18 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:15:41 PM
Rank: Valedictorian


Joined: 5/27/2011
Posts: 586
prodarkhunter wrote:

First: What is the coop website you are referring to?
Second: What are the marks for the people who get into coop? Now I know that the interview plays a big role, but I just want to know what average you need to at least get an interview, and how much extra curricular activity you need.

1) http://www.lauriercc.ca/...accounting-sequence.htm

2) There's a few things that are considered: marks, ECs, volunteering and work experience. I think you need a 7.0 or 8.0 to apply (it's on the website) and realistically anything 9.0+ is good. Depending on your ECs and work experience, you could get in with really low marks or you could fail to get in with high marks. There's been some stuff posted about it here on the forums, you could try searching or perhaps someone in the program with more info will respond.
prodarkhunter
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:22:41 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 26
caveman wrote:
prodarkhunter wrote:

First: What is the coop website you are referring to?
Second: What are the marks for the people who get into coop? Now I know that the interview plays a big role, but I just want to know what average you need to at least get an interview, and how much extra curricular activity you need.

1) http://www.lauriercc.ca/...accounting-sequence.htm

2) There's a few things that are considered: marks, ECs, volunteering and work experience. I think you need a 7.0 or 8.0 to apply (it's on the website) and realistically anything 9.0+ is good. Depending on your ECs and work experience, you could get in with really low marks or you could fail to get in with high marks. There's been some stuff posted about it here on the forums, you could try searching or perhaps someone in the program with more info will respond.


Okay thanks, I checked and you need 8.0 out of 12. Which is a B I think. I'm still really confused though... I need to understand where there are better opportunities for coop. Brock or Laurier? What are the chances in Brock? What are the chances in Laurier? I know that in Brock it's probably a bit easier to get a higher avg.
SS1745
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:12:44 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 2
BW06 wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently a first year Laurier BBA student. Ask me anything you wish regarding the program, the profs, student life, how difficult it is, etc.

Looking forward to your questions.



I have a few questions:
1. Are you in co-op? How competitive would you say co-op is to get?
2. Would you recommend a dormitory style living or apartment at laurier?
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.