Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
University of Guelph ? Options ▼
JustinRyers
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:20:52 PM

Hey guys first time on these forums :)

Recently I was accepted to two of the 5 programs I applied for so far, an undeclared major in business at UofG and a general business at CarletonU in Ottawa. Personally right now I am heavily leaning towards UofG just for the social scene and it seems to be a more tight-nit community which means more parties haha.

My question is though is UofG a good business school for perusing careers in either marketing or accounting ? Is Carleton better ? I also applied to Laurier how does that stack up ?

Finally, for those of you who live in Guelph, is it a fun and good city to live ?

Thanks !
honourstudent101
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:21:23 PM

JustinRyers wrote:

Recently I was accepted to two of the 5 programs I applied for so far, an undeclared major in business at UofG and a general business at CarletonU in Ottawa. Personally right now I am heavily leaning towards UofG just for the social scene and it seems to be a more tight-nit community which means more parties haha.

My question is though is UofG a good business school for perusing careers in either marketing or accounting ? Is Carleton better ? I also applied to Laurier how does that stack up ?

Finally, for those of you who live in Guelph, is it a fun and good city to live ?

Thanks !

Laurier probably has the best Business program and it also has pretty good party from what I heard. You should probably visit the campus for each of them. I was wondering what's your average is?
University of Guelph Management Economics and Finance (co-op)

JustinRyers
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:14:29 PM

honourstudent101 wrote:
JustinRyers wrote:

Thanks !

Laurier probably has the best Business program and it also has pretty good party from what I heard. You should probably visit the campus for each of them. I was wondering what's your average is?

Is Guelph a decent business school though ? I've visited Guelph but not the two others and I loved it.

My average is a 79.5, the course I applied for at Laurier is low 80s so I dunno if I will get accepted.
honourstudent101
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:05:07 PM

JustinRyers wrote:
honourstudent101 wrote:
JustinRyers wrote:

Thanks !

Is Guelph a decent business school though ? I've visited Guelph but not the two others and I loved it.

My average is a 79.5, the course I applied for at Laurier is low 80s so I dunno if I will get accepted.

Yeah I leaning towards Guelph too because of the campus and Coop. It not a bad program at all. You can get all your course for CA, CGA, CMA. I don't know why it does get that much recognition because there nothing really bad about the program. My other choice is Laurier which also has a good campus atmosphere when I went to their open house. There program is more recognized than Guelph but Co-op is super hard to get in if u don't get involved or stand out. I am going to the Open house at Guelph tomorrow to see the campus and I probably make my decision then. So I suggest visiting the others before you make a choice.

Hope that Helps a little.

JustinRyers
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:21:57 AM

honourstudent101 wrote:
JustinRyers wrote:
honourstudent101 wrote:
JustinRyers wrote:

Thanks !

Yeah I leaning towards Guelph too because of the campus and Coop. It not a bad program at all. You can get all your course for CA, CGA, CMA. I don't know why it does get that much recognition because there nothing really bad about the program. My other choice is Laurier which also has a good campus atmosphere when I went to their open house. There program is more recognized than Guelph but Co-op is super hard to get in if u don't get involved or stand out. I am going to the Open house at Guelph tomorrow to see the campus and I probably make my decision then. So I suggest visiting the others before you make a choice.

Hope that Helps a little.

Thanks man seems like we're in the same boat :)

Is the coop program for Guelph pretty good because that is something that interests me although I haven't done too much research on it. I got accepted for an undeclared major in business for my first year which leaves my options open, but would coop be possible for me second year ?

I definitely gotta check out the campus', I doubt I am going to go to Carleton since it seems like their business program is about as well known as Guelphs and I would rather live in Guelph then Ottawa personally
bcd92
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:41:23 PM

From what i've heard, Guelph is not a good uni for business. A friend of mine, wasted her time and money going to guelph; she transfered into brock and was more pleased with the program they offered. I would hands down recommend laurier, that is to say if u can get in. luck (:
Co-op Management
University of Toronto
Class of 2016
honourstudent101
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:06:17 PM

To be honest your undergrad experience is how you make it. If you work hard academically and get involved your undergrad experience will be enjoyable. What University you go to is only slightly important it's what you are able to accomplish there. Pretty much you need to stand out. At Guelph it's probably easier to stand out than at Laurier. Both are really good school but Co-op and Campus atmosphere is what ultimately lead to me choosing Guelph. Finally in undeclared, you choose your major around March/April. Then if your program has co-op you apply for it(for Business I think it's at the end of second semester). Most people who are interested in accounting go into Management Economics and Finance because there is no Co-op for Accounting. However, if you want a professional designation you should probably go to Accounting. Also, marketing is good from what I heard, and there's co-op too. Ultimately, it's your decision(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D37POA11KY), but whatever don't base it only reputation though. However, your choice are pretty good and you could potentially have a good academic and social experience at whatever University you chose.

Good Luck batman

JustinRyers
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:54:37 PM

honourstudent101 wrote:
To be honest your undergrad experience is how you make it. If you work hard academically and get involved your undergrad experience will be enjoyable. What University you go to is only slightly important it's what you are able to accomplish there. Pretty much you need to stand out. At Guelph it's probably easier to stand out than at Laurier. Both are really good school but Co-op and Campus atmosphere is what ultimately lead to me choosing Guelph. Finally in undeclared, you choose your major around March/April. Then if your program has co-op you apply for it(for Business I think it's at the end of second semester). Most people who are interested in accounting go into Management Economics and Finance because there is no Co-op for Accounting. However, if you want a professional designation you should probably go to Accounting. Also, marketing is good from what I heard, and there's co-op too. Ultimately, it's your decision(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D37POA11KY), but whatever don't base it only reputation though. However, your choice are pretty good and you could potentially have a good academic and social experience at whatever University you chose.

Good Luck batman

Oh I am going to enjoy it no matter what I am a positive person and I can't wait to live on my own :D

So you are saying that in the long run in finding a career, the difference between the three universities isn't really that big of a deal ? it's more of my performance at the university I choose ?

See I worry and fret about silly things sometimes, and my concern is that I'll finish uni and be looking for a marketing or accounting career and have struggles because of the school I choose. Like if an employer for a marketing company or accounting firm is reviewing two resumes that are very similar the only difference being one went to Laurier and the other Guelph, does this play a big role in their decision making or not really ?

Basically, are universities "reputations" nothing more than hype or to persuade you to choose their school over others (in most cases of course there are the sub-par schools that don't offer as much academically)? Or is there really some merit in the fact that they are reviewed higher in certain areas and are employers are very mindful to this.

thanks guys so helpful :)

just to update you all if you even care, Guelph is still number one on my list for sure and I'm almost putting Carelton out of the picture but I want to check out the campus first. Something about Ottawa just doesn't seem right for me personally I would rather have a smaller more tight-knit community (and one that parties more haha!). As for Laurier, still waiting on any letter but theoretically I am still interested in going there. I also have applications to Ryerson and Mcmasters but I just can't picture myself at either school for some reason.... Ryerson is just simply I wouldn't like living in Toronto and it's too close to family. And I just don't see myself as a mac student I don't know, doesn't seem like a fun school to me. What's everyone's opinions on those two schools ?

So many questions :) haha
JustinRyers
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:22:12 PM

I just made one decision. I will not be attending Laurier next year. I looked at the course I actually applied for and I realized it's really not for me and doesn't really support what I want to do in the future.

I applied for:
http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en...php?pcode=0_190211_451_0
thinking a BA would do me good but I'm questioning it now. On top of that the entire course is completely focused on economics which I am not certain if it will be for me and I have heard it's very tough. I am actually more interested in mac now because the course sounds actually quite good.

As for Guelph, honestly it sounds almost too perfect to be honest it will be hard for me to say no to it. I applied for an undeclared major in business which from my understanding will give me a very wide variety of options for my first year and I can give everything a taste before declaring a major. I was actually looking at the einfo website and I noticed something that actually interested me that I never thought about- Agricultural Economics. I don't know much about it but from what I'm getting it basically combines food, the environment and business all into one which are basically the top things that interest me (especially food :3). Not to mention Guelph is known as an agricultural school. If I took the undeclared major, would I have the opportunity first year to be part of this course ?
honourstudent101
#10 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 10:37:09 AM

JustinRyers wrote:
I just made one decision. I will not be attending Laurier next year. I looked at the course I actually applied for and I realized it's really not for me and doesn't really support what I want to do in the future.

I applied for:
thinking a BA would do me good but I'm questioning it now. On top of that the entire course is completely focused on economics which I am not certain if it will be for me and I have heard it's very tough. I am actually more interested in mac now because the course sounds actually quite good.

As for Guelph, honestly it sounds almost too perfect to be honest it will be hard for me to say no to it. I applied for an undeclared major in business which from my understanding will give me a very wide variety of options for my first year and I can give everything a taste before declaring a major. I was actually looking at the einfo website and I noticed something that actually interested me that I never thought about- Agricultural Economics. I don't know much about it but from what I'm getting it basically combines food, the environment and business all into one which are basically the top things that interest me (especially food :3). Not to mention Guelph is known as an agricultural school. If I took the undeclared major, would I have the opportunity first year to be part of this course ?

The first two semesters are core courses which all first year students take with a one exception. You get to chose one course from a set of courses. So your interested in the Agricultural program so you would take a agricultural courses as your elective to get into that major. Also you will need to replace the "Managing People in Organizations" course for the "Economics of the Agri-Food System" course. Furthermore about, reputation of schools, if you do very well at a really good school there will be better oppurtunities for you to succeed. Better school usually have bigger companies that recruit you right after you graduate. However, if you take co-op at guelph you have multiple placements and a ton of experience so that you can apply for those jobs with big companies. Remember, nothing can replace experience. If you stand out from your class, network and get involved than you will have no problem getting recruited by a good or decent company. Hope to see you in September!!!

Good Luck!

JustinRyers
#11 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:23:35 PM

honourstudent101 wrote:
JustinRyers wrote:

I applied for:

The first two semesters are core courses which all first year students take with a one exception. You get to chose one course from a set of courses. So your interested in the Agricultural program so you would take a agricultural courses as your elective to get into that major. Also you will need to replace the "Managing People in Organizations" course for the "Economics of the Agri-Food System" course. Furthermore about, reputation of schools, if you do very well at a really good school there will be better oppurtunities for you to succeed. Better school usually have bigger companies that recruit you right after you graduate. However, if you take co-op at guelph you have multiple placements and a ton of experience so that you can apply for those jobs with big companies. Remember, nothing can replace experience. If you stand out from your class, network and get involved than you will have no problem getting recruited by a good or decent company. Hope to see you in September!!!

Good Luck!

Ah I see. This is really exciting I like the sound of this course except for calculus =\

The only problem with coop is I don't know if the course I applied to offers it, it says it doesn't on the einfo page. Will they offer specific coop programs when I declare a major or no ?

Also what do you mean replacing the two courses ? Managing people in organizations doesn't seem to even be on the course calendar

https://admission.uoguelph.ca/te...4-4632-b9a3-813ae3fbcb50
v70
#12 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:08:46 PM

As an undeclared student, you get to pick you major the following year. If they offer co-op for your major, you can apply to it as well.

I've been accepted to Guelph BComm, and I visited the campus yesterday. I have thus far visited, Brock, Mac, Laurier, Waterloo, Ryerson, and UTM. Guelph has a nice campus.

However, when I sat in on the info session for Commerce I was unimpressed. They had three 4th year students there to share their experiences at Guelph. One was a Marketing major that accepted a job as a head hunter, another was a Human Resources major that accepted a job at Target as a "buyer". The third one, who was also president of the marketing club, and completed his co-op terms, did not have a job lined up.

They couldn't find 3 current students that landed a job in their respective fields. Now that's disappointing!
Brock BAcc 2016
JustinRyers
#13 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:21:26 PM

v70 wrote:
As an undeclared student, you get to pick you major the following year. If they offer co-op for your major, you can apply to it as well.

I've been accepted to Guelph BComm, and I visited the campus yesterday. I have thus far visited, Brock, Mac, Laurier, Waterloo, Ryerson, and UTM. Guelph has a nice campus.

However, when I sat in on the info session for Commerce I was unimpressed. They had three 4th year students there to share their experiences at Guelph. One was a Marketing major that accepted a job as a head hunter, another was a Human Resources major that accepted a job at Target as a "buyer". The third one, who was also president of the marketing club, and completed his co-op terms, did not have a job lined up.

They couldn't find 3 current students that landed a job in their respective fields. Now that's disappointing!

How did the campus' for guelph, ryerson and mac stack up ?

That's disappointing though =\ Did they at least enjoy Guelph ? :P
v70
#14 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:33:08 PM

Laurier, Brock, Waterloo, Macmaster, and Guelph all have decent campuses. In the sense that they are a "campus", Ryerson is not a campus. Ryerson is downtown Toronto, and the atmosphere is "downtown Toronto". How you rank the other 5 is subjective, it depends on what you are looking for. I liked Laurier the best, but then again, I like the small campus feel.
Brock BAcc 2016
JustinRyers
#15 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 3:57:57 PM

v70 wrote:
Laurier, Brock, Waterloo, Macmaster, and Guelph all have decent campuses. In the sense that they are a "campus", Ryerson is not a campus. Ryerson is downtown Toronto, and the atmosphere is "downtown Toronto". How you rank the other 5 is subjective, it depends on what you are looking for. I liked Laurier the best, but then again, I like the small campus feel.

I definitely wouldn't fit in to Ryerson then I like small city vibe rather than large hustling busy cities.

So where do you think you will be going ?
v70
#16 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 4:48:06 PM

Still waiting for more acceptances, will probably know by mid-May.
Brock BAcc 2016
honourstudent101
#17 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 6:27:46 PM

v70 wrote:

I totally agree with you. The info session sucked with the exception of a couple professors. I found the campus was nicer than Laurier just because everything in Laurier everything was so compact and it doesn't look as nice. Also, I like the rez at Guelph but I like the modern buildings at Laurier especially at the SBE. Like i said before it really depends on how you chose to go along with your university degree. Nothing will be given to you.

leafsforever
#18 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 7:16:28 PM

Per the students getting jobs within their own field, it is quite common. As for "buyer" that is a common entry level supply chain job.

What profs were at the open house?
honourstudent101
#19 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 7:30:12 PM

leafsforever wrote:
Per the students getting jobs within their own field, it is quite common. As for "buyer" that is a common entry level supply chain job.

What profs were at the open house?

people from HTM and marketing but i completely forgot their names.:(

leafsforever
#20 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 8:57:13 PM

to bad they didnt have currie and baker (accounting) and adomait (econ) but you will be seeing adomait a lot over the next few years.
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump