Browse Our Top Categories

Do grade 11 marks count? Chance @ McMaster? Options ▼
emtran34
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 5:18:21 PM

Do grade 11 marks count towards university acceptance in grade 12?
I'm really scared because my average is only 84% for grade 11 second semester mid-terms.
Mostly because of biology, but I'm not planning to take it in grade 12.

It'd be great if someone can answer! I'm really scared, and I've always wanted to go to McMaster for engineering. Now I'm scared whether I still have a chance or not
xAnthonyLeong
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:34:02 PM

Ahhha how adorable
No it doesnt count at all, gr11 marks only matter if you want an early acceptance
If they counted i'd be screwed since i had a 71 average in gr11 -.- (85 in gr12)
But yeah even with an 84 you would have a good chance a mac (not for early acceptance though).
Just get a 86+ average next year and you're a shoe in for Mac engineering.
Mechatronics ----> University of Western Ontario ----> Applied ----> Pending
Engineering I ---> McMaster University ---> Applied ---> Waiting
Mechanical Engineering ---> University of Guelp ---> Applied ----> Accepted
Mechanical Engineering ---> Ryerson University ---> Applied ----> Accepted
sascer520
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:56:02 AM

Short Answer is No. They do Not Matter at all when universities make their decisions regarding admitting you into your specified program. However, don't let this fact make you lazy, and stop trying in biology.

You can keep reading if you want. I just go on to talk about some of the things I went through in Grade 12 this year. If your interested, please, read on, and feel free to ask any questions.

Also, as a graduating grade 12 student myself, if I could have gone back in time, I would honestly have taken summer school for chemistry. This is because of my school; our teachers are AP/OAC standard because they taught OAC, however, we only get the Academic Credit, and it is so much more intense. So, I would advise taking a course in summer school to lighten your coarse load in school. Universities will never know what you go through in day school, and only base their decisions on your marks. So if you feel stressed out, and write a couple tests, and bomb them, Universities won't know that. They will only know you got a "xy" mark on in "some" course. In the end, it's your decision whether to take it or not. I should have. It was so stressful in grade 12. You may think you won't worry or get stressed out, but somewhere down the line next year, you will be stressed even it is for a little while. ALSO, Talking to guidance was a huge help for me, especially when I was stressed out.

For MAC engineering, it used to be a low 80 average i think, but now they've raised it to Mid 80's, and the cutoff's will likely rise over the years because the number of applicants to universities have been increasing ever since.

As for engineering programs in general. In all universities, engineering programs are probably the most difficult due to the course load, and the time-frame degree is to be completed in. Time management is the most important thing. Now, when you are finished with your exams this semester, you will have the most important two months of summer in your high school career. It is up to you on how you will spend it. I spent my August, studying Advanced Functions by getting a "pdf" version of the textbook from my cousin, and I learned Advanced Functions on my own, well up until logarithms. Which is pretty easy. I ended of with a 93 in that course. The course average was a 69. Back to my point: Manage your time wisely. Those precious seconds your on Facebook laughing at funny photo your friend posted or writing on your friends wall. Enough of that for Grade 12. DEACTIVATE FACEBOOK. It makes a huge difference. Maybe on the weekends, you might give yourself a break.

All I am saying, is when you walk through those doors in your high school again in September, it will be really different from Grade 11. Remember these tips:

1.)Manage your Time Wisely(If your a sports guy, none of that, just watch the highlights on TSN or Sportsnet in the mornings.)
2.)Read Ahead, Learn Ahead, and Online. That's what I did.
3.) *Your performance in Gr 11 Functions will likely be a good indication of how you will perform in Advanced Functions depending on your teacher.
*Grade 12 Physics compared to Grade 11 Physics: Hmm. Let's see. First unit is pretty much identical. Dynamics: basically kinematics and forces put together. Only thing new is pulleys and blocks on inclined planes, and components. Easiest Unit. I did well in this unit because of these cool physics teachers at some High School called Earl Haig. They make these Youtube Videos on Physics, and I aced my first Unit in physics cause I learned better the way they taught compared to my school. Link:http://earlhaig.ca/departments/science/physicsreview.php What Else: There's Momentum and Energy, Electricity and Magnetism. Waves and Light. Bottom Line, Grade 12 Physics is hard if you are catching up. Review the grade 11 stuff early just in case you forget things.
*Grade 12 Chemistry: TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM GRADE 11 CHEM. Way MORE Math now. Equilibrium was the hardest unit in my opinion. Easiest was quantum/Atomic Theories and organic chemistry.
*Grade 12 English: Depends on your School.
*Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors: Start off GOOD. That goes for all courses. It's harder to bring your mark up afterwards. There are plenty of useful Calculus videos online. (i.e Khan Academy, and Patrick JMT on youtube.) Learn some of this before your calculus course begins. DO WELL IN CALCULUS. Why? Because Vectors usually drops everyone's marks. We just finished out Intro To Vectors Test. Most people dropped like 3 or 4 percent. Which is quite a lot in Grade 12.
4.) TALK TO GUIDANCE IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT EVER. ( I did, and it helped me :). )

Anyways, sorry about this page I wrote.I just felt the need to help out Grade 11's and warn you guys about what Grade 12 has in store. GOOD LUCK with it next year. If you have anymore questions just ask.
jelly
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:27:20 AM

A good grade 11 average (88 this year) will get you early admission into McMaster. Otherwise, with an >84 average, you stand a very, very good chance of receiving regular admission.

In response to the post above... everything is relative to the school/teacher, and actually most important, individual student. I don't believe that methods working for one person is guaranteed to work for another. I think someone who is attending a different institution, with different strengths/weaknesses won't really be able to use such specific advice. I can say there's a lot in your post I'd disagree with, and a good amount I'd agree with, but I don't think any of it can definitely 100% apply to the OP. For example, I would never speak to my guidance counselor, because simply from reading these forums I'm almost certain that I could do their job (in relation to courses/university advice) better than them. And no one in my school would disagree, they are terrible at what they do.
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering
Class of 2017
AyubM
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:29:23 AM

sascer520 wrote:

Universities will never know what you go through in day school, and only base their decisions on your marks. So if you feel stressed out, and write a couple tests, and bomb them, Universities won't know that. They will only know you got a "xy" mark on in "some" course. In the end, it's your decision whether to take it or not. I should have.

Actually universities do know if you did a credit in the summer because on your transcript and even on ouac it says when you completed the credit. Furthermore I know that UofT asks you if you did any credits in the summer or at night school and why you did so when filling out your spf. Universities obviously know that summer school and/or night school is easier than regular day school. However I can't speak for Mac because I didn't apply there.
UTSG CS 2016(2017 + PEY)
MonHun
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 1:46:07 PM

Try to get an avg of high 80's by Februray nxt yr, and early offer will not be a problem.
Offer Accepted: U of T Engineering Track One
Applied to:
U of T Engineering Track One-admitted Mar.17
McMaster Engineering I (Co-op)-admitted Feb.17
University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering-pending
ninetyfour
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:37:05 PM

AyubM wrote:
Actually universities do know if you did a credit in the summer because on your transcript and even on ouac it says when you completed the credit. Furthermore I know that UofT asks you if you did any credits in the summer or at night school and why you did so when filling out your spf. Universities obviously know that summer school and/or night school is easier than regular day school. However I can't speak for Mac because I didn't apply there.

I would actually disagree that summer school is easier necessarily. I did Physics 4U in summer school, and it's the lowest mark in my Top 6. I know I could have done much better had I the semester to take in the information and study more.

And yes universities ask for courses done outside day school, but if your reasons are valid, it shouldn't really affect anything.
University of Waterloo '17
Software Engineering
tukr
#8 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 10:05:52 PM

If you have 3 of your prereqs done first semester grade 12, they definitely won't regard your grade 11 marks! They start accepting in February I believe. Also, 84 isn't even that bad - I got in first round with an 89, just work hard to bump up your average as high as you can/ don't drop and you should be just fine!
Conversation Jump