Browse Our Top Categories

Waterloo Management Engineering Options ▼
HelloBob
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:36:52 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 5/12/2012
Posts: 3
I would like to know what makes this program different from others. Most of the engineer students going to mechanical, nano, etc would say this program is only for wana be engineers. I understand with this programs you learn how to work with teams and learn how to manage/lead groups. Technically this program would be really beneficial to students because with Management Engineering, students are able to pursue a manager position right away when graduated. But, with this program are you also able to specialize in a certain part, such as Mechanical Management Engineering? Does this program only teach you about management, or do you also learn about a specific engineering field? If so, then this program is brilliant! But, otherwise management alone does not seem worth it..

If anyone else has any information on this program, please comment below. I really want to know what this program is about and what opportunities it holds. And what is making you go into this program?
merm123
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:11:16 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 2/1/2011
Posts: 214
HelloBob wrote:
I would like to know what makes this program different from others. Most of the engineer students going to mechanical, nano, etc would say this program is only for wana be engineers. I understand with this programs you learn how to work with teams and learn how to manage/lead groups. Technically this program would be really beneficial to students because with Management Engineering, students are able to pursue a manager position right away when graduated. But, with this program are you also able to specialize in a certain part, such as Mechanical Management Engineering? Does this program only teach you about management, or do you also learn about a specific engineering field? If so, then this program is brilliant! But, otherwise management alone does not seem worth it..

If anyone else has any information on this program, please comment below. I really want to know what this program is about and what opportunities it holds. And what is making you go into this program?


Hi there!

I just finished first year Man eng :) Management Engineering is very similar to Systems Design and Industrial Engineering. We look at complex systems and think of ways to manage or optimize these systems. It definitely is a very different engineering, but the job prospective is huge. I think a lot of people misunderstand Management engineering as "managing engineers", even I had this misconception before applying. It's more so managing systems, as I said previously. We do not just learn about management, we learn about both management and engineering :)

I would love to PM you and talk to you about management engineering more in detail! :)
snoro
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:33:22 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 2/23/2011
Posts: 37
merm123 wrote:
HelloBob wrote:
I would like to know what makes this program different from others. Most of the engineer students going to mechanical, nano, etc would say this program is only for wana be engineers. I understand with this programs you learn how to work with teams and learn how to manage/lead groups. Technically this program would be really beneficial to students because with Management Engineering, students are able to pursue a manager position right away when graduated. But, with this program are you also able to specialize in a certain part, such as Mechanical Management Engineering? Does this program only teach you about management, or do you also learn about a specific engineering field? If so, then this program is brilliant! But, otherwise management alone does not seem worth it..

If anyone else has any information on this program, please comment below. I really want to know what this program is about and what opportunities it holds. And what is making you go into this program?


Hi there!

I just finished first year Man eng :) Management Engineering is very similar to Systems Design and Industrial Engineering. We look at complex systems and think of ways to manage or optimize these systems. It definitely is a very different engineering, but the job prospective is huge. I think a lot of people misunderstand Management engineering as "managing engineers", even I had this misconception before applying. It's more so managing systems, as I said previously. We do not just learn about management, we learn about both management and engineering :)

I would love to PM you and talk to you about management engineering more in detail! :)



Hey merm123,
I'm going into Management Eng and i just wanted to know what you thought of the course load, and how they were. Also, from what I've heard about Management Engineering is that it is quite hard. How did you find your first year and is it a small program (meaning, not many people get in)?

Just a little confused about these things, your opinion would really help me! :)
Thank you :)

University of Waterloo - Management Engineering
Class of 2017

merm123
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:45:59 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 2/1/2011
Posts: 214
snoro wrote:
merm123 wrote:
HelloBob wrote:
I would like to know what makes this program different from others. Most of the engineer students going to mechanical, nano, etc would say this program is only for wana be engineers. I understand with this programs you learn how to work with teams and learn how to manage/lead groups. Technically this program would be really beneficial to students because with Management Engineering, students are able to pursue a manager position right away when graduated. But, with this program are you also able to specialize in a certain part, such as Mechanical Management Engineering? Does this program only teach you about management, or do you also learn about a specific engineering field? If so, then this program is brilliant! But, otherwise management alone does not seem worth it..

If anyone else has any information on this program, please comment below. I really want to know what this program is about and what opportunities it holds. And what is making you go into this program?


Hi there!

I just finished first year Man eng :) Management Engineering is very similar to Systems Design and Industrial Engineering. We look at complex systems and think of ways to manage or optimize these systems. It definitely is a very different engineering, but the job prospective is huge. I think a lot of people misunderstand Management engineering as "managing engineers", even I had this misconception before applying. It's more so managing systems, as I said previously. We do not just learn about management, we learn about both management and engineering :)

I would love to PM you and talk to you about management engineering more in detail! :)



Hey merm123,
I'm going into Management Eng and i just wanted to know what you thought of the course load, and how they were. Also, from what I've heard about Management Engineering is that it is quite hard. How did you find your first year and is it a small program (meaning, not many people get in)?

Just a little confused about these things, your opinion would really help me! :)
Thank you :)



Hey there!

Course load is just like any of the other engineering programs, lots and lots of work. Definitely attend all classes and tutorials and do all the recommended exercises. It's very easy to get behind in engineering because there's so much to do.

Hard in what aspect? First year is pretty general, you'll take linear algebra, calculus, chemistry, physics and the general Management Engineering course first semester. Second semester you'll take calculus 2, programming, electrical engineering, physics 2, economics for engineers and work design. It is a small program (about 70 people) but I don't think it's because it's competitive, just not many people apply for it LOL.

PM me if you have more questions! :)
broodp4
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:24:18 PM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 8/26/2011
Posts: 91
Management Engineering is Industrial engineering(Waterloo just tried to be different). It is looked down upon by people in other engineering disciplines. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with pursuing the field if u are genuinely interested.
merm123
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 11:43:32 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 2/1/2011
Posts: 214
broodp4 wrote:
Management Engineering is Industrial engineering(Waterloo just tried to be different). It is looked down upon by people in other engineering disciplines. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with pursuing the field if u are genuinely interested.


Yep, definitely similar to Industrial Engineering.

Definitely looked down upon but if you love it, you should definitely pursue it! Who cares what others think, the job prospective is huge.
snoro
#7 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 12:21:37 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 2/23/2011
Posts: 37
merm123 wrote:
broodp4 wrote:
Management Engineering is Industrial engineering(Waterloo just tried to be different). It is looked down upon by people in other engineering disciplines. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with pursuing the field if u are genuinely interested.


Yep, definitely similar to Industrial Engineering.

Definitely looked down upon but if you love it, you should definitely pursue it! Who cares what others think, the job prospective is huge.


Hmm... why would you say it is looked down upon?
University of Waterloo - Management Engineering
Class of 2017

Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.