Browse Our Top Categories

I wish I went to a co-op program Options ▼
TheReem
#1 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 11:47:14 AM

If you don't have connections in the industry you want to work in, and if you don't have the intellectual horsepower to make it into dean's list, you will wish you went to Waterloo/Laurier co-op program rather than Queen's/Ivey/Schulich, etc.

#truestory
#realtalk
#fullofregrets
Queen's Commerce 2014
Major in Information Systems & Management Accounting
UBCGuy
#2 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 12:29:58 PM

TheReem wrote:
If you don't have connections in the industry you want to work in, and if you don't have the intellectual horsepower to make it into dean's list, you will wish you went to Waterloo/Laurier co-op program rather than Queen's/Ivey/Schulich, etc.

#truestory
#realtalk
#fullofregrets

A couple of years of work after graduation I'm sure you'll be just as competitive, and worst case scenario your career will be a year or 2 behind (but co-op students usually graduate later, right?). I don't think it'll make that dramatic of a difference in the long-run so try not to sweat it.
UBC Sauder School of Business 2014
TheReem
#3 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 12:44:41 PM

UBCGuy wrote:
TheReem wrote:

#truestory
#realtalk
#fullofregrets

A couple of years of work after graduation I'm sure you'll be just as competitive, and worst case scenario your career will be a year or 2 behind (but co-op students usually graduate later, right?). I don't think it'll make that dramatic of a difference in the long-run so try not to sweat it.

Also, don't feed the troll.

I am already as competitive. But life is just easier in a co-op program if you don't have connections.
Queen's Commerce 2014
UBCGuy
#4 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 1:23:49 PM

TheReem wrote:
UBCGuy wrote:
TheReem wrote:

#truestory
#realtalk
#fullofregrets

I am already as competitive. But life is just easier in a co-op program if you don't have connections.

You should be able to build connections in the years you work after you graduate, and then be able to move on a couple years later as you would if you were graduating from co-op. And life isn't easier in co-op, those students still have to work hard because if they don't build a good reputation their connections aren't worth anything. I'm sure that at Queens, of all places, they have plenty of networking opportunities and chances to find internships, so why don't you focus the time you would have otherwise spent on co-op on those?

Also, apparently you've had interviews with:

Quote:
ExxonMobil,
ONCAP Private Equity,
Manulife,
Symcor,
BMO,
2 of Big Pharmas.

It doesn't really sound like a lack of connections is really a huge detriment for you.
TheReem
#5 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 1:33:31 PM

UBCGuy wrote:
TheReem wrote:
UBCGuy wrote:
TheReem wrote:

#truestory
#realtalk
#fullofregrets

You should be able to build connections in the years you work after you graduate, and then be able to move on a couple years later as you would if you were graduating from co-op. And life isn't easier in co-op, those students still have to work hard because if they don't build a good reputation their connections aren't worth anything. I'm sure that at Queens, of all places, they have plenty of networking opportunities and chances to find internships, so why don't you focus the time you would have otherwise spent on co-op on those?

Also, apparently you've had interviews with:

Quote:
ExxonMobil,
ONCAP Private Equity,
Manulife,
Symcor,
BMO,
2 of Big Pharmas.

It doesn't really sound like a lack of connections is really a huge detriment for you.

It's easier in co-op.
Queen's Commerce 2014
UBCGuy
#6 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 1:38:24 PM

I'm sorry for calling maynards a troll, it looks like he pegged the nail on the head.
maynards
#7 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 2:02:34 PM

UBCGuy wrote:
I'm sorry for calling maynards a troll, it looks like he pegged the nail on the head.

Queen's School of Business

Class of 2016

Queen's Commerce [Accepted]
Western BMOS AEO [Accepted]
Western Economics AEO [Accepted]
Rotman Commerce [Accepted]
Mcgill Desautels Commerce[Accepted]
Laurier BBA [Accepted]
Ottawa U Commerce [Accepted]
Carleton Commerce [Accepted]
UBCGuy
#8 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 5:07:21 PM

maynards wrote:
UBCGuy wrote:

AgriGen
#9 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 8:16:07 PM

Coop has little advantage over regular programs.. in fact I might say coop is a disadvantage at waterloo depending on your program.
computerengineer
#10 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 9:51:49 PM

AgriGen wrote:
Coop has little advantage over regular programs.. in fact I might say coop is a disadvantage at waterloo depending on your program.

Could you elaborate please? I just want to expand my knowledge.
Waterloo Computer Engineering
Class of 2017
SkylarNoeL
#11 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 9:57:17 PM

computerengineer wrote:
AgriGen wrote:

All it is is that students not in SAF (Biotech/CA, Math/CA and AFM-CA) are not allowed to access CATO (CA Training Office) co-op jobs through the Jobmine co-op system.
SkylarNoeL
#12 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 10:00:53 PM

AgriGen wrote:

I disagree. You won't be competing with as many people as during the summer when everyone from every non-co-op school (aka Schulich, Ivey, Queen's, Rotman) is trying to get an internship, and it basically forces you to get into the networking and interview part of business which regular program students could shy away from (i.e choosing to relax during their summers instead of looking for internships).
AgriGen
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:44:28 AM

SkylarNoeL wrote:
AgriGen wrote:

I disagree. You won't be competing with as many people as during the summer when everyone from every non-co-op school (aka Schulich, Ivey, Queen's, Rotman) is trying to get an internship, and it basically forces you to get into the networking and interview part of business which regular program students could shy away from (i.e choosing to relax during their summers instead of looking for internships).

1. Some of my coops have been during the summer and everyone else regardless of what stream your in is going to do atleast one summer coop. Also.. people from other schools will take fall/winter off to do internships.

2. In my opinion coop sometimes does the opposite with people.. they dont network, interview, search for external postings, etc. Instead they sometimes get lazy and just mass apply to a lot of coop postings because its more convenient. In the long run they sell them selves short here.
AgriGen
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:45:31 AM

computerengineer wrote:
AgriGen wrote:

Its a long discussion and I am pressed for time right now but if you check out my link in the sign youll find some previous posts I made on coop :)
leafs2013
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:20:38 AM

AgriGen wrote:

U cereal? Waterloo coop is bomb
#realniggatalk

Serious Business

York- African Studies --> Rejected
Nippissing- Commerece --> Rejected
Laurentian- Communication --> Rejected
Algoma- Anishinaabemowin --> Waiting

UofT- Engineering Science --> Waiting (Pleasee)
AgriGen
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:30:41 AM

leafs2013 wrote:
AgriGen wrote:

U cereal? Waterloo coop is bomb
#realniggatalk

Miscer.. :p

Meh.. I didnt enjoy it too much. Its important to remember I think coop at waterloo is better for some majors than others. CS/engineering I think coop is a fairly decent advantage vs no internships at all. Ditto for accounting too I think.. for a lot of those in the arts though I dont think the hype is relevant
GoldenHawk
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:32:33 AM

AgriGen wrote:
SkylarNoeL wrote:
AgriGen wrote:

1. Some of my coops have been during the summer and everyone else regardless of what stream your in is going to do atleast one summer coop. Also.. people from other schools will take fall/winter off to do internships.

2. In my opinion coop sometimes does the opposite with people.. they dont network, interview, search for external postings, etc. Instead they sometimes get lazy and just mass apply to a lot of coop postings because its more convenient. In the long run they sell them selves short here.

This is based on your experiences as an ARBUS co-op. Math/Eng co-op at UW is much, much better than all the other faculties (just look at the employment numbers) and they give a better idea of what co-op can be like. It just goes to show that not all co-op programs (even at UW) are good. I don't think your experiences in co-op accurately describe the true reality of co-op programs.
UW/WLU DD '15
AgriGen
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:39:58 AM

Yes I always tell people coop is not equally as good for all majors. Even still though I think the advantages are really over hyped and people dont look at the bad side of coop sometimes.
TheReem
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:00:55 PM

youmirin wrote:
AgriGen wrote:

Miscer.. :p

Meh.. I didnt enjoy it too much. Its important to remember I think coop at waterloo is better for some majors than others. CS/engineering I think coop is a fairly decent advantage vs no internships at all. Ditto for accounting too I think.. for a lot of those in the arts though I dont think the hype is relevant

wut?

are you aware?

do you even lift
Queen's Commerce 2014
Conversation Jump