Browse Our Top Categories

Difficulty of Engineering? Options ▼
l3af
#1 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 10:31:40 PM

I'm considering getting an undergrad in mining engineering. My question is whether or not is is relatively difficult compared to other engineering disciplines.

Now before anyone starts chewing me out for taking the easy way out of things, I'm asking this because I ultimately want to go to law school, and for that you need a very competitive GPA.

Is it reasonable to expect a GPA over 3.5 if I put in the effort. I'm not a prodigy, but I am a hard working determined student.
If anyone here has taken mining engineering or a similar field, PLEASE reply.
Thank-you.
leafs2013
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:13:13 AM

3.5 is pretty tough to get, its going to be a lot more effort than other courses, I mean it.

But when I hear engineering degree, there is always some one that mentions law, so if your ok with staying in to finish that project rather than goin out with the criminology kids, do it.

Minning engineering pays well too

Serious Business

York- African Studies --> Rejected
Nippissing- Commerece --> Rejected
Laurentian- Communication --> Rejected
Algoma- Anishinaabemowin --> Waiting

UofT- Engineering Science --> Waiting (Pleasee)
TigerBlood
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:32:36 AM

why are you going through engineering if you are set on law school?! why not take poli sci where you can excel in and actually stand a chance of getting into law school. big question for you is how much do you like engineering?! do you like it enough to put your law school admission at risk?!
A rule, that works most of the time, is that you subtract 10% from your high school average to get your uni gpa. Not true for all cases but it gives you a general picture.

l3af
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:41:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it :)

I understand my route isn't the most orthodox, however I envisioned tying my undergrad with the area of law I would specialize in. If I were to take poli science, I would get into law school no problem, but it would be harder to stand out. The case could be made that by taking a harder course, I could compromise my law career indefinitely.
Some background info: My current average is hovering between 94-95%, and I am in the 90's in all my science and math courses. I'm looking for a course which will help me stand out but at the same time won't cripple my chances.
I'd welcome any advice or suggestions to other courses you guys may have in mind.
Thanks!
ktel
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:10:52 AM

I had a 95% high school average in Alberta and got a 3.9 cGPA at the University of Alberta in Mechanical Engineering. Mining is no more or less difficult I don't think. Just different.
anky2930
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:41:50 AM

why are thinking about engineering as you wanted to go for law education, I think you should choose one stream for your future.
altitude
Medic93
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:22:53 PM

I don't understand Engineering students...

There is supposedly a demand for Engineering grads yet a lot of people study engineering to go onto Law, Medicine, Finance, Business, and other unrelated fields of study.

If you're going to study Engineering, become a professional Engineer.

**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
TigerBlood
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:11:12 PM

Medic93 wrote:

There is supposedly a demand for Engineering grads yet a lot of people study engineering to go onto Law, Medicine, Finance, Business, and other unrelated fields of study.

It is just high school kids who think they can get into med, finance after undergrad in engineering. Only <5% eng grads pursue such fields because it is much easier to get a graduate degree in something related to their undergrad
leafs2013
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:08:45 PM

Medic93 wrote:

There is not really as much demand as you think. Engineering is a flexible degree, so why would we not go into areas where we can make more money for easier work? Its a no brainer.

Serious Business

Medic93
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:21:25 PM

leafs2013 wrote:
Medic93 wrote:

There is not really as much demand as you think. Engineering is a flexible degree, so why would we not go into areas where we can make more money for easier work? Its a no brainer.

Well that's all kids these days want is "money"

Sure acquiring a stable income is important but seriously a lot of people go into programs these days because of the money.

Sad to be honest!
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
ktel
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:27:41 AM

Medic93 wrote:

Well that's all kids these days want is "money"

Sure acquiring a stable income is important but seriously a lot of people go into programs these days because of the money.

Sad to be honest!

You say sad, I say smart. I honestly would probably enjoy a variety of careers. So why not choose the one that makes more money? I'm not greedy or terribly materialistic, but I have goals in life that include owning a home, for example.
JustWatchedCanucksFail
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 10:06:18 PM

l3af wrote:
My question is whether or not is is relatively difficult compared to other engineering disciplines.

I am assuming you are going into engineering at one of the "top" Canadian engineering universities like UofT, Waterloo, etc. In the first year, there is really very little difference between programs. From what I heard from upper years, mining/mineral engineering is less difficult in terms of the hours of doing labs (chem) or concepts, but it is somewhat heavy on memorisation.

l3af wrote:

Is it reasonable to expect a GPA over 3.5 if I put in the effort. I'm not a prodigy, but I am a hard working determined student.

Honestly I think it really depends on your intelligence/smartness as well as your highschool education. For example, for most people who did IB (International Baccalaureate) in highschool and took courses like Chem, Math, and/or Physics HL (higher level), majority of first year was a review. Even for the parts that were knew, they had much less trouble learning the concepts compared to others. Same goes for AP program students, but it seems that they're better at computation than IB students while perhaps a bit worse at understanding concepts.

As for the comment about intelligence/smartness, I should note that it really varies for subjects. It is my firm belief that if you disregard people with eidetic (photographic) memory, grades in biology and similar memorisation heavy courses are based on effort. On the other hand, for courses heavy in theory and concepts, it seems effort makes little difference. For example, my friend was in first year Engineering Science (rather theory heavy compared to all other undergrad engineering), and he barely passed even though he put in hours of studying a day.

TL;DR: If you're smart (and since you already said you're hard working), achieving the 3.5+GPA won't be too difficult. However, if you're not so smart, or not as smart as you thought you were, it can be somewhat (or very) difficult.

PS. I agree with others in that you probably shouldn't go into engineering if you plan to go into law later, unless you REALLY love engineering stuff.

PPS. Take what I said with a grain of salt though - I took chem, math, and physics HL in IB with a predicted score of 41 (out of 45, although my actual mark was lower due to lotsss of slacking off). Also, I am only now going into second year, after having breezed through first year.

Engineering Science at UofT - Grad 2015
leafs2013
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 2:01:33 AM

If you are a leafs or canucks fan you have developed the mental toughness for engineering due to experience

Serious Business

Conversation Jump