Browse Our Top Categories

How do I study for math, physics, bio, and chem exams?! Options ▼
milliex51
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:42:32 PM

My exam schedules and the running average so far are:

Math (80%) - Friday, June 15, 2012. (30% is the exam)
Bio (88%)- Monday, June 18, 2012. (20% is the exam)
Chem (84%) - Tuesday, June 19, 2012. (30% is the exam)
Physics (82%) - Thursday, June 21, 2012. (30% is the exam)

I know what you're thinking... it's going to be impossible for me to stay on the 80s average but I honestly don't know how I'm going to do this. Yes it's my fault in the beginning for procrastinating and rushing everything in the end (I attend a non-semestered school) and i feel like it's too late to even aim for an 80. But anyone with tips, anything? :'( help!
So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails.
ktel
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:53:52 PM

Looks like a typical university exam schedule to me. It will be good practice for you. Now if you had posted this a week or two ago I could give you more advice, but it's cutting it a bit close. I only start studying about a week before at most anyways though. I kind of don't mind studying for more than one exam because switching subjects keeps my brain more fresh. Focus on math for now and then switch to the other 3 subjects over the weekend.
Jsonga
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:59:09 PM

Prioritize them in order of when you're writing them. I'd say only do math from now till Friday. It"s your lowest mark and you have the weekend for your other subjects.

Depending on how you feel with bio I'd prioritize chem over that during the weekend. You're getting a good mark in bio and the exam is only 20%. That way you won't only have Monday to cram for chem.

Normally when I have exams bunched together like that I'll calculate what I need to maintain and prioritize my studying off that. Good luck.
UCC '12
UWO Medical Sciences '16
milliex51
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:29:59 PM

Alright, thank you guys for your advices! :$
So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails.
TurtleJesus
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:21:25 PM

Here's what works best for me in math:

1. Read over the notes for a unit
2. Redo the test for said unit
3. Look in your text book for questions similar to the one you got wrong and copy them to make a new test (so you don't have the answers fresh in your mind from looking over tests)
4. Do this for all of the units
5. Review all of the notes for the entire course, focus on what you don't know
6. Complete the made-up test

I find it works well because you aren't staring at your notes for hours, you're putting the concepts to use.

Remember to take breaks so you don't get overwhelmed, and schedule study time for yourself that you will stick to. 30 minutes each day per course is what I would recommend.
brady23
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:04:57 PM

milliex51 wrote:

I know what you're thinking... it's going to be impossible for me to stay on the 80s average but I honestly don't know how I'm going to do this. Yes it's my fault in the beginning for procrastinating and rushing everything in the end (I attend a non-semestered school) and i feel like it's too late to even aim for an 80. But anyone with tips, anything? :'( help!

Focus on math today.

Focus on biology on Friday. It should take you less time to study than for Chemistry since it is mainly understanding and some memorization. Finish AS MUCH AS YOU CAN tomorrow for Biology, and then don't REVIEW (not study) until Sunday.

Focus on Chemistry on Saturday, since it's harder than Biology, and try to finish all the units and do review on Monday. (You have about 12 hours)

Focus on Biology on Sunday (if you haven't done ANY pre-studying before, maybe you'll need Saturday too, but you'll find that the bio is not that hard to study for because you're just reviewing it now, and it's just content and you have about 12 hours)

Focus on Chem on Monday, since you already studied on Saturday, it should just be review.

Focus on Physics on Tuesday & Wednesday. (try to finish as many units as possible on Tuesday, so Wednesday can be just review, or focus on calculations on Tuesday, theory on Wednesday).

You don't have a lot of time, so since Biology seems like the easiest exam you have, I would spend only one WHOLE day on it, it should come like review on Sunday (2-3 hours per unit should do you well). It's easier to cram for Biology which is more understanding, than Chemistry or Physics which is why you need 2 days for those subjects and only 1 day for Biology.

But you'll have to study straight, no more slacking :P

My friends had a bio exam yesterday, a physics exam today, and a law exam & biology 40 minute presentation on Friday. My school's exam system is so dumb.

Applying to:

McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)

"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
willeh
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:00:22 PM

milliex51 wrote:

That's the exact same exam schedule I had for last semester, I did great in all of them, even got an 100% on the physics exam(my first perfect exam ever!)
Not here to brag, just want to show you that it is completely doable. My advise would be to make sure you understand the concept/theories, just memorizing stuff won't get you far, only do that when you have absolutely no time left to thoroughly study. I experienced this just today with my music exam (it's not my top 6 and the teacher marks very easily so I didn't bother to study until the night before). Plus, you should get a formula sheet anyways, just make sure you recognize and know what the variables represent in the equation. If you truly understand the material, then you are good for pretty much everything on the exam. For the calculation questions, do a few review questions of each type to familiarize yourself with the problem solving process, but don't waste too much time once you've got it. For the math exam, you should practice solving the problems a bit more, but still make sure you understand the concept first.
Another thing you should do is to look over all of your unit tests and quizzes for the mistakes you made, and make sure to remember not to do it again on the exam! Finally, try to have fun doing all of this! If you are not a science nerd like me then it might be harder, but you should still try to enjoy the process, it will really take a lot of the burden off of you. Good luck, and try to have fun!
UofT St. George - Innis College - Life Science Class of 2016!
gleefan
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:37:38 PM

Focus on the exams that are more difficult for you. Depending on what kind of learner you are, try writing out important formulas and notes multiple times, speak and instruct yourself aloud (it's proven that it helps you remember if you hear yourself) also studying before bedtime( but not when you're exhausted) is a good time to study because it's prime time for your brain( got this from my principal and it really does work!) Understand concepts and how things work instead of trying to memorize problems.! good luck :) i had that schedule too last year! It's tough!!!
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
milliex51
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 12:31:42 PM

Thank you so much for all the study tips! I really appreciate it! :D
Conversation Jump