Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
Waterloo's Offers of Admission - Engineering? Options ▼
stephanieanne
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:32:31 PM

I'm pretty sure it's around May sometime, but I could be wrong.

I applied Mechatronics, but I really wish Waterloo had the option to take a general first year.
Applied:
Queen's Engineering - Accepted
Waterloo Mechatronics Engineering - Accepted
McMaster Engineering I - Rejected (lol?)
konhee93
#2 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 5:58:11 AM

Got a conditional acceptance to Environmental Engineering.
I gotta maintain 77% average... I dont think I can even drop that low now that most of my courses are finished... lol
University of Waterloo - Environmental Engineering, Honours Co-operative Program 2016
immaculatedx
#3 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 2:54:59 PM

Waterloo Engineering based on past history, usually gives acceptances (To their good programs i.e. systems/nano/mech/etc.) a little later like april,may etc.
UWaterloo Computer Science

AMA
aimango
#4 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 10:57:04 PM

'early' acceptance for engineering falls around march break. got mine a little after mbreak.
UW Software Engineering 2015
Check out my blog, where I talk about school, coop terms, and other random stuff :)
Soccerboy
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:18:22 AM

Hey, I am not in grade 12 yet, but I was wondering a few things because my course selection is due in a couple of days.

I plan on keeping my options open in grade twelve to see if I should go into the engineering field or the business field. First semester marks are 91 Functions U, 89 Chemistry U, 88 Accounting M, 84 Physics U.

To keep my options open, I need to take summer school and private school courses. Would I not get accepted into programs if I take ENG4U in private school and Physics U in summer school?

If I end up getting into a engineering program and decide I want to go into it, I'll probably take a physics prep course to get me updated on the Physics [since it was taken in summer school]?

Which universities will not accept me, or will adjust my overall admissions average[if so, by how much?]?
Accepted to:

University of Waterloo: AFM-PA Stream
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering/Management/Electrical

Schulich School of Business: BBA - First Round
UTSC: Co-Op Management
Laurier: Double Degree- BBA + Financial Mathematics - February
McMaster University: Engineering - February (Co-Op)
iliketurtles
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:50:31 PM

Soccerboy wrote:
Hey, I am not in grade 12 yet, but I was wondering a few things because my course selection is due in a couple of days.

I plan on keeping my options open in grade twelve to see if I should go into the engineering field or the business field. First semester marks are 91 Functions U, 89 Chemistry U, 88 Accounting M, 84 Physics U.

To keep my options open, I need to take summer school and private school courses. Would I not get accepted into programs if I take ENG4U in private school and Physics U in summer school?

If I end up getting into a engineering program and decide I want to go into it, I'll probably take a physics prep course to get me updated on the Physics [since it was taken in summer school]?

Which universities will not accept me, or will adjust my overall admissions average[if so, by how much?]?

I don't think any universities will automatically reject you for having taken courses in private/summer school. The policy varies by university, but generally they will take off 1-2% off your average. You can find their policy on their website, but generally as long as you're not borderline, you should get accepted regardless.
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
Soccerboy
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:36:32 PM

iliketurtles wrote:
I don't think any universities will automatically reject you for having taken courses in private/summer school. The policy varies by university, but generally they will take off 1-2% off your average. You can find their policy on their website, but generally as long as you're not borderline, you should get accepted regardless.

where can i see this, and is it 1-2 percent off your overall average or just the class that was summer school/private schooled?

if it was overall average, isn't it unfair because that is 6-12% from that one course, and you would have got the similar mark[1-2% difference] in day school?
especially if your grade 11 mark is there to back it up?
Accepted to:

University of Waterloo: AFM-PA Stream
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering/Management/Electrical

Schulich School of Business: BBA - First Round
UTSC: Co-Op Management
Laurier: Double Degree- BBA + Financial Mathematics - February
McMaster University: Engineering - February (Co-Op)
Impasse
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:43:21 PM

Quote:
If you have taken or are taking courses outside of regular day school and have applied to a program in the Faculty of Mathematics, in some cases your overall admission score will be adjusted.

Quote:
Provided that the school or institution is accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education, the University of Waterloo will accept grade 12 U and M courses regardless of how or where the course is taken.

http://findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/repeated.php
I wouldn't worry about it too much. On the Waterloo AIF you're given space to explain why you have taken courses outside of day school.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
Beejay93
#9 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 2:32:45 AM

Quote:
Got a conditional acceptance to Environmental Engineering.
I gotta maintain 77% average... I dont think I can even drop that low now that most of my courses are finished... lol
University of Waterloo - Environmental Engineering, Honours Co-operative Program 2016

Hey I checked on quest today and it showed that I have received a conditional acceptance to Waterloo Mechatronics engineering.

So how long does it take for the conditions to arrive in the mail?

And did you get an email with the conditional acceptance? (Because i didnt get an email which is kinda odd)

cyynthiia
#10 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 2:42:04 AM

^
Depends on where you live.
You should get a hard copy stating all the conditions and residence info if applicable within like.. 2 weeks.
I got accepted last week but I haven't gotten anything yet, but I am from BC, so maybe that makes a difference.

You should also get an e-mail stating the acceptance. That's how I knew to check my Quest account. Look in your junk mail folder. But as long as it shows up on Quest as being accepted, I don't think it's really all that important if you didn't get an e-mail.
University of British Columbia '17
Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy

btlastic
#11 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 3:28:39 PM

I too was accepted to engineering at waterloo yesterday (software engineering) but haven't received an email or an update on OUAC. Only on Quest it showed a "conditional admit." Guess it takes them a few days to update.
tiwa007
#12 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 3:58:53 PM

YAY! I'm conditionally admitted to engineering too! system design!!
we could be classmates next year!!! =D
btlastic
#13 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 4:41:43 PM

tiwa007 wrote:
YAY! I'm conditionally admitted to engineering too! system design!!
we could be classmates next year!!! =D

Did you get an email from waterloo? And did they update your OUAC account yet?
tiwa007
#14 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 5:40:47 PM

Nope, not updated on ouac, and no email.

Don't worry though, some of my friends went through this last year and it was updated on quest first. The rest follows later =D

So congrats! Is engineering at waterloo your first choice?
Haru
#15 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 5:49:33 PM

btlastic wrote:
I too was accepted to engineering at waterloo yesterday (software engineering) but haven't received an email or an update on OUAC. Only on Quest it showed a "conditional admit." Guess it takes them a few days to update.

What's your avg like?
Mathematics/Chartered Accountancy
University of Waterloo Class of 2016

eagerbeaver2010
#16 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 7:13:48 PM

hey. When did you all submit your AIF??
So confused...Where should I apply? :(
Haru
#17 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 7:34:58 PM

eagerbeaver2010 wrote:
hey. When did you all submit your AIF??

Suppose to have by Feb 9th

btlastic
#18 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 7:52:57 PM

tiwa007 wrote:
Nope, not updated on ouac, and no email.

Don't worry though, some of my friends went through this last year and it was updated on quest first. The rest follows later =D

So congrats! Is engineering at waterloo your first choice?

Thanks. Congrats to you too cheers
I'm still having a hard time believing that they already accepted me, which explains why I'm worrying that it may not be official until I see it on OUAC... lol.

@Haru, my average from the 3 grade 12 courses already done is in the low 90s, but I think it's because of my AIF that really helped me get my acceptance this early.
eagerbeaver2010
#19 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 9:30:45 PM

NO WAAAAY ! I swear it says March 4/2011 on the Waterloo Quest site.

Please confirm??????
So confused...Where should I apply? :(
Haru
#20 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 9:36:05 PM

eagerbeaver2010 wrote:
NO WAAAAY ! I swear it says March 4/2011 on the Waterloo Quest site.

Please confirm??????

According to AIF page:

It is recommended that you complete your AIF within 3 weeks of receiving your acknowledgment email. March 4, 2011, is the final deadline for submission.

Note: Final deadline has now been extended to March 18, 2011.

I guess you could say it wasn't Feb 9th, but it was definitely recommended as it states "complete your AIF witin 3 weeks of receiving your acknowledgment email". I think most ppl submitted by that deadline. YOu should submit...like ASAP

2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump