Browse Our Top Categories

11 Pages «<891011>
What is wrong with our generation? Options ▼
OscarUK
#181 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:10:05 PM

rightsaidfred wrote:
Makes it easy for simpletons like you to understand my points.

1. You have Asperger Syndrome.
2. Political correctness didn't exist before you were born. It'll be carried on by the young people of this generation who were brought up with it - we, us, them will be continuing it.
3. I seriously think you should read more. You honestly know nothing about politics.
Some dude from the UK, what's basically becoming a nanny/police state, is telling ME what liberalism is? Wow.
4. Because that's all babies can do.
5. So then you're admitting you're a troll. Reported and ignored.
6. Thank you.
7. No. How rational of me.

I'm trying to teach you right now. You're not listening. Anyway, ignored/reported. Not replying to your posts anymore.

:( Ill just have to go back to my drugs and alcohol with all my PC friends and spread Liberal ideals to my generation.

I accept your white flag, better to back down now.
McGill - Arts

TealWind
#182 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:58:34 PM

dancee wrote:
Mark Alan Wilson wrote:
I worry about our generation because I think previous ones have been a more "why?" generation that asks questions and forms opinions from that, creating many innovations as a result. However, I think we are more of a "how?" generation that just wants to know how it happens so they can get a good mark come test time and that's it, we forget all about it later.

+1
I agree.

Honestly, I think that is the best answer I have ever read. That's so true though. We do not care if we fail, and we say we will succeed, but that is as far as it goes. The thing is, when nothing happens to us, we're great, even when that child in front of us is dying, it's all good, cause' that's not us at least. We pity, but we do nothing about it. We just care of ourselves. A study in the 1980's was conducted to understand how much we think of ourselves and relate the world to our own purpose, it was 60% of our thoughts are of ourselves, 30% about how much others could benefit us through them and 10% of pure consideration and empathy towards others, and the 'selfish'number is rising every year too. We still "feel" for others, but do nothing about it, we have too much confidence in ourselves. We forgot to "do" things too. We forget that, "Gee, what if that was us? Let's help."
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
SUMmer123456
#183 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:36:19 PM

TealWind wrote:
dancee wrote:
Mark Alan Wilson wrote:
I worry about our generation because I think previous ones have been a more "why?" generation that asks questions and forms opinions from that, creating many innovations as a result. However, I think we are more of a "how?" generation that just wants to know how it happens so they can get a good mark come test time and that's it, we forget all about it later.

+1
I agree.

Honestly, I think that is the best answer I have ever read. That's so true though. We do not care if we fail, and we say we will succeed, but that is as far as it goes. The thing is, when nothing happens to us, we're great, even when that child in front of us is dying, it's all good, cause' that's not us at least. We pity, but we do nothing about it. We just care of ourselves. A study in the 1980's was conducted to understand how much we think of ourselves and relate the world to our own purpose, it was 60% of our thoughts are of ourselves, 30% about how much others could benefit us through them and 10% of pure consideration and empathy towards others, and the 'selfish'number is rising every year too. We still "feel" for others, but do nothing about it, we have too much confidence in ourselves. We forgot to "do" things too. We forget that, "Gee, what if that was us? Let's help."

You make a good point, but I think it goes beyond that even. A lot of people used to be selfish in the past too; the only think keeping people in line were societal expectations/pressures. You had a community back then, and you believed you were inseparable from it, so that kept these "selfish sentiments" in check. People are a lot more independent now, so they're not as concerned about keeping pretenses alive in many situations. However, even a false presumption of society can seep into a belief that perhaps it is important. If you keep on living beliefs, even if you don't espouse them as your own, they will influence you. People in the past committed some horrible atrocities (the results of which we are are still living with in many cases if we look around us, and which showed a grotesque lack of foresight). People have more perspective nowadays about the world and their place in it. They are opening up to new people and new ways of thinking, but I think the problems with society reflect less on "generational differences" and more on human nature. We see the world as only us (there are no other perspectives without conscious effort)..., so selfishness is not a surprising outcome. Babies and children are ridiculously self-absorbed and uncaring without "indoctrination of societal beliefs (which would be morally commendable in this case)", but through effort and reflection they grow into better human beings...perhaps this says a lot about humanity in general too...
englishbuff
#184 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:17:14 PM

Mark Alan Wilson wrote:

That, I believe, is the biggest issue.
I'd like to also add that our generation is influenced when we see 'how' happen and see it succeed. this 'how' factor is stemmed by parental influence and achievement standards because we feel it is no longer possible to become 'someone' if we do not use the 'how'.
And as cheesy as it sounds, education is a starting place for us to achieve the 'someone' we would like to be but being that 'someone' requires more than that in your mind, I presume.

And lets end this with another cheesy quote:
"Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire"
-Yeats
Applied for Fall 2014 Admission
McGill University (accepted)
Western University (accepted)
University of Toronto- St. George (accepted)
York University (accepted)
University of Waterloo (accepted)
Top 6: 88%
Attending: McGill University! Class of 2018
tracypoprox
#185 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:48:34 PM

Self-centered, impatient, selfish, materialistic, anti-social.

Application for Fall 2012 Admission
Applied To:
Honours Biomedical Science - York University [Admission Status: Accepted]
Honours Psychology - York University [Admission Status: Accepted]
Honours Biomedical Science - University of Ottawa [Admission Status: Accepted]
Honours Zoology - University of Guelph [Admission Status: Accepted]
Honours Psychology (Life Sciences) - University of Toronto Scarborough [Admission Status: Joined!]
Health Studies (Humanities) - University of Toronto St.George [Admission Status: Accepted]

ticklemuffin
#186 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:42:32 PM

It'd be much less tedious and time consuming to ask "What's NOT wrong with our generation?"
canadiens1
#187 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 3:06:45 PM

Kids are growing up getting EVERYTHING they want and their parents are letting them get it without deserving it. The music they listen to and the tv they watch portrays this as well. Once society is less self-centered it will only take a little while before the generation begins to change.
NeptuniumTrioxide
#188 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:08:07 PM

simple idea:
we, "smart folk" need to have an idiotic generation to function, think about it, who has to do the dirty jobs, who builds the foundation for richness = stupid humans from the new generation who have wasted their life. their always needs to be more idiots then geniuses or else we'll all be competing and we know we have enough people to compete with for jobs, clubs, education ext.
Point is, next time i see "one of them" doing something stupid, i wont stop him/her to try to teach them a lesson. (sorry for sh!tty grammar)

-i guess that is pretty self-centered. to bad people need that, whats the purpose of a mind = self to self communication.

other then that, the stereotypical stupid kid from the new generation would usually be doing one of these.
-listening to violent music that plays a negative role on them
-hitting on women/men when ever he/she can
-drugs+alcohol "experimentation"
-bragging about sexual life
-wasting time on Facebook or some other over-rated social networking site.
NeptuniumTrioxide
#189 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:08:33 PM

ticklemuffin wrote:
It'd be much less tedious and time consuming to ask "What's NOT wrong with our generation?"

+1
NeptuniumTrioxide
#190 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:15:39 PM

tracypoprox wrote:
anti-social.

antisocial?
first of all that's primarily associated with the anti-social syndrome. look it up.

second of all, how would the general idea of severe Independence be a bad thing about our generation. most smart kids know are more independent then idiots, that's why they are smarter. their not peer pressured into doing something stupid or spend all their time with friends ruining their fun time vs homework time relationship. if anything, an "anti-social" kid would have a much likelier chance of succeeding in life.
bcd92
#191 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:19:05 PM

What is wrong with our generation? Can't you see for yourself; there's 189 posts, make that 190. People have no life!
Co-op Management
University of Toronto
Class of 2016
Quiz
#192 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:54:17 PM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
bcd92
#193 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:00:35 PM

on second thought, its trolls like quiz ;p
Co-op Management
University of Toronto
Class of 2016
brady23
#194 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:17:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

The Lost Generation - A very powerful 2 minute video, check it out!
Applying to:

McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)

"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
Serllen
#195 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:30:58 AM

I think we rely on technology too much. Like phones, computers, internet, TV...etc. So with this being said, a lot of other problems will come along with this habit like, other posts have already mentioned, being too lazy, apathetic, lack of socialization with other people , lives in a virtual world...etc I'm also part of this as well XD
moonlight
#196 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:11:46 PM

ARMY101 wrote:
I think our generation is too apathetic when it comes to politics, voting, and following the happenings of what's going on in our federal, provincial, and municipal governments.

true, not many people pay attention to that stuff anymore and I am one of those.
So now i always try to watch the news with my dad so that i will have some information.
MoonLight
Code:
Quote:
moonlight
#197 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:16:42 PM

mostly, i think our generation to dependent on technology.
yeah, technology has made our life easier but we are way too much dependent.

there are less people trying to change the world to make it a better place.
MoonLight
Code:
Quote:
anky2930
#198 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:04:18 AM

Mark Alan Wilson wrote:
I also feel like we are a generation that when things don't go our way, we just let them happen again and again and never do we get up and fight back so we are always in this spiral of failures when we celebrate such minuscule victories.

ya you are right we repeat our mistek again and again
trainingwheels
#199 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:56:24 AM

We're so used to instant gratification that we don't even know what it's like to work for something anymore. It's kind of terrifying, actually, to imagine what'll happen to the next generation. The good thing about us is we've seen what life was like before this much technology, so we have a slight grasp of what life was like before the convenience of internet.

And have you guys been on 9gag lately? A whole lot of problems with our generation is present there. People are more ridiculed for making a simple grammar mistake than when they make a sexist joke. That's pretty f'd up.
Accepted:
UVic Arts
SFU Arts
UofT Arts
UBC Arts

Decision:
UBC Arts (Arts One)
infinitoria
#200 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:48:00 PM

Nothing. I'm of the belief that some people have always been awful, and others haven't.
11 Pages «<891011>
Conversation Jump