Browse Our Top Categories

OSAP Questions! Options ▼
leah93
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:04:40 AM

Can someone please explain OSAP to me?!? I know that it is a loan, and I know that I'm going to have to get a loan because that's the only way I'm going to go to University/College.
But do you get a lump sum at the beginning of the semester or do you get it throughout the semester?
When schools ask for your tuition for the semester can you pay it all off at once with the money from OSAP?
Can you use OSAP to pay your deposit, like for Ryerson you have to pay $1000 by July for a deposit on my program, can OSAP cover it?
When do I apply for OSAP? Do I have to accept a school first?

The website really wasn't helpful, any info anyone can give me would be really helpful! :)
MSC
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:19:38 AM

leah93 wrote:
Can someone please explain OSAP to me?!? I know that it is a loan, and I know that I'm going to have to get a loan because that's the only way I'm going to go to University/College.
But do you get a lump sum at the beginning of the semester or do you get it throughout the semester?
When schools ask for your tuition for the semester can you pay it all off at once with the money from OSAP?
Can you use OSAP to pay your deposit, like for Ryerson you have to pay $1000 by July for a deposit on my program, can OSAP cover it?
When do I apply for OSAP? Do I have to accept a school first?

The website really wasn't helpful, any info anyone can give me would be really helpful! :)

OSAP gives you money in mid oct and mid jan. Normally the school can delay tution and housing fees if you can show them that osap did not pay yet (Do this can also remove possible late fees).
They won't give you money early and (If I Remember Correctly) they do require you to be accepted at a school because they require your student ID and your university and program information. They will do a automatic price check on your tution if you are attending some universities in ontario and can give you a some what accurate estimation at the end.
Like I said, you can apply for osap from when ever it starts for you (I am in ROTP so I don't need it any more) and up to 90 days before the end of your program year (IIRC).
Conversation Jump