2 Pages <12
Ivey HBA 2012 Graduate Options ▼
iveyhba
#21 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:36:33 PM

serena87 wrote:
Were you an AEO student?
What was your average and ECs?

Yes.

My highschool average was 92. My main EC was being the president of a club, other ECs I had were mostly sports related.
iveyhba
#22 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:38:59 PM

Topiary wrote:
Zyzz wrote:
My Application:
ECs:
-reffing hockey (5 years, also helped train younger officials and won several awards)
-Red Cross Club Executive Event Coordinator
-Hockey (12 years, captain of team several years, we won tournaments and won the championship twice, shows teamwork, leadership, and achievement)

Part time job at sport chek

Top 4 (BC) average after first term- 90.75%, will increase it for second term

50/50

A lot will hinge on how you frame your application. You have to really make your ECs stand out and show your leadership qualities. PM if you want some more personal advice.

I'll get back to most of your PMs tonight, I fly out of town early tomorrow so It might be about 24 hours before I can get back to you guys again.
Vancouver44
#23 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 10:12:32 PM

Hey what do you think my chances are?

As of term 1 (lets imagine the marks stay the same)

Law- 94
Economics- 94
English- 91
Pre Calc- 86

Average 91.25

ECs

Humanitarian trip to Dominican Republic- lots of leadership, teamwork ect
Hockey ref and Baseball ump for 5 years
Hockey and baseball player for 10 years
Dishwasher/ cook for 1 year
Counsellor at Outdoorschool- BC thing, kinda like a weeklong summer camp, except through school, lots of leadership, teamwork ect
Leader at a daycamp for 2 weeks
Ski team and golf team for a couple years
student council and international ambassador at school

Thanks a lot for doing this
Western Poli Sci + AEO '17
IveyHBAandMScRecruiting
#24 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 11:13:08 AM

Hi there,

It's always nice to see current Ivey students helping out prospective students and providing them with additional feedback. I just wanted to introduce myself as well if anyone had any further questions. My name is Alan Neal and I am a 2012 HBA Graduate from the dual degree program with science. I am currently one of the recruiters for the HBA program therefore am responsible for being a main point of contact for high school students looking to move into the program. It's great to see so much interest in the program. If you are interested in clearing up any of the rumors, or just want more specific questions answered on the program or application process, as both a graduate of the program and someone now involved with the program, I can be quite useful. I'm sure I would be able to help with any concerns, issues or questions you have. Feel free to send me an email at aneal@ivey.ca, or give me a call at 519-661-2111 ext 88538. If you're in the area, you can always drop by my office in the old Ivey Building rm 2G18 to have a sit down chat.

Cheers,

Alan
Topiary
#25 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 12:27:07 PM

Hey! Thanks for doing this!

1. How hard is it to land an Ibanking job out of Ivey?

2. How much math is there in Ivey for finance majors?

3. What do you wish you knew going into Ivey?
iveyhba
#26 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 9:57:19 PM

Vancouver44 wrote:
Hey what do you think my chances are?

As of term 1 (lets imagine the marks stay the same)

Law- 94
Economics- 94
English- 91
Pre Calc- 86

Average 91.25

ECs

Humanitarian trip to Dominican Republic- lots of leadership, teamwork ect
Hockey ref and Baseball ump for 5 years
Hockey and baseball player for 10 years
Dishwasher/ cook for 1 year
Counsellor at Outdoorschool- BC thing, kinda like a weeklong summer camp, except through school, lots of leadership, teamwork ect
Leader at a daycamp for 2 weeks
Ski team and golf team for a couple years
student council and international ambassador at school

Thanks a lot for doing this

Your fine......make sure those essays are good :)
iveyhba
#27 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 10:01:02 PM

IveyHBAandMScRecruiting wrote:
Hi there,

It's always nice to see current Ivey students helping out prospective students and providing them with additional feedback. I just wanted to introduce myself as well if anyone had any further questions. My name is Alan Neal and I am a 2012 HBA Graduate from the dual degree program with science. I am currently one of the recruiters for the HBA program therefore am responsible for being a main point of contact for high school students looking to move into the program. It's great to see so much interest in the program. If you are interested in clearing up any of the rumors, or just want more specific questions answered on the program or application process, as both a graduate of the program and someone now involved with the program, I can be quite useful. I'm sure I would be able to help with any concerns, issues or questions you have. Feel free to send me an email at aneal@ivey.ca, or give me a call at 519-661-2111 ext 88538. If you're in the area, you can always drop by my office in the old Ivey Building rm 2G18 to have a sit down chat.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan, but ultimately I'm sure you would leave out some details as you work for dean stephenson ;)
iveyhba
#28 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 10:03:20 PM

Topiary wrote:

That is such a relative question. Its hard. You have to be in the top 10-20%.

Nothing too crazy. And theres no finance major. You mold your own courses. Maybe derivatives will be as hard as it gets.

I wish I partied more (not that I didnt). You meet the coolest people ever and your all so alike, its hard not to make life long friends.
Topiary
#29 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:33:57 AM

iveyhba wrote:
Topiary wrote:

Nothing too crazy. And theres no finance major. You mold your own courses. Maybe derivatives will be as hard as it gets.

I wish I partied more (not that I didnt). You meet the coolest people ever and your all so alike, its hard not to make life long friends.

How hard is it to be in the top 20%?
IveyHBAandMScRecruiting
#30 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:53:07 AM

iveyhba wrote:
IveyHBAandMScRecruiting wrote:
Hi there,

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan, but ultimately I'm sure you would leave out some details as you work for dean stephenson ;)

My goal is to provide accurate information to students to assist them in making their decision. This is about finding the right fit for students.
NDeca112
#31 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:57:12 PM

Hi, I read that you work as a consultant earning close to 100k including bonus. I have a few questions.

1. What type of consultant are you?
2. How many other Ivey grads landed a job similar to yours because it doesn't seem normal.
3. How often to do travel? Where to? Is it all on company budget?
4. Did you have a very high GPA and stellar ECs in Ivey?
UBC Sauder School of Business - Accepted
Wilfred Laurier School of Business & Economics - Accepted
Western Economics - Accepted + Ivey AEO
iveyhba
#32 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:19:32 PM

Topiary wrote:
iveyhba wrote:
Topiary wrote:

How hard is it to be in the top 20%?

Its all relative on your incoming class. I can't really quantify this for you.

But imagine 500 other kids relatively as smart as you and as willing to work hard. You gotta beat about 400 of them.
iveyhba
#33 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:26:44 PM

NDeca112 wrote:
Hi, I read that you work as a consultant earning close to 100k including bonus. I have a few questions.

1. What type of consultant are you?
2. How many other Ivey grads landed a job similar to yours because it doesn't seem normal.
3. How often to do travel? Where to? Is it all on company budget?
4. Did you have a very high GPA and stellar ECs in Ivey?

Strategy consulting. Projects can take on a lot of forms, anything from growing revenues to launch a new product.

Similar in terms of what salary? Any I-banker makes more than me I'll tell you that much. I'd say anyone in consulting in some of the top tier firms has a comparable salary to myself. so lets say 20-30 kids.

All depends on the assignment for both those questions. Yes of course on their budget. Hotels and flights on their dime, they will fly me home on the weekend if I want. Lunch and dinner are on them as well as drycleaning.

In Ivey ECs are almost meaningless. Its a nice to have and makes you appear more well rounded but it really doesnt add all that much value when a recruiter is looking at you. My marks were good, but not higher than top 20%. Networking is key to landing the best jobs even with on-campus recruiting.
greatwallpaul
#34 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:24:45 AM

Should I transfer to a module I actually LIKE instead of BMOS? The worry is that I would not keep an 80....:S

1) Does BMOS correlate AT ALL with Ivey success? Answer seems to be no... but all this business jargon has to be good for something right :S

2) what did you do your first 2 years?
BMOS, Ivey AEO
University of Western Ontario | Class of 2016

Windsongs4
#35 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:03:10 PM

Hey greatwallpaul -your PM is full :P
Laurier BBA 2016

What did I apply to before? (no order):

Schulich iBBA [Accepted]
Queen's [Wait Listed]
Ivey w BMOS and Psych [Accepted]
Waterloo AFM (interviewed for Fellowship) [Accepted]
McGill -Immunology & Microbiology [Accepted]
Guelph -Food & Hotel Mngmnt. [Accepted]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Questions about the IB program? Wondering how it helps, affects, or damages your university applications? Visit http://sytywtib.blogspot.ca/ to see what a graduated Year 2 student has to say, or comment and ask questions on the different topics!
iveyhba
#36 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:56:23 PM

greatwallpaul wrote:
Should I transfer to a module I actually LIKE instead of BMOS? The worry is that I would not keep an 80....:S

1) Does BMOS correlate AT ALL with Ivey success? Answer seems to be no... but all this business jargon has to be good for something right :S

2) what did you do your first 2 years?

1) Ya do whatever you want. take 1220 and 2257 and your already on par with most ivey students. If your more interested in something you'l likely do better in it.

2)bmos
pawleen
#37 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:08:54 PM

Hello.
I have also pm-ed you as well :)

I'm interested in international business, would you say Ivey is a good school for this stream?

Where did you go for your exchange program? How was it?

And would you say doing Political Science for the first two years is beneficial?
Is doing a minor in french possible in the midst of everything? (with the dual degree + hba)?
Thanks so much.
ACCEPTED OFFER:

WESTERN UNIVERSITY (POLITICAL SCIENCE/ECONOMICS W/ AEO STATUS)
2 Pages <12
Conversation Jump