Browse Our Top Categories

Waterloo Software Engineering, Designing an app Options ▼
ZalM
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:05:43 PM

So I read here that one way to increase your chances to get into Software Engineering at Waterloo is to design an application for Android/iOS. I was wondering how one would be able to include this in the AIF and what kind of app it would have to be (how detailed, what possible functions). Any examples of apps that would be considered would help as well.

Thanks!
2012Applicant
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:18:13 PM

Don't worry about it much. By saying that you designed an app for ios or android and explaining what you did (technically) that should be fine. You do not have to provide proof and source code, however you also don't want to lie.
University of Waterloo : Software Engineering
Current term: First coop term, May - August
ZalM
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:51:24 PM

Thanks a lot! Exactly the answer i needed :)
seasharp
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:49:48 PM

If you really wanted to "include it", then providing a link to a GitHub account or something would be one way to go, or if it's published on the Android Market/App Store, include that.
University of Guelph
B.Comp. Software Engineering, 2017 (Co-op)

Applications (for Fall 2012):
University of Waterloo - Computer Science (Alternate offer to Geomatics, May)
University of Guelph - Software Engineering (Accepted, March)
Carleton University - Computer Science: Game Development (Accepted, February)
Carleton University - Interactive Multimedia and Design (Accepted, March)
The University of Western Ontario - B.Sc. Computer Science (Cancelled application)

First semester (mixed w/ grade 11 marks) average: low-mid 80s (82-84%)
Second semester midterm average: 81.33%
jxjhappy
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:23:02 PM

Does this designing an app for ios or android count really much for the addmission determining?
Because I am applying to software engineering too and I really have no idea about the details for designing such apps? Do I have to learn and try this or I will still have a pretty good chance to get in even if I don't design any apps for ios or android?
Thanks
volnxebec
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:09:13 PM

I know friends of mine who got accepted to waterloo software when he applied in April (2 years back)... all they care is good marks.. Designing app will help u get a coop, but I will say it won't help that much for admission unless ur mark is just boarderline
NΨ 1T5 + PEY
rgawdzik
#7 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 8:18:46 AM

Apps are very super easy to make and publish, I am sure you won't have a problem.

If you want, PM me and I can get you started.
xOrangeBearx
#8 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 11:06:10 AM

rgawdzik wrote:
Apps are very super easy to make and publish, I am sure you won't have a problem.

Don't listen to this guy, apps are hard to make and take a lot of time. They take lots of hard-work and dedication.
Applied:
UofT - Mechanical Eng ACCEPTED Mar. 8 2013
UWaterloo - Mechatronics Eng
MacMaster - Mechatronics Eng ACCEPTED Feb. 22 2013
rgawdzik
#9 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 1:40:05 PM

xOrangeBearx wrote:
rgawdzik wrote:

Don't listen to this guy, apps are hard to make and take a lot of time. They take lots of hard-work and dedication.

lol, this guy goes to my school. He never made an app before. He doesn't understand that it depends on what type of app you make.

Sure 3D games take a while to make, I've made them before, but something simple is just like an ordinary computer program.
tyuo9980
#10 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 3:28:53 PM

https://play.google.com/...pps/details?id=com.RICE

Here's a game that I started over the summer. It took a while though for the graphics and the music and I had to rush it near the end.

It was a group effort so in addition to having the initiative to work on a project like this I also had to manage the project, assign tasks to everyone, and schedule group meetings. I tried to make sure that everyone met deadlines but that just doesn't always happen.

If you plan to make an app, you should talk about what motivated you to do this project, what you learned, all that stuff.

Doing a project like this that's outside of school is somewhat unique. I would say that this alone can boost you by 1%.

I asked a professor who is also part of admissions and he said that most people, with activities such as DECA, robotics, some math competitions, and other school clubs, get a score of 2-3 out of a possible 5 on the AIF. Any national/international level achievements can boost you to the 4-5 range. That includes participating in F1 internationals, VEX/FIRST robotics internationals, olympiads, and even maybe starting something unique such as this.
University of Waterloo - Software Engineering 2018

"The calculations that engineers make are the mark of people who lived truthfully."
- Steve Wozniak

CS avg: 90.83
SE avg: 88.17
AIF score: 4/5

UW - Software Engineering (Accepted 5/6/13)
UW - Computer Science (Accepted 5/7/13)
UofT - Computer Engineering (Rejected 5/22/13)
UofT - Computer Science (Accepted 3/14/13)
Queens - Computing (Accepted 5/1/13)
McMaster - Engineering I Co-op (Accepted 5/1/13)
rgawdzik
#11 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 4:00:27 PM

tyuo9980 wrote:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RICE

Here's a game that I started over the summer. It took a while though for the graphics and the music and I had to rush it near the end.

It was a group effort so in addition to having the initiative to work on a project like this I also had to manage the project, assign tasks to everyone, and schedule group meetings. I tried to make sure that everyone met deadlines but that just doesn't always happen.

If you plan to make an app, you should talk about what motivated you to do this project, what you learned, all that stuff.

Doing a project like this that's outside of school is somewhat unique. I would say that this alone can boost you by 1%.

I asked a professor who is also part of admissions and he said that most people, with activities such as DECA, robotics, some math competitions, and other school clubs, get a score of 2-3 out of a possible 5 on the AIF. Any national/international level achievements can boost you to the 4-5 range. That includes participating in F1 internationals, VEX/FIRST robotics internationals, olympiads, and even maybe starting something unique such as this.

I personally made 8 apps, and 2 games, 1 2D & 1 3D in 2012. They are great, not only for the learning experience, but they make you stand out, not only by schools, but by big names like MSFT & INTC.
jxjhappy
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:23:50 PM

Then what would be the safe marks for getting into software engineering if I don't have experience of developing that kind of programs( probably I won't have a really strong AFI either)?

By the way, where can we declare all the programs or projects that we've developed so far or experiences familiar to those on our AFI?(Is that the only place for us to declare those is in the engineering portion, third essay question with 600 characters limitation?)

Thanks for the explaiations.
tyuo9980
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:44:50 PM

jxjhappy wrote:
Then what would be the safe marks for getting into software engineering if I don't have experience of developing that kind of programs( probably I won't have a really strong AFI either)?

By the way, where can we declare all the programs or projects that we've developed so far or experiences familiar to those on our AFI?(Is that the only place for us to declare those is in the engineering portion, third essay question with 600 characters limitation?)

Thanks for the explaiations.

https://uwaterloo.ca/que...ission-information-form

its "Admission information form (AIF)" btw.

You will be able to put all extra info on the AIF.

I would say minimum 90 if u dont have any ECs or done any contests.

~88 if you do have ECs.

To be safe just aim for 90s.
University of Waterloo - Software Engineering 2018

"The calculations that engineers make are the mark of people who lived truthfully."
- Steve Wozniak

CS avg: 90.83
SE avg: 88.17
AIF score: 4/5

UW - Software Engineering (Accepted 5/6/13)
UW - Computer Science (Accepted 5/7/13)
UofT - Computer Engineering (Rejected 5/22/13)
UofT - Computer Science (Accepted 3/14/13)
Queens - Computing (Accepted 5/1/13)
McMaster - Engineering I Co-op (Accepted 5/1/13)
Conversation Jump