Browse Our Top Categories

University of Alberta vs Calgary Options ▼
lianne411
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 9:06:05 PM

Hi I have been granted early admission for Kinesiology in both U of A and U of C so far. I was just wondering reasons why I should pick one school over the other. Right now my main focus is staying in Alberta. Some reasons I am having trouble deciding which school to attend are these:

University of Calgary-

Pros: 1 hour away from my home. Really good Kinesiology reputation. I liked the residence.I'm pretty comfortable in the city of Calgary.

Cons: Not as prestigious as an education at U of Alberta. Lots of bad reviews regarding education at the U of C online... Pretty expensive compared to other universities.

University of Alberta-

Pros: Top 5 Universities of Canada. Also a good Kinesiology program. If I decide to change my program U of A reputation is strong in most areas of study.

Cons: 5 hours away from my home. Hated Lister Residence. Edmonton is cold... and I don't really feel safe in that city.

Anyways any opinions from people who go to either school is appreciated as well as anyone else who can help me. It's a tough choice for me and I really would love some input. :)
BuckinFuffalo
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 9:25:40 PM

Don't go to either, they both suck.

I don't have much of an opinion on these because I know nothing about them since I'm from souther Ontario. What I do know is that I'd personally go to the University of Calgary because of the city it's in (it's basically the TO of the west). I also have a friend who has already accepted an offer from there, so he must think it's really good then.

Also, just go with your gut.
nutritionrunner
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:17:42 AM

The reputation of the university doesn't matter a whole lot for undergraduate studies - it is more important at the graduate level. So while U of A might be better for graduate studies, it doesn't offer any real advantage at the undergraduate level.

From everything you've said in your post, Calgary seems to be the better option. If you go on to do graduate studies later, then you'll have to look closer at U of A, but for undergraduate studies, the fact that U of A has "prestige" is irrelevant.
University of Guelph - Applied Human Nutrition 2014 - Scholarship Recipient - Convocation Award Winner
Have questions? Check out these links: AMA: University of Guelph, Why People Choose Guelph
Feel free to ask me about nutrition & dietetics programs, Dietitians of Canada student memberships, or Guelph
Accepted to: Guelph MSc in Applied Human Nutrition, Guelph MAN, UofToronto MPH in Community Nutrition
Attending: UofToronto MPH in Community Nutrition - Scholarship for Top-Ranked Incoming Students
michaelplease
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 6:12:11 PM

I go to UCalgary. I'm happy with my decision.

I think choosing the university based on the city is a good idea. I don't think Calgary is such a great city (I come from Vancouver) but I think it is a nicer/warmer than Edmonton.

As others have stated, the undergraduate reputation won't matter too much for grad admissions, especially when comparing UAlberta/UCalgary. It would be a bit different if you were comparing say UToronto/Brock and were looking to go to the top graduate programs in the world.

I am in the Science Faculty but from what I've seen the Kinesiology Faculty here seems pretty good. They seem to have lots of fun and also opportunities for research. I have heard that they are at the forefront of a few research areas.

If you do decide to switch majors, it should be alright if you switch to a science major. If you are looking at an Arts major you might be better off at Alberta... I don't think Calgary is very strong in the Arts.

After all of one semester, my professors all been very good :) . However, the courses are easier than my friends' at UBC/UT which could be a good or bad thing depending on what you like. As well, I think the students are of a lower caliber than say at UA...
Razear
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:09:50 PM

U of A for two reasons: school ranking and the fact that Calgary is no man's land. You'll likely enjoy your experience in Edmonton a lot more assuming you are a city person.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
mynameismattgotmlgo
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:14:15 AM

As far as crime goes, Edmonton has some bad parts, but most of the city I'm sure would be comparable to Calgary. The south side of Edmonton, which includes the U of A, is definitely the good part. Otherwise, I think the cities are not too different. Yeah, Calgary is probably a bit warmer in the winter, it's closer to the mountains; aside from that, not too different. Edmonton has nicer parks, and housing is cheaper.

Like nutritionrunner, I don't think the reputation of the school should be a concern, unless it is important to you. Potential employers won't care.
BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology, UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy, University of Alberta '13 - Drop out as of '11
University Certificate in Finance, Athabasca University '12
Power Engineering Certificate, NAIT '14
commander108
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 08, 2013 12:29:57 AM

lianne411 wrote:
Hi I have been granted early admission for Kinesiology in both U of A and U of C so far. I was just wondering reasons why I should pick one school over the other. Right now my main focus is staying in Alberta. Some reasons I am having trouble deciding which school to attend are these:

University of Calgary-

Pros: 1 hour away from my home. Really good Kinesiology reputation. I liked the residence.I'm pretty comfortable in the city of Calgary.

Cons: Not as prestigious as an education at U of Alberta. Lots of bad reviews regarding education at the U of C online... Pretty expensive compared to other universities.

University of Alberta-

Pros: Top 5 Universities of Canada. Also a good Kinesiology program. If I decide to change my program U of A reputation is strong in most areas of study.

Cons: 5 hours away from my home. Hated Lister Residence. Edmonton is cold... and I don't really feel safe in that city.

Anyways any opinions from people who go to either school is appreciated as well as anyone else who can help me. It's a tough choice for me and I really would love some input. :)

I would choose Alberta because Calgary has pretty bad reviews and students haven't given it the thumbs up. Not only that but Alberta also does have the leg up on ranking and reputation.
3rd Year Medical Student

B.Sc. (Hons) Medicine - University of St Andrews
M.B., Ch.B. Medicine - University of Edinburgh Medical School
Conversation Jump