Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
Questions about McGill rez? Options ▼
Palisades
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:16:46 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 1/28/2011
Posts: 38
Hey!
I'm thinking about going to McGill next year, but honestly, the residences don't look all that nice (other than the swanky hotels). How did you decide which to pick? I think I'm leaning toward Royal Victoria (for its location) or Douglas. Also, is the food as horrible as I hear it is?
Accepted to: University of Western Ontario: Global Studies
University of Toronto (Victoria College): Peace and Conflict Studies
Queen's University: Social Sciences
McGill University: Social Sciences
jessiexo
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:55:01 AM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 2/13/2011
Posts: 191
Palisades wrote:
Hey!
I'm thinking about going to McGill next year, but honestly, the residences don't look all that nice (other than the swanky hotels). How did you decide which to pick? I think I'm leaning toward Royal Victoria (for its location) or Douglas. Also, is the food as horrible as I hear it is?


Go to the "swanky hotels". My sister stayed there, apparently the food is not even comparable. If you want to avoid all the fried, yucky caf foods, go to New Res :P
McGill: BSc Biol, Biomed & Life Sci
lemony
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:03:06 AM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 11/28/2010
Posts: 212
What do you know about the MORE houses, Greenbriar Apartments, and Solin Hall? Would it be harder for those people to meet new people because they are not in a big residence building? Is there much interaction between different residences? What is frosh week like (I guess that's not really residence but it still relates to meeting people)?
tgruber
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:17:55 PM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 21,551
How do you like Gardner? If you could choose to be in any of the upper rezes, would you put it first?
I'm planning to rank all 3 upper rezes first, but i dont know which to put as my top. are there any stereotypes about the people in them? I've heard that molson= party rez, mcconnell= chill, down to earth and gardner= more artsy...true?
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
meghie
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:56:26 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 22
Palisades wrote:
Hey!
I'm thinking about going to McGill next year, but honestly, the residences don't look all that nice (other than the swanky hotels). How did you decide which to pick? I think I'm leaning toward Royal Victoria (for its location) or Douglas. Also, is the food as horrible as I hear it is?



Well looks like the girl who originally made this thread isn't responding to any of the questions... I'm in first year and I live at RVC (Royal Victoria College). I love it here. The location, rooms, and food is amazing. Our caf was just renovated last year so it is brand new and many people believe it is the best caf on campus. We have a pasta bar, sandwich bar, smoothies, salad bar, made-to-order grill, and the hot-meals are pretty good too most of the time.

Douglas is an awesome rez too! One of my good friends lives there. It is in Upper Rez so the hill can suck sometimes. But the best thing about Douglas is the tight-knit community that there is there. The building is also so old and beautiful :)
| McGill Chemical Engineering 2014 |
johannan
#6 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 2:09:51 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 3/21/2011
Posts: 4
I've heard that each rez sort of has a reputation that goes along with it (e.g. Molson is known as the party rez). Aside from stereotypes, how does life in each rez compare, are they all relatively the same, or are some more known for certain things?
HEADED TO:
McGill University - Undeclared Arts

ACCEPTED:
McGill University - Undeclared Arts
Wilfrid Laurier University - Communication Studies
Queen's University - General Arts
University of Western Ontario - Media, Information, Technoculture
St. Francis Xavier University - Humanities Colloquium
Dalhousie University - Political Science
York University - Communication Studies
meghie
#7 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 11:49:25 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 22
johannan wrote:
I've heard that each rez sort of has a reputation that goes along with it (e.g. Molson is known as the party rez). Aside from stereotypes, how does life in each rez compare, are they all relatively the same, or are some more known for certain things?



Hello,

Even though each rez may have a "stereotype" I would not base your decisions on which residence to live on that. Most of the upper-rezs are pretty much the same in terms of the bedrooms and the layout. They all have to eat at BHM Dining Hall... and it is known for it's bad food lol. RVC is an mix of all different people and I really like it here. We're definitely known for our good caf and close proximity to the campus. The rooms are also a bit bigger than the upper-rez rooms. New Rez is kind of far away from campus, about 4 blocks away. It's the largest rez. Carrefour is on Sherbrooke street about a block away from campus. Their caf is pretty small and I'm not sure how tight-knit they are. Douglas has a really tight-knit community as they have one common room per floor, per "house". Houses go from A-G and consist of three floors. I don't know too much about MORE, Prez Rez and University/Dio Hall. Solin is pretty far away. And Prez Rez and University/Dio are pretty small but right across the road from campus. They use the RVC Caf.
| McGill Chemical Engineering 2014 |
juls
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:02:15 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 13
does anyone have any idea about the newest mcgill res, opening in the fall? specifically people who go to mcgill now and have heard rumors etc http://www.mcgilldaily.c...ott_for_new_new_new_rez/
Palisades
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 5:09:42 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 1/28/2011
Posts: 38
juls wrote:
does anyone have any idea about the newest mcgill res, opening in the fall? specifically people who go to mcgill now and have heard rumors etc http://www.mcgilldaily.c...tt_for_new_new_new_rez/


Oh, i've never even heard about this... have they provided the residence preference forms to people accepted yet? b/c it could be on there I guess, if they've opened that res for fall 2011 as the article says.
Accepted to: University of Western Ontario: Global Studies
University of Toronto (Victoria College): Peace and Conflict Studies
Queen's University: Social Sciences
McGill University: Social Sciences
francoisceg
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:06:07 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 3/25/2011
Posts: 2
Okay guys, I have another question for you considering that you answered perfectly before :)
I'm an international student (I'm french but i lived a year in Washington DC so my english is quite good), I'm gonna be in the engineering department with a minor scholarship. Now I have to pick the residence where I'll be living next year, and it's getting really complicated... OK let me explain. I'm hesitating between Douglas and RVC because:
- I'm really into sports so I think that living at Douglas would be a good thing considering its proximity with the stadium, and RVC is pretty far from it.
- I'd prefer a single room, because i need some independence and privacy but on the other hand, I'd like to be involved in the social life of Mcgill (not being the nerd that stays in his room with his computer all day long if you know what I mean) and I like to party quite a bit.
- I think I wouldn't mind to climb a hill every day, but I guess i can't know right now. Damn guys, that's hell of a weather apparently!

I've made some researches about those residences, and I've seen a lot that Douglas was especially wanted by the scholarships winners. Do you have any idea why? Is it a tradition or is it because it's an excellent residence? And I've also seen that the ambiance was a little bit freaky, even "harry potteresque" (I don't know if it's an English term) and that even if there is a real sense of community, it was THE Douglas community. Does that mean we're kinda excluded from the other people and residences? I've seen also that the bathrooms were Co-ed. I'm not sure to understand, does it mean that girls and guys share the same bathrooms?
Then, about RVC, I've seen that the recent changes that have been made make any belief hard to trust, even though some things stay the same: It's a residence very close to the campus, very connected with the faculty of arts and music (I'm not much of an artistic person), but it's still quite far from the other residences of McGill. Once again, are they kinda excluded? I heard also that the cafeteria was now awesome, but even if we're living in Douglas, as long as we have a meal plan we can eat wherever we want right? So that's not a really big deal, is it?

I know that's hell of a long post, but if you've made it to this line, I hope you'll be able to answer as good as possible.

Thank you in advance!

(btw, I'm visiting Montreal right now, and wow it looks like a wonderful place to study!)
smarty1
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:10:32 PM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 259
Which one, in your opinion, is the most cheapest one?... assuming that we buy meal plan only if it is mandatory.

How much does it cost you per year?... breakdown basically.

Which one, in your opinion, is the most convenient?... close to University I mean.

Can you just like describe each residence(s) briefly, those that you possibly could?
Decision: McGill, Desautels Management Class of 2015

Applied To [Accepted - 8/8]:
- McGill Desautels Management[Accepted]
- Waterloo AFM-PA + Fellowship Offer [Accepted]
- Laurier HBBA + Full Scholarship [Accepted]
- Schulich BBA [Accepted]
- Queen's Commerce [Accepted]
- McGill Arts [Accepted]
- Brock BAcc [Accepted]
- Western BMOS [Accepted] + Ivey AEO [Accepted]
juls
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 1:03:02 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 13
Palisades wrote:
juls wrote:
does anyone have any idea about the newest mcgill res, opening in the fall? specifically people who go to mcgill now and have heard rumors etc http://www.mcgilldaily.c...tt_for_new_new_new_rez/


Oh, i've never even heard about this... have they provided the residence preference forms to people accepted yet? b/c it could be on there I guess, if they've opened that res for fall 2011 as the article says.


no its not on the res ranking sheet so thats why i am so confused! i wish some one had some more info! IF it actually does exist and is opening in the fall, how will they choose who goes into it? like will they choose kids who ranked the other hotels in their top 3 or will it be the overflow people that they couldnt find residence for? SO MANY QUESTIONS
Palisades
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 1:59:32 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 1/28/2011
Posts: 38
smarty1 wrote:
Which one, in your opinion, is the most cheapest one?... assuming that we buy meal plan only if it is mandatory.

How much does it cost you per year?... breakdown basically.

Which one, in your opinion, is the most convenient?... close to University I mean.

Can you just like describe each residence(s) briefly, those that you possibly could?


1. Cheapest is likely to be the upperres (Molson, Gardner, and McConnell), Prezrez/University Hall. a couple of the MORE house options or Greenbriar could save you money since they don't require meal plans (I personally think the meal plans are ridiculously expensive)

2. Here's the fees outline for all the residences: http://www.mcgill.ca/stu...owntown-undergrad/fees/

3. RVC and Prerez/University are most centrally located: http://www.mcgill.ca/files///students/rezmap.pdf

4. I can't describe all of them since I've only visited a couple of them. Upper Res is definitely the most social, although on my tour the tourguide pointed out that basically everyone at every res lives by the "work hard, play hard" attitude. I also saw RVC and really liked what I saw, their study rooms and stuff are pretty nice. http://www.mcgill.ca/stu...n-undergrad/residences/ here's pictures and descriptions of all the reses.

They provide answers to almost every question on their site haha.
Accepted to: University of Western Ontario: Global Studies
University of Toronto (Victoria College): Peace and Conflict Studies
Queen's University: Social Sciences
McGill University: Social Sciences
Cupcaked
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 5:51:59 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 3/21/2011
Posts: 11
Would you recommend Greenbriar? The extremely high fees are making me hesitate, though I might be staying for summer courses. Also, was it difficult to get into RVC? Thanks!
McGill University Life Sciences/B.A. & B.Sc: Accepted
McMaster University Life Sciences: Accepted
Queens University Life Sciences: Accepted
University of Toronto Life Sciences: Accepted
University of Western Ontario Biomedical Sciences: Accepted

McMaster University Health Science: Pending
youstoppedmakingsense
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:07:21 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 1/30/2011
Posts: 50
I'm just a bit concerned about the bathroom situation....
Which halls have single-sex/co-ed/suite-style/communal bathrooms? Do we have to clean the bathrooms ourselves?
McGill Architecture 2015
Zion
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:38:45 PM
Rank: Student Body President




Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 1,288
youstoppedmakingsense wrote:
Do we have to clean the bathrooms ourselves?

I lol'd.
Queen's 15
meghie
#17 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 12:12:01 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 22
[quote=juls]does anyone have any idea about the newest mcgill res, opening in the fall? specifically people who go to mcgill now and have heard rumors etc http://www.mcgilldaily.c...tt_for_new_new_new_rez/[/quote]


My friends and I all have our doubts that it will be open for Fall 2011. They still aren't finished renovating it, and if it's not on the residence survey it probably won't be open! It is on Sherbrooke street though, across from carrefour sherbrooke.
| McGill Chemical Engineering 2014 |
meghie
#18 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 12:19:28 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 22
francoisceg wrote:
Okay guys, I have another question for you considering that you answered perfectly before :)
I'm an international student (I'm french but i lived a year in Washington DC so my english is quite good), I'm gonna be in the engineering department with a minor scholarship. Now I have to pick the residence where I'll be living next year, and it's getting really complicated... OK let me explain. I'm hesitating between Douglas and RVC because:
- I'm really into sports so I think that living at Douglas would be a good thing considering its proximity with the stadium, and RVC is pretty far from it.
- I'd prefer a single room, because i need some independence and privacy but on the other hand, I'd like to be involved in the social life of Mcgill (not being the nerd that stays in his room with his computer all day long if you know what I mean) and I like to party quite a bit.
- I think I wouldn't mind to climb a hill every day, but I guess i can't know right now. Damn guys, that's hell of a weather apparently!


WOW! Long post lol.. I didn't want to quote all of it as to save space....okay here's my answer :) ...

-Douglas is SO close to the gym! I live in RVC and I find it is such a hassle to walk up the hill to go to the gym. If I were in Douglas I would definitely go to the gym much much more often
-Douglas is made of mostly single rooms, there are (I believe) 4 to 6 bedrooms per common room (living room). One of my best friends lives in Douglas and she said there is an AMAZING sense of community there!! I think they probably have the best sense of community because of the size and the amount of common rooms they have
-RVC only has the lobby area, aerobics room, TV room (ONLY ONE, I know the website says we have two), and a study room. I wish we had more common rooms!!!
-Douglas knows how to party! They have a "Den" which used to be a bar and my friend that lives there says they often pre-drink there, everyone usually goes out together after
-The hill isn't all that bad, you get used to it. I have a ton of friends that live in upper rez. they say the hill is a hassle sometimes but it isn't all that bad. I climb the hill often as well to visit friends in upper rez. The hill isn't very steep and in the winter it is salted very well.
| McGill Chemical Engineering 2014 |
meghie
#19 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 12:21:07 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 22
youstoppedmakingsense wrote:
I'm just a bit concerned about the bathroom situation....
Which halls have single-sex/co-ed/suite-style/communal bathrooms? Do we have to clean the bathrooms ourselves?


Co-ed bathrooms : Molson, Gardner, Douglas

Single Sex: RVC (it is single sex by floor), McConnell (single sex by wing)

Hotel style: Carrefour, New Rez ... you share with either one other person or have it to yourself if you have a single room

Greenbriar and Solin are apartment style.

You only clean it yourself if you live in greenbriar or solin.
| McGill Chemical Engineering 2014 |
meghie
#20 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 12:29:23 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 22
francoisceg wrote:

I've made some researches about those residences, and I've seen a lot that Douglas was especially wanted by the scholarships winners. Do you have any idea why? Is it a tradition or is it because it's an excellent residence? And I've also seen that the ambiance was a little bit freaky, even "harry potteresque" (I don't know if it's an English term) and that even if there is a real sense of community, it was THE Douglas community. Does that mean we're kinda excluded from the other people and residences? I've seen also that the bathrooms were Co-ed. I'm not sure to understand, does it mean that girls and guys share the same bathrooms?
Then, about RVC, I've seen that the recent changes that have been made make any belief hard to trust, even though some things stay the same: It's a residence very close to the campus, very connected with the faculty of arts and music (I'm not much of an artistic person), but it's still quite far from the other residences of McGill. Once again, are they kinda excluded? I heard also that the cafeteria was now awesome, but even if we're living in Douglas, as long as we have a meal plan we can eat wherever we want right? So that's not a really big deal, is it?


I'm also in engineering :)

-yes Douglas is primarily scholarship winners! I know quite a few people that weren't scholarship winners and had it as their first choice and got in. There is no harm in trying :)
- I would love to be in Douglas, the sense of community and beautiful architecture are amazing. The number of common rooms is also awesome, as RVC has few common rooms.
- lol... yes the dining hall is like in harry potter, very cool! Not open for lunch or on weekends thoughhh, but you can go to BMH
- you are right beside the three other Upper rez's, so you're not excluded
- yes the girls and guys share a common bathroom / shower, it may be weird at first but everyone gets used to it. the showers have doors and locks
- not many people at rvc are musicians so don't worry if you aren't very artistic, I'm not either
- it is SO close to campus! I love how I can wake up at 8:20 for my 8:30 class :) .... VERY close to the engineering buildings!
- nooo rvc is not excluded at all, even though we aren't directly beside other residences, people from other rezs are always in our caf, upper rez is only a 7 minute walk away
- the caf is awesome... well, now that the end of the year is nearing I am kind of sick of caf food. but out of all the cafs it is the best
- you can eat at any rez cafs, correct

SORRY I didn't use complete sentences... I'm lazy and should be heading to bed soon... I have calc at 8:30 -_-
| McGill Chemical Engineering 2014 |
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.