Browse Our Top Categories

McGill? Options ▼
Ranta
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:39:40 AM

I've just been accepted to McGill and am thinking about going, but I have a quick question before making my decision. I know that McGill is pretty commonly thought of as a party university, and have heard loads of rumors about people drinking/doing drugs pretty much constantly. However (at the risk of sounding like a total dork :P), I'm not really a big partier, and I guess I like things to be a bit more low-key. Will I feel totally out of place at McGill, or are there lots of other people like me?

Also: how crazy is frosh? What kinds of activities are there?
Zion
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:39:02 PM

I've decided against McGill because it does seem like too much of a party school for me.

Anywhere you go there are going to be parties and there are going to be people who don't like to party, of course. But from what I hear from friends, it can be difficult to find those people. And frosh is basically just an excuse to get hammered.
Queen's 15
clairec21
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:53:27 PM

It's a party school because the drinking is 18, so I assume quite a bit of the partying is done in clubs/bars.I'm sure you'll be able to find people who don't want to go out all the time. Just live on a quiet floor in rez and I'm sure you'll be ok.

Zion wrote:
I've decided against McGill because it does seem like too much of a party school for me.

But Queen's is your first choice? It's also quite a party school.
Accepted to:
1. U of T Vic- International Relations & Vic One (Pearson stream)
2. McGill-Arts
3. Queen's-Arts
4. Carleton-Global Politics
5. Ottawa- International Development
University of Toronto Class of '15- Victoria College
& Vic One Pearson Stream

jessiexo
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 3:52:26 PM

If your personable you can find friends anywhere. McGill's an amazing school, don't let things like that put you off. The city is amazing and there is so much to do :)
McGill: BSc Biol, Biomed & Life Sci
purpledog
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:06:24 PM

I'm planning on going to McGill! I like to party occasionally but not every weekend. So you won't be the only one. :)
theyoungweatherman
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:01:47 PM

Being a studious person at a predominantly Asian Highschool, I'm expecting quite the culture shock once I get to McGill. So yeah, you are definitely not alone. :P
Gorges26
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:04:50 PM

It's not wise to choose or not choose a school based on its party reputation. Seriously, it's not hard to meet people like yourself wherever you go.

The school's location, program, $$ you'll be paying, etc, should be what counts when deciding.
meghie
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:29:52 AM

Hi guys!!!

I am currently in my first year at McGill... I'd just like to clear a couple things up for you :)

McGill may be known as a "party school" but seriously, it isn't. No matter what the school's reputation is, it is you who decides what you are going to spend you time doing! I came here thinking there were going to be so many WILD and CRAZY parties, but there weren't. If you want to go to a wild, crazy, party, you can find one if you look. But there are SO MANY students here who abstain from drinking and partying! I live in residence and it is quiet and peaceful, a place I like to call my home. There isn't music pumping til the wee hours of the morning (even on the weekend). Everyone who is at McGill is SMART and we have to work our butts off to stay here and get good grades!

The residence councils like to plan events that all the students want to attend. There are parties involving alcohol, and other events for people who don't enjoy drinking. And for drugs, yeah some people smoke weed but it is not made into a big deal here. I have never heard of anyone's drinks being "roofied". When you are living in a city like Montreal, there are bound to be some hardcore drugs. I've never been involved with those and I don't know more than a couple people who have tried it. It isn't the school that is a party school, it is Montreal that is the party city.

I just don't want people not picking the school because of the party rep it has! It is an excellent school and there is something for EVERYONE in Montreal!

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

Meghie
| McGill Chemical Engineering 2014 |
Emaad13
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:16:00 PM

If you have been acccepted to McGill, my advice is GO TO MCGILL!
It is a great school in a very nice city, Montreal.
There are things to do there for all kinds of students, whether you are a party animal, or a studious keener! Don't waste this opportunity, in my opinion!
University of Western Ontario - Class of 2015 (Political Science)
BritishDrinker94
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:22:43 AM

I'm from a big boys-only school outside London, England where there is a HUGE party reputation - drinking every weekend. However, having been accepted into McGill and read posts similar to these about activities at McGill - social drinking, parties, etc. - I am rather disappointed with the answers provided. Contrasting to some of those who have posted about being worried about the university's reputation and students partying "all night long", I fear that this university may not be comparable to those in the UK and the USA. Please do give me a response - and ignore my glancing opinions about how Canadians spend their free time (I am one, just living in London!) - about students' social lives. Many Thanks.
thereallockerfish
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:08:19 PM

BritishDrinker94 wrote:
I'm from a big boys-only school outside London, England where there is a HUGE party reputation - drinking every weekend. However, having been accepted into McGill and read posts similar to these about activities at McGill - social drinking, parties, etc. - I am rather disappointed with the answers provided. Contrasting to some of those who have posted about being worried about the university's reputation and students partying "all night long", I fear that this university may not be comparable to those in the UK and the USA. Please do give me a response - and ignore my glancing opinions about how Canadians spend their free time (I am one, just living in London!) - about students' social lives. Many Thanks.

So if i've got this right, you're worried about McGill not being ENOUGH of a party school for you? Ok so here's the deal. Unlike smaller schools in Canada with party reputations, McGill does not shove it down your throat. I will always stress that it is very easy to ignore all of the partying if you want.

That being said - if you're into the wild and crazy drink your face off kind of scene, the Montreal bars and clubs will keep you going every night of the week (Tokyo Sunday, Sucka Free Monday, Beer Pong Tuesday... you get the picture). Certain residences (esp. Molson, but also McConnell, Gardner and to an extent New Rez) are both known and feared for their wild partying reputations. Watch out for week-long events such as Frosh, Hype week and Carnival (ever had to do a four-person relay up a mountain while collectively chugging 24 beer with some extra shots thrown in? there's your chance) definitely not for the faint of heart. Montreal also has some of the best St. Paddy's Day celebrations in Canada.

Like I said, if you want to avoid it, you can. If you go out and seek it.... get ready.
Conversation Jump