Browse Our Top Categories

U of T Kin? Options ▼
theeleddaa
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:15:23 PM

Just from searching around, I've been getting a ton of mixed signals about of U of T's kin program. I've already been accepted into it and I was wondering if anyone had any input, good or bad, regarding the program.
theeleddaa
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:59:01 PM

Oh, I've also got an offer from York Kin as well and people tend to have high praise for it and place it above U of T's kin program. Why is that?
UCtechnique
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:20:43 PM

Stay away from U of T Kine if you are looking into medical school as an option. I have a friend in the program and she was unable to take a single medical school prerequisite this year (her first year)... and she wants to go to medical school. The program is very inflexible and is just not built for those who need to take medical school prerequisites- it is more built for things like physiotherapy and teaching. Additionally, you should consider that if you're going to take medical school prerequisites (Chem, Bio, Calc, Physics, etc.) you will be taking them with the kids in Life Science. Alarm bells should be sounding at this point.

With York, they have a well-established program where you will be able to achieve high marks if you work hard, and you will learn something as well.

Just a word of warning- if you do poorly in your Kinesiology undergraduate you will have difficulty getting a job that pays good money. I know far too many people that went into Kine, dicked around (excuse my language), and wound up as a personal trainer barely scraping out a living. Then again, that can be said for pretty much any undergraduate degree.

Good luck!
JChan
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:13:48 PM

aren't the requirements for med school: 2 life sci full credit courses, 1 humanities/art/language? - not really banking on med school so I'm not certain. I believe anatomy and psyche will fulfill the life sci credits.

Personally I think I want to head to law school after my undergrad but PT is my backup - I've heard that PT schools like Toronto kin. students.

btw is anyone else terrified of not getting into med school/grad school/law school - what options do you have if you don't get in?
hender11
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:42:14 PM

UCtechnique wrote:
Stay away from U of T Kine if you are looking into medical school as an option. I have a friend in the program and she was unable to take a single medical school prerequisite this year (her first year)... and she wants to go to medical school. The program is very inflexible and is just not built for those who need to take medical school prerequisites- it is more built for things like physiotherapy and teaching. Additionally, you should consider that if you're going to take medical school prerequisites (Chem, Bio, Calc, Physics, etc.) you will be taking them with the kids in Life Science. Alarm bells should be sounding at this point.

With York, they have a well-established program where you will be able to achieve high marks if you work hard, and you will learn something as well.

Just a word of warning- if you do poorly in your Kinesiology undergraduate you will have difficulty getting a job that pays good money. I know far too many people that went into Kine, dicked around (excuse my language), and wound up as a personal trainer barely scraping out a living. Then again, that can be said for pretty much any undergraduate degree.

Good luck!

4th year Toronto Kin student here. In a nutshell, 1) the quality of education is very good, 2) yes, it is hard work if you want to do well, 3) no, it's not impossible to get into med school, 4) if you are going to screw around while you are here, yes, you will do bad and not be able to go anywhere; however, I hardly think that's enough grounds to say that the program is not as valuable as the one offered by York. I was accepted to York as well...I still get emails from them asking me to "reconsider finishing my education at York" because their numbers have been down since the infamous strike.

Toronto only began offering a separate kin degree two years ago because it realized people were not coming here because they wanted a BKIN and not a BPHE (the program was always certified in kin). Generally speaking, I believe York is more science-based, whereas Toronto offers a more holistic degree. I do know students who have successfully gone into PT, OT, and medical school from the Toronto program. As for the negatives, 1) as a part of FPEH and not Arts & Science, it's true that you will have last pick for electives (also, you are only allowed 2 100-level electives to count towards your degree) and 2) if you want to do well in the program, you have to work VERY hard. It's not impossible to get into prerequisites - many of my peers have not had a problem getting into bio, chem and physics and even I have been able to complete an Arts & Science minor with my electives. I believe that some of the kin courses do count as prerequisites for med school if that interests you.

"With York, they have a well-established program where you will be able to achieve high marks if you work hard, and you will learn something as well". I'm not sure what you are implying here...that it's easy to do well at York or that you don't learn anything at Toronto. I think the quality of education at Toronto is top notch but I do need to reiterate that it is a lot of work if you want to do well - knowing people in York's program, I am fairly certain the standards are lower and that it is easier to do well there. This may be a strategic move though if you want to get into grad school...

@JChan, being in fourth year, I am pretty terrified about not getting into grad school :S As for options, I'd assume you are pretty much in the same boat as anyone else with a general undergrad degree: go back to school to improve your marks and try again, or try and find a job in the meantime...
Uncotran
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:39:57 PM

theeleddaa wrote:
Just from searching around, I've been getting a ton of mixed signals about of U of T's kin program. I've already been accepted into it and I was wondering if anyone had any input, good or bad, regarding the program.

Having done extensive research the past few months + gone to open houses for U of T, York and Waterloo, this is what I've found:

IMHO. U of T is not very science based so it will be tougher to get into med school. They require you to take classes that are pretty much a step up from highschool gym class: classes you could've spent doing science based courses. They claim that these "gym" classes allow you to apply your knowledge to classes; pretty much a replacement for lack of labs. (I did not see any real labs in progress at the UofT openhouse, whereas I saw very impressive labs in UW and York).

Basically what I've been told is that, UofT is best if you want to be a gym teacher or pursue a career that involves Physical Education, NOT Kinesiology.
UofT also offers optional "placements" in 3rd and 4th years where you given a job in a field you choose and apply for. (Im not exactly sure how to explain this, but its essentially like unpaid co-op). It takes up the entire year and counts as a credit.

Waterloo on the other hand, offers paid-co-op which alternates between school every four months after first year. Since there are many semesters and co-op placements, you get to test out far more jobs and work settings compared to only 2 at UofT. Do note that UW's program takes 5 years vs UofT's 4 years.

York is very well known for kin. They claim to have the best program in Canada. I went to their open house and they do have many impressive labs as well as profs. I think York is much more science based compared to UofT although they also have those "gym" classes. I do however, find that the commute to York is very tedious...
Waterloo Kinesiology Honours Co-op - Class of 2016
Conversation Jump