Browse Our Top Categories

UBC sauder vs. Dalhousie Commerce Options ▼
carolinemacmillan
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:19:53 PM

I am from Ontario and got accepted into UBC Sauder last week :) I have been to Vancouver once and love the city and the distance isn't that big of a concern. My concerns for UBC is the fact that it is a large and competitive school and I am worried it ill be hard to maintain a decent average. I am interested in participating in the Go Global and co-op program but I am not sure how competitive they are to get accepted in to. With Dal co-op is mandatory where as UBC is not. I am wondering what are the pro's and con's of each school and where I should go?!
Has anyone else been accepted to Sauder yet??
Thanks!
UBC Sauder (Accepted)
Dalhousie Commerce with co-op (Accepted)
Laurier BBA (Accepted)
Western BMOS (Accepted)
Guelph Real Estate and Housing (Accepted)
Razear
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:45:35 PM

No brainer...unless you want to go to a Last Chance U, go to UBC. You didn't work hard to end up at a community college.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
gassergasser
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:37:28 PM

I'd even suggest Laurier or Western over Dalhousie. I know people with averages in the 70s that got into Dal for business. Halifax is a nice city but I hear finding good co-op jobs in the city center is hard. Dal also has some of the highest tuition rates in the country, I have no idea why. Vancouver is a very pricey city as well, but Sauder does have the recognition for being an excellent program.

Personally I'd find it a wasted opportunity to not go to Sauder, but it is your life so make sure you go where you think you'll be happy.
Applied
Accepted
DENIED

University of Mississippi - Accounting
University of Toronto - Rotman Commerce @Chestnut
University of Waterloo - Math/CA[Alternate]BMath Co-op
University of Waterloo - Biotech/Economics

Attending(Fall 2013): Ole Miss (University of Mississippi)

carolinemacmillan
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:12:18 PM

gassergasser wrote:
I'd even suggest Laurier or Western over Dalhousie. I know people with averages in the 70s that got into Dal for business. Halifax is a nice city but I hear finding good co-op jobs in the city center is hard. Dal also has some of the highest tuition rates in the country, I have no idea why. Vancouver is a very pricey city as well, but Sauder does have the recognition for being an excellent program.

Personally I'd find it a wasted opportunity to not go to Sauder, but it is your life so make sure you go where you think you'll be happy.

Good point. Western would have been in my top 2 if I hadn't missed the AEO deadline and I don't really see what use a BMOS will be when I can get a bcomm. I know Laurier has a good program but I don't really want to live in Waterloo. I'm pretty much set on UBC but my parents want me to check out Dal and think it would be good..
I'm only worried for the strong competition at UBC and how that will affect my grades.
UBC Sauder (Accepted)
Dalhousie Commerce with co-op (Accepted)
Laurier BBA (Accepted)
Western BMOS (Accepted)
Guelph Real Estate and Housing (Accepted)
jpoon24
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:29:04 PM

From what I've heard, Sauder isn't extremely challenging and they're not graded on a curve so how well your classmates do won't affect your marks. They say the hardest part is getting in so I wouldn't worry about it :)
McGill - Desautels School of Management - Accepted
Queen's - School of Commerce
SFU - Beedie School of Business
UBC - Sauder School of Business - Accepted
Waterloo - Mathematics/FA+RM Honours & Co-op - Accepted

Conversation Jump