Browse Our Top Categories

What would be the best university in Canada to study Robotics? Options ▼
DNAV
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:28:26 PM

I’ve been interested in robotics since childhood. I’d love to someday be able to work on projects like the Honda Asimo robot or the HAL exoskeleton.

I know that i have to study a some general engineering to get my undergraduate degree in Engineering first. And then I can get into Robotics program during graduate study. My teacher told me that only UofT and BCIT offer graduate program in robotics.I dont know if thats true.

Where would the best place to study in Canada be for me now?(undergraduate degree)

Also, would it better to pursue computer engineering, electrical engineering, or Mechanical engineering?

The schools which have already accepted me can be seen below.
Accepted:
UBC - Applied Science
UA - Applied Science
McGill - Electrical Engineering
UW - Computer Science co-op
McMaster - Engineering I
Queens - General Engineering
UT - Engineering Track One
plato
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:15:51 PM

DNAV wrote:

Also, would it better to pursue computer engineering, electrical engineering, or Mechanical engineering?

All of the above. The discipline is know as mechatronics, since robotics is an interdisciplinary field. The mechatronics program at waterloo stands out as being a good fit, but of the schools listed in your accepted list, I would recommend UT T1, or UBC. UT T1 consists of the same courses as ECE, which is where you want to transfer into after year one.

In terms of best graduate schools for robotics and ECE in general: MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, and University of Tokyo.
University of Waterloo
Computer Engineering

simplyArnob
#3 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 6:32:19 AM

I have exactly the same interest as DNAV.
I also have a die hard interest on Robotics.
The only thing that we differ in is that I am almost over with my Bachelors Degreee in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Taking this degree cuz of not having strong facility in Mechatronics available in my country. I wonder whether I can still be able to fulfil my dream or not?
What can be my subject in Masters if I want to reach my goal?

Thanks to whoever replies me :)
ktel
#4 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 9:43:40 AM

Doesn't Waterloo have mechatronics?
Dorward
#5 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 5:33:56 PM

DNAV wrote:
I’ve been interested in robotics since childhood. I’d love to someday be able to work on projects like the Honda Asimo robot or the HAL exoskeleton.

I know that i have to study a some general engineering to get my undergraduate degree in Engineering first. And then I can get into Robotics program during graduate study. My teacher told me that only UofT and BCIT offer graduate program in robotics.I dont know if thats true.

Where would the best place to study in Canada be for me now?(undergraduate degree)

The schools which have already accepted me can be seen below.

Out of the schools you applied for, U of T is definitely your best bet. That is followed by Waterloo, then UBC.
For a good summary of what you're looking for, check this article out.

http://youniversityhub.com/best-engineering-schools-in-canada/
Conversation Jump