Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
Does the IB program really help wih admissions? Options ▼
bluebeach23
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:02:20 PM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
Hello there,

Does the IB program really help with admissions vs. having a high average in French Immersion?

Reason I'm asking this is because I live in Canada and from my perpective my French will help me through-out my career as compared to IB which only helps in Undergrad. I have turned down the IB offer...I really hope my decision is right.

So, will French Immersion help in Admissions at all? and what type of grades do I need to go to McGill and to U of T for Life/Health sciences?

I'm still in grade 10...so please do give me all the advide you have....to help me do my best....I don't want " you don't have an IB diploma, that's why you didn't get in" answer after two years.

Please advide and answer!!!
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
jessiexo
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:05:02 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 2/13/2011
Posts: 191
bluebeach23 wrote:
Hello there,

Does the IB program really help with admissions vs. having a high average in French Immersion?

Reason I'm asking this is because I live in Canada and from my perpective my French will help me through-out my career as compared to IB which only helps in Undergrad. I have turned down the IB offer...I really hope my decision is right.

So, will French Immersion help in Admissions at all? and what type of grades do I need to go to McGill and to U of T for Life/Health sciences?

I'm still in grade 10...so please do give me all the advide you have....to help me do my best....I don't want " you don't have an IB diploma, that's why you didn't get in" answer after two years.

Please advide and answer!!!


Yes it does. Universities don't put it out openly but it is certainly true. I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%). No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.

Maybe not every university but McGill is certainly known for its love affair with IB. The style of learning is also very similar to university and will prepare you very well.
McGill: BSc Biol, Biomed & Life Sci
inthemaking
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:57:48 PM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 12/13/2010
Posts: 1,170
I graduated from IB, and in my experience, it does but not as much as people claim.

If you're an Ontario resident and applying to Ontario universities, the translated marks will give your admission average a boost (eg. I got 100% in gr 12 biology because I received a 7 in IB bio and that translated to 96-100%).
McMaster Bachelor of Health Sciences 2011
U of Guelph-OVC Doctor of Veterinary Medicine 2015
Alwaysvip
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:41:32 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/15/2010
Posts: 4
^which high school did you go to?
McMaster Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) 2015
NerdmobileDriver
#5 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 12:14:41 AM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 12/29/2010
Posts: 84
jessiexo wrote:
I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%). No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.

That may have happened at your school, but I got into commerce on March 1 with a 94 average (academic). Granted, science may be a bit different (although, the cut-off for life sci is only .5 higher...), but I don't think not being IB translates to not having a shot at early admission.

OP: I think you should stick with french immersion because if you're average is high enough, it won't matter if you're IB or not. I don't think french immersion will particularly help you with admissions either, but it's definitely a huge plus for you (in life) if you speak french as it never hurts to know another language.
McGill Desautels 2015
andrewk512
#6 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 1:05:51 AM
Rank: Student Council




Joined: 1/4/2011
Posts: 355
Quote:
Yes it does. Universities don't put it out openly but it is certainly true. I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%). No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.

I disagree. Anyone with those types of averages will get accepted to McGill early, IB or not. All my 90%+ non-IB friends have been given early admission.
McMaster Medicine 2017
McMaster Bachelor of Health Science 2014
I do not visit this forum regularly enough to answer PMs anymore, sorry.
moodeline
#7 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 2:15:36 AM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 121
Well, I have plenty of opinions about this, I think taking IB is the best decision I have ever made. My best friend is in French immersion, so bluebeach23 if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

And McGill is the LEAST friendly IB school in the country, they do not consider your predicteds, they instead look at your school percentage grades and view for example IB History 12 as the same as History 12, and a 90 in IBH12 as equal to a 90 in H12.
University of Toronto: Trinity College Class of 2015
inthemaking
#8 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 8:49:15 AM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 12/13/2010
Posts: 1,170
Alwaysvip wrote:
^which high school did you go to?


St Robert CHS
McMaster Bachelor of Health Sciences 2011
U of Guelph-OVC Doctor of Veterinary Medicine 2015
bluebeach23
#9 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 5:00:18 PM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
NerdmobileDriver wrote:
jessiexo wrote:
I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%). No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.

That may have happened at your school, but I got into commerce on March 1 with a 94 average (academic). Granted, science may be a bit different (although, the cut-off for life sci is only .5 higher...), but I don't think not being IB translates to not having a shot at early admission.

OP: I think you should stick with french immersion because if you're average is high enough, it won't matter if you're IB or not. I don't think french immersion will particularly help you with admissions either, but it's definitely a huge plus for you (in life) if you speak french as it never hurts to know another language.



thank you, thats a good answer...
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
bluebeach23
#10 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 5:19:18 PM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
Thank you all for your wonderful answers:)

Can you all give me some advice for the last two years of HS....any advice you can think of...and did any of you go to Turner Fenton?? ( in Brampton)

Thx and Congrats to who got accepted :)
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
machoTS
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:04:58 AM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
Just like AP and A-Level (British system), IB only gives you an advantage if you do well. Having the IB moniker on all your courses is worthless if your average isn't high.

But certainly, someone with 40+ IB points has a significant advantage over someone with a 95 avg in regular provincial courses.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
Bikiro
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:09:34 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 3/21/2011
Posts: 6
Advice: Get off these forums and chill out. Enjoy your remaining highschool days and its freedom. University consists of hard work and high rates of failure. My undergraduate program (science) will have a 30% drop out in first year.
bluebeach23
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:17:37 AM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
Bikiro wrote:
Advice: Get off these forums and chill out. Enjoy your remaining highschool days and its freedom. University consists of hard work and high rates of failure. My undergraduate program (science) will have a 30% drop out in first year.


30% drpout???? thats crazy...well thx for the advice...but I'd rather work hard cause the competition for U of T and Mcgill sciences are beyond measures :(
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
unibro15
#14 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 7:39:59 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 3/25/2011
Posts: 3
I know people that had an 85% percentage average in IB, applied to programs where the recommended average was high 80s and got early acceptances in the starting of Feb, so yes it does help.
Applied
UW, Mathematics Co-Op
UW, Mathematics and B.A Co-Op
UW, Financial Analysis and Risk Management Co-Op

UWO, Science (ActSci)

Accepted
York, Mathematics for Commerce
York, Computational Math
York, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

Ryerson, Mathematics and Its Applications
McMaster, Earth and Environmental Sciences
McMaster, Mathematics and Statistics

UTSG, Physical and Mathematical Sciences
Jack555
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:20:14 PM
Rank: Student Council




Joined: 2/21/2011
Posts: 454
unibro15 wrote:
I know people that had an 85% percentage average in IB, applied to programs where the recommended average was high 80s and got early acceptances in the starting of Feb, so yes it does help.



You do realize that if they werent in IB they couldve gotten high 80s if not 90s?
Schulich BBA 2015
viramay
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:11:42 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 3/31/2011
Posts: 35
As an IB student, I don't think IB actually helps very much if you're applying to Canadian universities, especially Ontario ones.

However, IB does certainly help if you're applying to US/UK unis.
Konn2011
#17 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 12:35:18 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 2/22/2011
Posts: 61
viramay wrote:
As an IB student, I don't think IB actually helps very much if you're applying to Canadian universities, especially Ontario ones.

However, IB does certainly help if you're applying to US/UK unis.

As machoTS said, IB only gives you an advantage if you do well, especially if you are in an Ontario IB school. That's because they agreed on some ridiculous translation scheme between IB grades and Ont marks. I say ridiculous because it's favourable to IB students. For example, the top IB grade is 7, which you can get if your final IB mark is at least 85% (varies by subjects). Now, the scheme would then translate the 7 to an Ont mark of at least 96%. (Your teacher will then determine the final mark, between 96 and 100, to give you). The ridiculous part comes in if your Ont mark is say 86%, but you get an IB grade 7. Overnight, your new Ontario mark will be bumped up to at least 96%. Fair? No. How do I know? It happened to me cheers In that sense, it DOES help with your uni apps, simply because your avg is now waaaay up.

As for US uni's, they absolutely don't care about IB. Your SAT scores, class rank, and ECs are the only things that matter. IB does help a little bit because it is counted, alongside AP's, as a challenging high school program.

To the OP, make sure you're disciplined and comfortable with working looong hours. The EE (extended essay) bascially wrecked my summer. Also, if you think you need three sci or arts subjects, then make sure you take one of them during summers. Using physics as an example, you will need to take gr 11 phys in your gr 10 summer, and gr 12 in your gr 11 summer.
ghana1994
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:44:39 AM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 4/25/2011
Posts: 28
French immersion is a good idea!
Unlike US universities, Canadian universities are not biased to international IB students.
Applied to: McGill (Earth and Planetary Sciences), U of T SG New College (Geology), UBC (Geological Sciences), U of Alberta (Geology), U of Calgary (Geology), UWO (Geophysics) and Queen's (Geological Science). Accepted into all. :D
Going to McGill.
SUMmer123456
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:41:28 AM
Rank: Valedictorian


Joined: 4/27/2011
Posts: 539
Yeah, it does. One of my friends failed all his IB exams, but he still got into Harvard because of his copious amounts of IB-ness.
excitedloon
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:21:50 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 12/28/2010
Posts: 34
For Canadian schools, IB does not give you a huge advantage in my opinion. I am a French Immersion student in Grade 12 and received admission into McGill's bio/life sciences, commerce, and engineering the very first day they started offering early admission back in early February. Also, I've gotten in to every school I've applied to and I'm not IB; I'm a French Immersion student.

Any other questions? Let me know or PM me :)
---
2011 Loran Scholar
UBC MES Recipient

UBC Engineering
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.