Browse Our Top Categories

PLEASE HELP. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. :( Options ▼
SerenaMoyashi
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:12:17 PM

Hi guys~

I am in grade 12 and have absolutely, positively no clue what career I may want. Therefore, I decided that maybe humanities or social sciences may be the pathway to go, while I figure things out.

After research online, a bunch of people are saying that the humanities and social science degrees are useless (unless you get a major). Now I'm kind of freaking out. I really want a good, stable job (even though I have no clue what I want to do yet) and I'm worried that if I go into either of these programs I'll leave being just as confused, with debt and considered useless.

What should I do? Should I stay back another year taking all business courses, and then try to go into that field? Or should I go into uni and finish the degree so that I have something then do another degree?

Please let me know, I have to decide by June! :(
Applied for:
McMaster Nursing: Decision Pending
Ryerson Nursing (Main site): Accepted
Queen's Nursing: Decision Pending
Western Nursing (main site): Accepted
Brock Nursing (Main site) : Accepted
siekat
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:54:57 PM

Hey Beansprout (moyashi lol), what programs have you applied to?

Meh, I think you should think more about what you want to "get" out of you degree and why you want to go into those fields before investing thousands of dough into university.

You may have to do further graduate schooling whether it be via grad college certificates, working (e.g. manufacturing) or uni grad school. Just plan ahead on how you're gonna prepare yourself.

'Cause if you think about what a degree is, its essentially a piece of paper that states that you've passed the academic requirements of that institution...nothing more.

Check out sites like indeed.ca to check out related jobs that may be of interest to you and see what degree requirements and skills (often that you can build outside of school) required for those fields.

You don't need to take business courses in high school to enter a business program; just need the requirements; Advanced Functions and/or Calculus/Data Management.
SerenaMoyashi
#3 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 11:19:14 AM

Thank you so much for replying~

Out of these programs, which would you recommend? You seem to know a lot about the arts.

1) Waterloo- Arts & Business Co-op

2) U of T- Arts & Science program

3) McMaster- Social Sciences

Also, do you know if it would be possible for me to switch into business if I wanted too? I heard that you need math. I have Advanced Functions but not Calculus. Is that an issue?

Any info you can give me would be helpful.

P.S: Learned the term moyashi from the Anime/manga D.Gray Man
Applied for:
siekat
#4 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 7:04:11 PM

UofT is best known for the Arts/prestige, but I'd say there's not much of a difference between the programs at the undergrad level. What major(s)/fields are you interested in?

I'm deciding between Waterloo ARBUS co-op or GBDA. While ARBUS may not be in depth as other business programs, it does set a small foundation for business acumen on your degree and the focus on giving you those "soft skills" for business via group work and such. As with co-op, YMMV. Some jobs may not be related to your major, but I guess a lot of skills can be picked up on the job. I am specifically interested in UX/UI design, policy or marketing-type jobs lol. But if not, I'll prolly work a decent-paying auto manufacturing job. or become a poker master, pffft.

Its kinda late to switch/apply to any business programs now, and I don't know how transferring programs works when you're already in university. Most good BBA/BComm programs require two maths, so you'd need to take either Calculus or Data Management to be eligible.

I totally got the moyashi reference 'cause I happen to be a D.Gray-man fan. Kanda's one of my faves xD "That damn bean sprout." *koff* I also ship Yullen/AreKan *koff*.
SerenaMoyashi
#5 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 8:34:55 PM

Thank you for all of your help.

I've decided that since I have no clue what I want to do, I may deffer for a year. Then I can take a few other classes and decide what I want to do.

I love Allen as a character. And he and Kanda are so funny together! Are you up to date in D.Gray man?
Applied for:
siekat
#6 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 9:10:10 PM

You're welcome :P
If you need to take a year off to decide what you want to do, that's totally cool and will be beneficial for you.

I love Allen too; he's so sweet and kind, yet grows up to be so badass xD Allen and Kanda's arguments are soo funny and entertaining xD "I'm Allen, NOT a beansprout, BAKANDA!"
I am up to date! Kinda sad that a new chapter hasn't been released for months due to Hoshino's illness :( But its getting sooo good and suspenseful, I want to know what happened between Mana and Nea and the Earl! And will Timcanpy survive >.>
SerenaMoyashi
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:55:19 AM

Omg, yay! I am up to date in D.Gray man too. I completely agree with you about Allen! If you look at what he looked like at the beginning to where the series is now, you can see he has hit puberty. compress

And Kanda...Oh man he's become so good looking. And he and Allen are together now again. Yay!
Applied for:
nutritionrunner
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:06:24 PM

I'd okay if you don't know what you want to do yet. Lots of people don't. Plenty of students end up switching majors or even programs once they've completed a semester or a year of university (or even more!)

I would suggest Waterloo or McMaster (out of the programs you've listed) and explore different options and courses during your first year. Are there any particular subjects that really interest you? Anything you are passionate about?

Often securing a job after graduation isn't about what you studied (except in particular fields, like engineering or food science), but more about the experience you acquire and the connections you make.

However, if you want to take a year off to explore interests outside of school, that's good too. That's another way to try to figure out exactly what you want to do.

Good luck.
University of Guelph - Applied Human Nutrition 2014 - Scholarship Recipient - Convocation Award Winner
Have questions? Check out these links: AMA: University of Guelph, Why People Choose Guelph
Feel free to ask me about nutrition & dietetics programs, Dietitians of Canada student memberships, or Guelph
Accepted to: Guelph MSc in Applied Human Nutrition, Guelph MAN, UofToronto MPH in Community Nutrition
Attending: UofToronto MPH in Community Nutrition 2014-2016 - Scholarship for Top-Ranked Incoming Students
siekat
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:21:30 PM

nutritionrunner wrote:
I'd okay if you don't know what you want to do yet. Lots of people don't. Plenty of students end up switching majors or even programs once they've completed a semester or a year of university (or even more!)

I would suggest Waterloo or McMaster (out of the programs you've listed) and explore different options and courses during your first year. Are there any particular subjects that really interest you? Anything you are passionate about?

Often securing a job after graduation isn't about what you studied (except in particular fields, like engineering or food science), but more about the experience you acquire and the connections you make.

However, if you want to take a year off to explore interests outside of school, that's good too. That's another way to try to figure out exactly what you want to do.

Good luck.

+1
SerenaMoyashi
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:17:10 AM

Hi~

Thank you both for helping me out so much. I wanted to let you guys know what I chose to do. :) In the end, I decided to stay another year at high school as a part time student. The rest of the time I will be working. This will both help me save up more money as well as helping me get my feet under me. Thanks for all the help!

Applied for:
siekat
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:18:47 AM

thanks for the update, looks like you've made the right choice for yourself :P
best of luck, moyashi
Conversation Jump