My ranking so far is like this:

1) New rez
2) Carrefour
3) RVC
4) Solin
5) Greenbriar Double
6) McConnel
7) Douglas, Gardener, Molson, Greenbriar single, Uni Hall, Prez rez, MORE

I basically chose this ranking as i mainly cared about room sizes and bathrooms.
My last day of school finished a week ago, and i realised that i would rather have a fun rez and wouldnt mind sharing bathrooms.

so i wanna know which rezs are the most social etc...

however, my parents are very protective and religious and wouldnt allow me to go to a Co-Ed rez, where drinking and partying is very common. So i cant go to the Upper rez's.

What are my best options??
thanks
jessiexo
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:05:41 PM

My ranking's 1) New Rez 2) Carrefour 3) RVC/Douglas... So pretty similar.

My sister was in New Rez and said it was an amazing experience. Personally, I think you can have fun in ANY rez if you are personable and outgoing. There will be people who choose their residences based on so many factors that I'm sure you'll find people that fit your personality at any of them. I just went with the hotel-style ones because I can't stand the idea of sharing showers with too many people.
McGill: BSc Biol, Biomed & Life Sci
Sean1218
#3 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 6:09:15 AM

Does anyone know if most scholarship winners take new rez single rooms or how many are actually available to the rest of the students? This would be my first choice, but I'm thinking regular people don't have much of a chance.
youstoppedmakingsense
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:49:42 AM

Ugh I have a hard time deciding between Douglas and Gardner. :/ Does anyone know how's the social scene in Douglas like? I know a large portion of Dougies are scholarship winners, so I'm assuming there won't be as many parties going on there comparing to other rez(?). That's a broad assumption though and I might be completely wrong.

Sean1218 wrote:
Does anyone know if most scholarship winners take new rez single rooms or how many are actually available to the rest of the students? This would be my first choice, but I'm thinking regular people don't have much of a chance.

I believe all new rez singles are reserved for scholarship winners. So if you put New rez as your first choice you're actually requesting for a double there.
McGill Architecture 2015
Zion
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:06:19 PM

I've heard Douglas is pretty tight-knit.

Which residences have the most singles? (Which should I rank highest if I want a single?)
Queen's 15
youstoppedmakingsense
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:01:49 PM

Zion wrote:
I've heard Douglas is pretty tight-knit.

Which residences have the most singles? (Which should I rank highest if I want a single?)

The Upper Rez seem to have the most singles, considering how they don't even give you the choice of any BMH doubles. University Hall and Pres Res are all singles as well. If you are dead set on getting a single, as long as you rank all the 'singles' options above any 'doubles' you'll most likely get what you hope for. It'd seem a bit too unfortunate to be true if they gave you like, your 12th choice of residence.

But Zion, I thought you mentioned somewhere you got $3000 entrance scholarship (?). What's your type of housing offer?
McGill Architecture 2015
Zion
#7 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 12:42:21 PM

youstoppedmakingsense wrote:
The Upper Rez seem to have the most singles, considering how they don't even give you the choice of any BMH doubles. University Hall and Pres Res are all singles as well. If you are dead set on getting a single, as long as you rank all the 'singles' options above any 'doubles' you'll most likely get what you hope for. It'd seem a bit too unfortunate to be true if they gave you like, your 12th choice of residence.

But Zion, I thought you mentioned somewhere you got $3000 entrance scholarship (?). What's your type of housing offer?

Thanks. I definitely don't want to be in Upper Res though. My top choices are Douglas, RVC, and Solin.

I got a $3500 scholarship, but I'm not sure what my housing offer is like. I can't even look at the housing app until I accept their offer.
Queen's 15
youstoppedmakingsense
#8 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 9:56:31 PM

Zion wrote:
youstoppedmakingsense wrote:

Thanks. I definitely don't want to be in Upper Res though. My top choices are Douglas, RVC, and Solin.

I got a $3500 scholarship, but I'm not sure what my housing offer is like. I can't even look at the housing app until I accept their offer.

Then I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed your top choice, which is beyond awesome (I believe only major scholarship winners got their pick of residences last year, so we really got lucky this year haha).
I'm still deciding between a Douglas single or a Gardner single, although I'll most likely end up picking Douglas. The Douglas community just seems very appealing to me. cheers

Just thought this might be helpful...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/...59668_ab9d57d654_b_d.jpg
McGill Architecture 2015
youstoppedmakingsense
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:09:29 AM

Well...turns out that entrance scholarship winners are only guaranteed either one of their top 2 choices. Sorry, guys. This is slightly disappointing. Now I really wish they'll give me a single at Douglas, although I don't mind going to Gardner.
McGill Architecture 2015
Zion
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:18:10 PM

Hm, that's still pretty good though. I'll put singles for Douglas and RVC as my top choices if I do decide on McGill.
Queen's 15
halestorm29
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 4:12:57 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for residences for me? New rez is definitely at the top of my list, with apparently great food, private bathrooms, a roommate and good social activity. I'm basically looking for a residence that has a good cafeteria (or is close to one), I would preferably like a roommate, I would like a social rez as well as a good location (ie. not having to walk up the hill!)
colakid123
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 3:53:32 PM

It's not that new rez singles are reserved for scholarship winners, it's that we have first choice. Major scholarship winners have guaranteed first choice and basic also have guaranteed first or second choice. Since new rez is popular, it's hard to get one if you're not, but you can still try.

New rez (and the food at it's caf) are kinda expensive for me, so I'm still figuring out if I want it or not.
helenbaker1993
#13 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 8:13:21 PM

My boyfriend lived at Solin his first year and said it was an amazing experience. A lot of people are turned off by Solin since it's far from campus, but he said the fact that it was secluded made everyone really tight knit. Apparently every rez has a great sense of community and you get to know everyone really well and form great friendships, no matter where you are. Just depends on what kind of living style you prefer, e.g. a single with shared washrooms vs. the more independent apartment style.

My first choice is a greenbriar double, second choice solin, and haven't decided on a third. Suggestions? I want the apartment style but not quite the hotel feel of new res.
McGill Arts 2015!
youstoppedmakingsense
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:45:29 AM

helenbaker1993 wrote:
My boyfriend lived at Solin his first year and said it was an amazing experience. A lot of people are turned off by Solin since it's far from campus, but he said the fact that it was secluded made everyone really tight knit. Apparently every rez has a great sense of community and you get to know everyone really well and form great friendships, no matter where you are. Just depends on what kind of living style you prefer, e.g. a single with shared washrooms vs. the more independent apartment style.

My first choice is a greenbriar double, second choice solin, and haven't decided on a third. Suggestions? I want the apartment style but not quite the hotel feel of new res.

That's what I heard about Solin as well. And if it's really only four subway stops away from the campus, a 12-minute commute doesn't sound too bad in my opinion.

Other than Solin and Greenbriar, MORE would probably be another way to go, since it's also the apartment style kind of houses (but probably with more people per house).
McGill Architecture 2015
TooSmooth
#15 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 12:29:25 AM

So comfused on what to rank in which order!!!!
compress
Toronto Rotman Commerce Accepted
UBC Commerce Accepted
UBC Arts Accepted
Uvic Commerce Accepted
SFU Business Accepted
McGill Commerce Accepted Offer Accepted
jenyouwin
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:29:00 PM

how come carrefour sherbrooke singles aren't an option? the pricing and stuff show up on the residence information page of the mcgill rez site.

btw does anyone know if it's possible to switch a double with a single if you can find someone who is willing to? i want new rez or carrefour but i want my own room and washroom...

Applied:
✓ UBC Commerce, ✓ Engineering
✓ McGill Commerce, ✓ Arts & Sciences
✓ SFU Business
SiobhanE
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:54:55 PM

Singles at Carrefour Sherbrooke are very limited and so they're pretty much reserved for people with health issues who require a single room. At least that's what they told me when I toured there.
McGill Architecture 2015
NumberOne
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:41:10 PM

My rankings are

1) Carrefour Sherbrooke
2) New Rez
3) Douglas

Sherbrooke and New Rez are both converted hotels and are close to campus. Not to mention New Rez has an underground mall which would probably come in handy during the winter. Only downside is that it tends to be an overly-party rez.
McGill University Class of 2015 - Arts (Economics & Political Science)

Accepted to: Queen's Commerce, McGill Desautels, Western International Relations + Ivey AEO, Schulich iBBA, UOttawa Joint Honours Political Science & Economics, McMaster Business
asian123
#19 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:36:30 PM

bump. almost time to make our decisions
colakid123
#20 Posted : Monday, June 06, 2011 1:38:30 PM

I want to room with my best friend at Douglas (I have a major scholarship but she doesn't). I looked at the form and there seems no way to request it. Ideas?
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump