Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
Help! Math/CA or AFM-PA? Options ▼
g93
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:19:28 PM

Personally I think AFM-PA > Math/CA (especially if you get into the Fellowship program)
jeanettecyr
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:20:20 PM

g93 wrote:
Personally I think AFM-PA > Math/CA (especially if you get into the Fellowship program)

Could you please give me some reasons why?
University of Waterloo
Accounting and Financial Management + Fellowship Program!
Class of 2016

Applied to:
Waterloo Math/CA ~ Accepted!
Waterloo AFM-PA ~ Accepted + Fellowship Program!
Brock Honours Accounting (Co-op) ~ Accepted!
g93
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:23:19 PM

jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:

While Math/CA is still a great program, I think the Math part is a waste of time. Sure it develops a "higher-order thinking" as some people claim, but it is fairly uselss for most accounting, and focusing on the AFM courses and your ECs and co-op terms would be more beneficial, plus it would be faster.
jeanettecyr
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:26:17 PM

g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:

While Math/CA is still a great program, I think the Math part is a waste of time. Sure it develops a "higher-order thinking" as some people claim, but it is fairly uselss for most accounting, and focusing on the AFM courses and your ECs and co-op terms would be more beneficial, plus it would be faster.

Would it not look better to employers to have a BMath from Waterloo as well as the MAcc? Is the BAFM seen just has highly?
University of Waterloo
Class of 2016

Applied to:
g93
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:33:55 PM

jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:

Would it not look better to employers to have a BMath from Waterloo as well as the MAcc? Is the BAFM seen just has highly?

Slightly, but not really. As soon as you get your CA, they do not really care where you went to school or what degree(s) you have. AFM gets you there fast and easy. For most accounting jobs the BMath is pretty useless. They will make note of it I'm sure, but they will be more interested in work experience, interview skills, ECs, volunteer, etc. in most cases.
IanSharer
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:38:57 PM

g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:

Slightly, but not really. As soon as you get your CA, they do not really care where you went to school or what degree(s) you have. AFM gets you there fast and easy. For most accounting jobs the BMath is pretty useless. They will make note of it I'm sure, but they will be more interested in work experience, interview skills, ECs, volunteer, etc. in most cases.

This.

Also, when you say you love math, do you actually know what that entails? It's not the same applications driven math you're used to in high school. If you have any friends at Waterloo, take a look at their textbooks and see if you actually like the theory behind math and not just plugging in formulas and following patterns (ie. the math we've done in school thus far).
Schulich School of Business
York University
jeanettecyr
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:41:54 PM

g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:

I would have much more time for ECs if I chose AFM, wouldn't I? That would be good if employers care a lot about ECs.
University of Waterloo
Class of 2016

Applied to:
g93
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:45:15 PM

^Yes, as you wouldn't have to deal with the UW Math ^^ that IanSharer described
jeanettecyr
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:46:09 PM

IanSharer wrote:
g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:
jeanettecyr wrote:
g93 wrote:

This.

Also, when you say you love math, do you actually know what that entails? It's not the same applications driven math you're used to in high school. If you have any friends at Waterloo, take a look at their textbooks and see if you actually like the theory behind math and not just plugging in formulas and following patterns (ie. the math we've done in school thus far).

My father took math at Waterloo, as well as my current math teacher, so I have some idea. I know that it isn't like high school, but I am still interested in pursuing it.
University of Waterloo
Class of 2016

Applied to:
IanSharer
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:49:43 PM

jeanettecyr wrote:
My father took math at Waterloo, as well as my current math teacher, so I have some idea. I know that it isn't like high school, but I am still interested in pursuing it.

That's good. I was just saying because I know a lot of people who "love" math (ie. the keeners who saw simple math patterns, got inflated 90s in high school math but absolutely failed on math contests, etc...).

The way I see it, if you truly love math and can find some usefulness in the specializations offered, then go for it. If not, and you're only considering it because you think the math degree is prestigious, I'd go with AFM.
York University
Subtle
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:51:29 PM

It seems that you really enjoy math. The content in Math/CA is challenging simply because of the workload, and like g93 said it doesn't really look THAT impressive. But if you love math then Math/CA is the way to go. I don't really see any pros/cons in the long run, it's more of a decision based on your own preference.
Western BMOS with Ivey AEO 2015
simplySimple
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:52:41 PM

Ya I agree with Subtle/g93

I think the question comes down to "Do you LOVE math?"
Applied to:
Waterloo Math/Financial Analysis and Risk Management - Accepted
Waterloo AFM-PA - Accepted
Laurier BBA - Accepted

Bachelor of Accounting and Financial Management '16
g93
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:53:47 PM

And this is not to say that Math/CA is bad (duh, it is very likely the hardest program to get into, besides Biotech/CA).

I would say it's like comparing a Bentley and a Rolls Royce. Do you really need all that the Rolls Royce entails, all the extra fluff, or would the Bentley be better? Maybe a little less prestigious, but nice and clean and hand-made.

They are both excellent paths that will get you to the same place. You can definitely rationalize choosing one or the other. For my money, it's AFM.
simplySimple
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:56:04 PM

^^ I love how you always compare programs to cars.
Applied to:
Laurier BBA - Accepted

jeanettecyr
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:56:56 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone. :)

I'm leaning towards AFM-PA because of having more time to enjoy life and work towards my CA and simply focus on Accounting. The Math seems almost a waste of time if the BAFM looks just as good. I'd like to be involved with ECs, volunteering, and having a social life. AFM-PA sounds much more enjoyable for a university experience.

I haven't totally decided but I don't think I will for some time. If anyone else has any thoughts, I'd still love to hear them.
University of Waterloo
Class of 2016

Applied to:
g93
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:59:10 PM

simplySimple wrote:
^^ I love how you always compare programs to cars.

Basketball Easiest way to give an analogy IMO. Does it work?
simplySimple
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:59:37 PM

I was in a similar position as you are in the beginning of the school year, but then i decided not to apply to math/ca because I knew that if I got accepted, I'd force myself to go there, even if I didn't like it. Its kind of the program I've wanted to go to since gr. 9
Also, after taking computer science, I knew that math/ca was not for me.
Applied to:
Laurier BBA - Accepted

PaperPen
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:49:22 PM

Well, I guess it comes down to whether or not you can handle the Math. Math/CA is in the Math Faculty, so mandatory CS courses. Even if you got really good marks in math (which you probably did, since you got into Math/CA), you have to decide whether or not you think you want to or will succeed in UW Math. Looking at courses you take in both programs will probably help your decision.
4/4 (:

University of Waterloo
Accounting and Financial Management - Public Accounting Co-op 2016
ZFero
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:05:25 AM

I also think that AFM-PA (especially with Fellowship) would be a better choice when compared to Math/CA for the vast majority of applicants.

However, as previously mentioned, it all comes down to personal preference.

I would also wait if you make AFM-PA before making a decision and possibly fellowship. You will be able to make a much more rational decision once you receive note on whether you have or have not been accepted (hopefully have been accepted :D)
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
IanSharer
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:07:38 AM

BusinessStudent wrote:
Same I got accepted to MATH/CA today and like you I'm stuck between math ca and afm. However, everyone seems to be sayin how math ca salaries are typically higher than afm. Also, I personally know this Math CA guy whos in his 20s and he works as a CA and makes $140 per hour!!!

Also, you want to become a CA at a TOP CA FIRM RIGHT?!! then go with math ca cuz its easier to get a high paying job at a top ca firm! Everyone I know keeps on sayin how this program will lead you to a TOP CA firm. in accounting the salary you make is directly based on
1) how good the firm is
2) your potential/reputation
3) oh yeah the co-op rate for math ca is 100%! accordfing to waterloo which means that youll get COOP IF you dont plan to fail.

c'mon you cant be seriously turning down math ca for afm-pa. A lot of people would do ANYTHING to get into math ca.

York University
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump