Browse Our Top Categories

mechatronics vs electrical vs mechanical engineering? Options ▼
Rohit400
#1 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 12:00:21 AM

hi guys i was just wondering if i decide to go into mechatronics (which i head is a combination of Mechanical engineering, Electronic engineering, Computer engineering, Control engineering, and Systems Design engineering) instead of electrical and mechanical engineering which are more specific
so later on in life when i go for an engineering job for... lets say electrical
so will my mechatronics degree be less compared to another candidate for the same job with an electrical degree

also what jobs are there for something with an mechatronics degree

also is anyone in mechatronics in any universities?
and is the experience ?
TTRaptors
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:45:15 PM

From friends of mine, the general advice of engineers is to stay as broad as possible if your uncertain of a particular job which you want to do. The broader your field of study, the greater number of opportunities if one of your first plans should fail.
pj2121
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:52:21 AM

Mechatronics encompasses both electrical and mechanical but it is not broader then electrical and mechanical. You are limited to dealing with mechatronics not to mention most employers have never heard of mechatronics. Where as electrical and mechanical students can enter mechatronics and many other fields as well. Search mechatronics on workopolis. If you really like mechatronics do it but IMO your better off doing mechanical or electrical. In electrical you'll still deal with systems design, control systems and electronic engineering and im pretty sure some schools allow you to specialize. Mechanical will deal with moving parts side of mechatronics and many schools allow you to specialize in mechatronics.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
nakhuda93
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:49:35 PM

pj2121 wrote:
Mechatronics encompasses both electrical and mechanical but it is not broader then electrical and mechanical. You are limited to dealing with mechatronics not to mention most employers have never heard of mechatronics. Where as electrical and mechanical students can enter mechatronics and many other fields as well. Search mechatronics on workopolis. If you really like mechatronics do it but IMO your better off doing mechanical or electrical. In electrical you'll still deal with systems design, control systems and electronic engineering and im pretty sure some schools allow you to specialize. Mechanical will deal with moving parts side of mechatronics and many schools allow you to specialize in mechatronics.

Agreed, I know from experience. My dad is a mechanical engineer working as an electrical, process and industrial engineer who designs office furniture (which is bought by many large companies and I even saw it in a Buckley's commercial). He told me mechanical engineering is pretty much a universal degree because it covers a wide variety of topics. Also even you have an engineering degree that doesn't necessarily mean you will even be an engineer, you could end up as a project manager or consultant. Either way I have to say mechanical is the way to go.
Accepted: Mac engineering
Admitted
UOIT nuclear and mechanical engineering
Waterloo Science and Aviation
Ryerson aerospace engineering
Mcmaster engineering (co-op) and physical sciences

rejected
mac isci
Waterloo engineering
Conversation Jump