2:Advanced Functions MHF4U
3:Accounting(11) BAF3M
4:Data Management MDM4U

Semester 2
1.World Issues CHY4U
2.Religion Philosophy HZT4U
3.Accounting(12) BAT4M
4.Business Leadership BOH4M

I want to go into business, but not taking calculus excludes me from the top business schools. Should I just drop data and take calculus second semester instead? For anyone who took it, is it a hard course?
Applied
Accepted
DENIED

University of Mississippi - Accounting
University of Toronto - Rotman Commerce @Chestnut
University of Waterloo - Math/CA[Alternate]BMath Co-op
University of Waterloo - Biotech/Economics

Attending(Fall 2013): Ole Miss (University of Mississippi)

TruthfulTruist
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:03:42 PM

Yes, take Calculus. It isn't even a question of fulfilling your requirements for going into post-secondary as it is a necessary foundation in university business courses. Just take it.

EDIT: I don't understand why you're taking Gr. 11 accounting in Gr. 12 ... :s
University of Western Ontario - Political Science with AEO

Accepted To:
Queen's University - Commerce
University of Toronto - Rotman Commerce
University of Toronto (Mississauga) - Commerce
University of Waterloo - Computer Science (Co-op)
University of Western Ontario - Political Science + Ivey
Wilfred Laurier University - Bachelor of Business Administration
York University - Schulich School of Business (iBBA)

ktel
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:13:09 PM

You better be really set on accounting, because you are closing the doors to a lot of other university programs.
TruthfulTruist
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:17:34 PM

ktel wrote:
You better be really set on accounting, because you are closing the doors to a lot of other university programs.

+1

And all business schools bring you into the accounting portion of the course even if you didn't take the course in HS.
University of Western Ontario - Political Science with AEO

Accepted To:
Queen's University - Commerce
University of Toronto - Rotman Commerce
University of Toronto (Mississauga) - Commerce
University of Waterloo - Computer Science (Co-op)
University of Western Ontario - Political Science + Ivey
Wilfred Laurier University - Bachelor of Business Administration
York University - Schulich School of Business (iBBA)

heesoup
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:10:36 PM

Take Calculus! You need it for a lot of things and it is very useful!
The University of Western Ontario '15
Political Science
KaylaR
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:44:09 PM

I can't offer any advice about business schools and programs, but I did take Calculus and Vectors this semester. The course is not that difficult (Math has been my weakest subject this year, and I got over 80% in Calculus and Vectors). The only thing I would mention is that it's really two different courses, and Calculus and Vectors are quite different from each other. Personally, I found Calculus was much easier than Vectors, but that's only because I don't understand geometry and word problems.
I would suggest - if you haven't already done so - talking to a guidance counsellor. He or she will be able to give you the best advice and help you figure out which course you would need to drop in second semester, so that you could take Calculus and Vectors instead.
Hope that helps, and good luck next year!!
sam93
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:05:10 PM

Hey i took calculus last semester and it is not as hard as people make it out too be! Just do your work and if you don't understand ask questions but i'm sure you'll be fine:) Do it!

gassergasser wrote:
Grade 11(Going into grade 12),

These are the courses I'm taking next year;

Semester 1
1:English ENG4U

Semester 2
1.World Issues CHY4U
3.Accounting(12) BAT4M

I want to go into business, but not taking calculus excludes me from the top business schools. Should I just drop data and take calculus second semester instead? For anyone who took it, is it a hard course?

KingKhan
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:28:21 PM

What's the point of taking grade 11 accounting without taking grade 12 also? Just drop grade 11 accounting and take calculus.
Applied to:

Brock University - Computer Science [Accepted]
McGill - Computer Engineering [Accepted]
McMaster - Engineering I [Accepted]
Queens - Engineering [Accepted]
Western - Engineering [Accepted]

McMaster: Mechanical Engineering 16'
ktel
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:20:52 PM

^ The OP obviously has grade 12 accounting in second semester
superstar2011
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:03:48 PM

Absolutely. Although I found it noticeably more challenging than the previous Mathematics courses, it's very useful for a lot of business programs. And you do want some top business programs too, right? You'll see that there are calculus applications in economics and such, so it's little wonder a lot of business programs require the course. And if you're good at visualizing and working with systems of equations and stuff, you might find vectors even easier than calculus. I personally found the calculus portion a bit more challenging. Nevertheless, it's a good course to have.

Also, is World Issues really CHY4U? I thought that's History of the West and the World. From that I'm guessing you either meant CGW4U, or you're taking the wrong course... and if it's Economic Issues you meant, then it's CIA4U.
The world is not over and I'm still kicking butt!
superstar2011
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:42:27 PM

Also, if you do plan on taking Calculus and Vectors, I suggest that you replace it with HZT4U (Philosophy) rather than MDM4U (Data Management), unless you really want to take the Philosophy course. Data Management is a reasonably good preparation for statistics. Besides, you have Data Management first semester and Philosophy second semester.
Quiz
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:46:31 PM

Yes, you should. MCV 4U is a bird course and a very good average booster. Probably the easiest course in grade 12.
gassergasser
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:35:25 PM

superstar2011 wrote:
Also, if you do plan on taking Calculus and Vectors, I suggest that you replace it with HZT4U (Philosophy) rather than MDM4U (Data Management), unless you really want to take the Philosophy course. Data Management is a reasonably good preparation for statistics. Besides, you have Data Management first semester and Philosophy second semester.

I cannot drop the philosophy since I go to a catholic school, which requires me to take a religion credit each year.

And I am taking the world history course ,I just confused the name.
Applied
Accepted
DENIED

University of Mississippi - Accounting
University of Toronto - Rotman Commerce @Chestnut
University of Waterloo - Math/CA[Alternate]BMath Co-op
University of Waterloo - Biotech/Economics

Attending(Fall 2013): Ole Miss (University of Mississippi)

DoctorLawyerDentist
#14 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 1:55:26 AM

Quiz wrote:
Yes, you should. MCV 4U is a bird course and a very good average booster. Probably the easiest course in grade 12.

No, that would be compsci and out-of-school language courses (if you're a native speaker)

But most people get the similar mark in Calculus as they do in Adv Functions, so you might as well take it. It's also very useful for later university courses.
superstar2011
#15 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 11:43:56 AM

Quiz wrote:

That would vary from school to school, in my case, it was far from the easiest, even the strongest math students felt that way. I would not call MCV4U a bird course by any means. I found it noticeably harder than both Advanced Functions and Data Management, and the final mark I got in Calculus and Vectors was only the fifth in my top 6. But of course there are people that say it is easier than practically everything else.

gassergasser wrote:
superstar2011 wrote:

I cannot drop the philosophy since I go to a catholic school, which requires me to take a religion credit each year.

And I am taking the world history course ,I just confused the name.

To the OP: So you know for sure that there is a Philosophy class open in semester 1? Otherwise, you might have to do some complicated class switching.
immaculatedx
#16 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 3:27:17 PM

gassergasser wrote:

Semester 1

Semester 2
1.World Issues CHY4U
3.Accounting(12) BAT4M

Looking at the programs you included in your signature ... I'm not sure any of those programs require Calculus (I may be wrong).

But, I would take it regardless over Business Leadership - but that's just me.
UWaterloo Computer Science

AMA
esin
#17 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 3:30:54 PM

Take calc if u know what's good for you
1T5

neurosci
samwise575
#18 Posted : Monday, July 04, 2011 12:58:34 PM

gassergasser wrote:

Semester 1

Semester 2
1.World Issues CHY4U
3.Accounting(12) BAT4M

Take calc, even if it's not a requisite you are going to have to learn it either way. Me personally I found data to be much harder than calc. It's a lot more memorizing formulas. Whereas calc you could figure out without having to do much homework if any.
Conversation Jump