Browse Our Top Categories

69 Pages 123>»
MAC HealthSci 2012 Uni Supp App Options ▼
Galactical
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:19:15 AM

as the title says, when will the supplementary application for 2012 university applicants be available? i am going to mcgill this year but thinking of transferring to mac health sci next year. if anyone has the app already, plz give me the questions..i want to to do the questions this august since i am so bored.
nicoleviscek
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:17:52 AM

Pretty sure these are them... they were taken down for some reason..

What in your opinion defines you as you?

Select a four letter word in the English language which should be preserved and explain why (no contractions).

Describe your most difficult experience in dealing with others and how you handled the situation.

UWO Health Sciences and Biology '16
nicoleviscek
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:48:14 AM

fxoqxc wrote:
[quote=nicoleviscek]Pretty sure these are them... they were taken down for some reason..

Select a four letter word in the English language which should be preserved and explain why (no contractions).

Describe your most difficult experience in dealing with others and how you handled the situation.

i think he meant university supp app

and they're not taken down, the link is http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/supp/blank.html[/quote]

Yes, well two days ago you could not access the link.
But they are the same three long answer questions anyways.
aquarius
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:22:59 AM

I don't think the Level 1 Supp questions are the same as level (11) if you are transferring from another Univ. I could be wrong but I thought I saw something about Level 11 Supp on their website.
nicoleviscek
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:32:06 PM

aquarius wrote:
I don't think the Level 1 Supp questions are the same as level (11) if you are transferring from another Univ. I could be wrong but I thought I saw something about Level 11 Supp on their website.

Yeah you are right! They may be two different applications.
Galactical
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:48:25 PM

i meant supp app II for uni students...i guessed the link based on the first one: http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/supp2/blank.html

i dont know whether these are 2012 though

it will cost over $200 just to apply..crap
morraa2
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:54:03 PM

Galactical wrote:
i meant supp app II for uni students...i guessed the link based on the first one: http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/supp2/blank.html

i dont know whether these are 2012 though

it will cost over $200 just to apply..crap

From what I remember the supp q's were the same for both 1st year and transfer students..but haha they changed the questions! In my year there was this infamous question 'if there is one question that should not be asked, what would it be and why' n it was around for a few years.. so maybe it'll come up again!
Euphenism1
#8 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 12:30:40 AM

nicoleviscek wrote:

Hello,

Can someone confirm that these three questions are the ones that grade 12 students will have to answer for the 2011-2012 year?(the site is not working)

Thanks so much.
McMaster Health Science

Bleeding Blue with the Wolf Pack

Class of 2016
aquarius
#9 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 10:02:15 AM

Euphenism1 wrote:
nicoleviscek wrote:

Hello,

Can someone confirm that these three questions are the ones that grade 12 students will have to answer for the 2011-2012 year?(the site is not working)

Thanks so much.

This happened last year too, the link came down after they posted early and then re posted. Those were 3 same questions I saw too in the link b4 they took it down.
KayS94
#10 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 3:28:21 AM

They updated the website again, here's the link: http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/supp/blank.html
The three questions are:
1. What in your opinion defines you as you?

2. Select a four letter word in the English language which should be preserved and explain why (no contractions).

3. Describe your most difficult experience in dealing with others and how did you handle the situation?

Good luck!
Currently in grade 12 IB.

Applied to:
Western Health Sciences (pending)
York Kinesiology w/Health Sciences (offer)
McMaster Social Sciences (offer)
McMaster Nursing (pending)

andrewk512
#11 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 3:47:45 PM

I look forward to see what this year's applicants will come up with, and I'm here for advice if you need it.
McMaster Medicine 2017
McMaster Bachelor of Health Science 2014
I do not visit this forum regularly enough to answer PMs anymore, sorry.
andrewk512
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:46:48 AM

For the first, be yourself, make it unique and not just a list of ECs. Think to your ideas and beliefs and what symbolizes them.
The second I would brainstorm a list, and pick one that you think you can argue the best. It has to be an idea you can explain in an effective and concise manner.
The third is a tough one, it's very personal.
Good luck. =)
McMaster Medicine 2017
lookatme
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 2:05:19 AM

fxoqxc wrote:
andrewk512 wrote:
I look forward to see what this year's applicants will come up with, and I'm here for advice if you need it.

can i get advice..? lol, i don't even know where to start.

I would start writing the supp app early (a month before the deadline?) and answer the questions in a way that best represents yourself. If you aren't satisfied with your answers, then you could always write it again. Remember to edit for clarity and be concise. Give it to others to read and ask for their opinion, because the things that you write might seem familiar and clear to you, but might not to others who don't know you that well. As for content, I wouldn't cater your topic to what you think the admins want to read.

This is just how I did it though, but I know a lot of people who wrote their supp app a day or two before the due date and still got in. I know that English and writing doesn't come naturally to me and so I need a lot of time to edit and revise.

Good luck!
McMaster Bachelor of Health Sciences 2015
UOttawa Medicine 2018
KayS94
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:30:14 AM

^ would you guys [lookatme & andrewk512] mind posting your supp apps just so the rest of us can get an idea of what Mac is looking for?
Currently in grade 12 IB.

Applied to:
Western Health Sciences (pending)
York Kinesiology w/Health Sciences (offer)
McMaster Social Sciences (offer)
McMaster Nursing (pending)

lookatme
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:02:41 PM

fxoqxc wrote:
to the two that replied with advice:

1. entrance average? i know it doesn't matter after 90, but please i just want to know =D

2. keep language simple or try to sound smart/use big words/retarded sentence structure, etc? or in the middle?

3. could you post your supp apps?

4. for universities in general, do volunteer hours matter besides scholarships? i just need a yes or no answer for this.. like do they see where/how many hours you have? i'm planning on volunteering at the hospital starting september until june but if they dgaf i don't want to bother since it will probably interfere with my school work and drop my marks

5. lets say i do volunteer.. won't i get my volunteer sheet in june, which is too late?

1. The average mac looked at when they accepted me was 95.8, but it dropped to 95.5 for finals.

2. Just keep it as coherent and concise as possible? Use the best words to say what you want to say. If you try to "sound smart" or use big words for the sake of using them, the reader will know.

3. Already posted on the 2010-2011 application thread a few pages back.

4. Extra-curricular activities do not matter, but you might want to include them in your responses. I didn't, and I still got in. It really depends on you.
UOttawa Medicine 2018
andrewk512
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:10:30 AM

1) Was at 95 when accepted.
2) Be yourself. I focused on structure and word choice, but a lot of candidates did not.
3) Here is my first one ('What in your opinion defines you as you?')
Quote:
The cold winter air brushes past my face as I leave behind one of many hectic Christmas shifts. School, over. Work, done. Now is the part where I would comfort myself with reveries of rest if only that reality were true. At home, the kitchen awaits me with a massive task list. I have 2 hours until 10 guests arrive for an incredible 9 course meal, prepared by myself with my grandma as sous-chef. Each dish has about 4 sub-components, some with sub-sub-components. It’s the result of a challenge seeker given unrestricted boundaries.
My devotion to cooking represents my perspective on all aspects of life. I am a hard-working perfectionist, in the constant state of reflection and evolution. This meal was 2 months in the making. It was the sum of meticulous examination and development of each micro-specific detail arranged in harmony, all to be eaten and enjoyed in a few hours, then left in the past. To many, this is insanity. To me, there is nothing better than to watch as each detail collides in harmony.
The prevalence for the importance behind the littlest of details correlates my deep respect for this world. Nothing is to be taken for granted. Remarkable beauty is found in water – the perfect arrangement of hydrogen and oxygen atoms –the value of its accessibility in our lives often forgotten. It is this ever present search of perfection which defines my driven, strategic approach to life. Where do the gaps lie? How can this be improved? The search encompasses me.

4) No, not for science programs, unless your marks are low and you're doing like UBC's supplemental application. Queen's application has a spot for volunteer/work positions, but I'm not aware if it has much influence.
McMaster Medicine 2017
pupil
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:38:30 PM

Wow, I can't believe its our turn to be applying - I've followed these threads for the last two years! Many thanks to those above me who are helping us newbies out :)

Looking at the questions the last ones seems to be the toughest..gahh. Any pointers on that one?
University of Guelph - Class of 2016
Bio-Medical Sciences
lookatme
#18 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 9:03:06 AM

pupil wrote:
Wow, I can't believe its our turn to be applying - I've followed these threads for the last two years! Many thanks to those above me who are helping us newbies out :)

Looking at the questions the last ones seems to be the toughest..gahh. Any pointers on that one?

That question is certainly quite challenging, haha. But the question is still very vague so you can talk about pretty much anything under the big umbrella of "dealing with people". So, anything goes. Just be honest, and your answer doesn't necessarily have to be limited to something cliche like group work in school or some competition/teamwork thing you've attended to. I guess if I were to answer that question, I would talk about something everybody can connect to. I'd talk about that situation and what I've learned from it.

Good luck! =)
UOttawa Medicine 2018
pupil
#19 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 1:28:20 PM

lookatme wrote:
pupil wrote:

That question is certainly quite challenging, haha. But the question is still very vague so you can talk about pretty much anything under the big umbrella of "dealing with people". So, anything goes. Just be honest, and your answer doesn't necessarily have to be limited to something cliche like group work in school or some competition/teamwork thing you've attended to. I guess if I were to answer that question, I would talk about something everybody can connect to. I'd talk about that situation and what I've learned from it.

Good luck! =)

Ahaha,thanks for the response! Interesting points :)
University of Guelph - Class of 2016
Bio-Medical Sciences
futuredoc
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:26:08 PM

fxoqxc wrote:
can i get advice..? lol, i don't even know where to start.

Start writing your supp app well before its due (I started mine in Decemeber), and get it edited by a couple people so that you can get several different opinions. Even if you end up changing it a couple times (or about 20 times like me :P), that's fine, as long as you're happy with the final product. And don't submit it on the last night, in case of any technical errors.

fxoqxc wrote:
1. entrance average? i know it doesn't matter after 90, but please i just want to know =D

2. keep language simple or try to sound smart/use big words/retarded sentence structure, etc? or in the middle?

3. could you post your supp apps?

4. for universities in general, do volunteer hours matter besides scholarships? i just need a yes or no answer for this.. like do they see where/how many hours you have? i'm planning on volunteering at the hospital starting september until june but if they dgaf i don't want to bother since it will probably interfere with my school work and drop my marks

5. lets say i do volunteer.. won't i get my volunteer sheet in june, which is too late?

Best of Luck to everyone applying this year!

1. My average was 95.5 at midterms, and my fianl average was 95.8%

2. I kept my language considerably simple, so in the middle. I found that using a lot of complicated words just took away from the meaning and made it harder to understand the main point of what you want to say in your answers.

3. There are several essays still up from last year on the thread called "McMaster Health Sci Supp App '10-'11". My 2nd and 3rd answers are still up, but I took down the first question since the same one is on the supp app this year.

4. No, at least not for Mac, unless you want to mention them in your supp app (I didn't).
McMaster University Bachelor of Health Sciences 2015
69 Pages 123>»
Conversation Jump