Browse Our Top Categories

6 Pages 123>»
Top 10 Engineering schools in Canada Options ▼
Sch18les
#1 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 8:50:03 AM

This topic has been debated for a very long time and it is very hard to rank them in order because of the strenght of some individual departments of some schools(like nothing beats uoft's engineering science, or waterloo's software engineering)so a general top 10 is listed.

1. Waterloo University
2. University of Toronto
3. University of British Columbia
4. University of Alberta
5. McGill University
6. McMaster University
7. Simon Fraser University
8. Queen's University
9. Ottawa University / University of Calgary
10. University of Victoria

The top 10 are in no particular order(or are they?)

Honourable mentions: Dalhousie, Acadia, UofS, UofM

JRogers123
#2 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 10:00:00 AM

that's a top 11
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
Sch18les
#3 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 10:19:55 AM

Take out Calgary then. I added it there cuz i'm a bit biased
pj2121
#4 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 10:46:51 AM

Ranking is irrelevant. Once your a professional engineer no one gives two sh*ts where you went to school. Experience is more important.

Quote:
nothing beats uoft's engineering science

Overrated.
**Shields**
Accepted:
ktel
#5 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 12:20:40 PM

pj2121 wrote:
Ranking is irrelevant. Once your a professional engineer no one gives two sh*ts where you went to school. Experience is more important.

That could be said for every single profession.
Sch18les
#6 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 12:46:05 PM

Well to gain experience you have to be hired, and you're more likely to be hired if your graduating from a top ranked school.
pj2121
#7 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 2:28:51 PM

ktel wrote:
pj2121 wrote:

That could be said for every single profession.

True. Although I think it does make an impact for business students. But my point was that rankings are a bunch of poo for undergrad, no one cares where u went/go to school.

Quote:
Well to gain experience you have to be hired, and you're more likely to be hired if your graduating from a top ranked school.

You have to have interships/coop. Just please dont consider schools mainly based upon ranking. UofT is really bad with this they plaster it everywhere that they are one of the top in the world. When really in an undergrad eng program it really isnt that important. Which is why eng sci is so overrated. You work insanely hard to end up with the same position as any other engineer.
**Shields**
Accepted:
jelly
#8 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 2:53:43 PM

Western didn't even make honourable mention?
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering
Class of 2017
CatRunner
#9 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 5:10:03 PM

I have friends who are studying engineering, and according to them the "best school" or "top school" depends on a number of factors, including which engineering discipline is of interest.

I have friends who went to Waterloo for computer engineering, due to its excellent reputation in that area. I have friends who went to Carleton for aerospace. I have friends here at Guelph in biomedical.

Anyhow, according to them, it is highly dependent on which field of engineering is of interest. And, as others have said, reputation matters much more when it comes to graduate studies. As long as you graduate from an accredited engineering program, you will be on par with graduates from any other accredited engineering program, at least according to everyone I know in engineering.
University of Guelph: Applied Human Nutrition 2014 (Nutrition/Dietetics)
Sch18les
#10 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 5:51:48 PM

CatRunner is right. Reputation for most programs comes into play when u are applying to grad school. However the logic that if it's accredited it doesn't matter where you go are flawed. It may not be as important in engineering but reputation plays a big part in most programs.
Xizeta
#11 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 8:57:09 PM

Carleton vs uOttawa for engineering?
TigerBlood
#12 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 9:07:55 PM

definitely not mac for engineering. look up their cudo, they take in people from low 70s.
imo, queens or western deserve mac's spot.

Going to highly ranked uni can only cover you for so much. What also matters is how you actually do at the uni; gpa, extra-curricular&such. I'd rather hire a person with 3.8gpa from carleton than a person with 2.95gpa from uoft.
Sch18les
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:35:52 AM

No school can make a great engineer that gets a job. That part will always be up to the individual and the kind of drive you have. Most universities have very crappy professors except for the handful that stick out as actual talented teachers. I think we can all agree with this. Professors are paid to do research, and not provide quality teaching. Grades don't affect their standing in the university so why should they care when really gaining that Research chair is what matters?
Now looking at the kinds of people that UofT produces may really be due to the fact that it is in Canada's largest city rather than the fact that it can make good engineers. You talk to anybody in any engineering program now, and they can point out at least 10 idiots in their class that shouldn't be there or 10 people that are the superstars that will get jobs no matter where they go.
I will usually recommend Waterloo because of its co-op program. It can really help with the rising tuitions but getting your co-op job will mostly be up to you. When getting employment, the person who has worked in the industry you are applying for will always get an advantage over one that hasn't. Rarely does the school you're from ever even matter unless the company is picking from the bottom of the barrel (graduates who have zero work experience and no networking). Its the experience you gain when in your university that is going to matter. So you could go to Lakehead, swing a summer job with Ford and when you apply to an automotive company guess what? They'll hire you over anyone from any other school that has never worked before. Experience is #1 and that part is entirely up to the individual.
- a wise engineer

KingKhan
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:14:58 PM

TigerBlood wrote:
definitely not mac for engineering. look up their cudo, they take in people from low 70s.

Definetly not true, they require people with low-mid 80s
Applied to:

Brock University - Computer Science [Accepted]
McGill - Computer Engineering [Accepted]
McMaster - Engineering I [Accepted]
Queens - Engineering [Accepted]
Western - Engineering [Accepted]

McMaster: Mechanical Engineering 16'
chatmike
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:56:56 PM

TigerBlood wrote:

Going to highly ranked uni can only cover you for so much. What also matters is how you actually do at the uni; gpa, extra-curricular&such. I'd rather hire a person with 3.8gpa from carleton than a person with 2.95gpa from uoft.

That is a blatant lie, the cut-off was AT LEAST 83% this year. Maybe you're confusing Mac's engineering program with its Bachelors in Technology program which is a 70s program.

McMaster Engineering 2016

Materials Science and Engineering and Society with a minor in Biochemistry

McMaster Enineering 2011 Applied -> Accepted
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering 2011 Applied -> Accepted
Western Engineering 2011 Applied -> Accepted
TigerBlood
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:22:34 PM

Sch18les wrote:
No school can make a great engineer that gets a job. That part will always be up to the individual and the kind of drive you have. Most universities have very crappy professors except for the handful that stick out as actual talented teachers. I think we can all agree with this. Professors are paid to do research, and not provide quality teaching. Grades don't affect their standing in the university so why should they care when really gaining that Research chair is what matters?
Now looking at the kinds of people that UofT produces may really be due to the fact that it is in Canada's largest city rather than the fact that it can make good engineers. You talk to anybody in any engineering program now, and they can point out at least 10 idiots in their class that shouldn't be there or 10 people that are the superstars that will get jobs no matter where they go.
I will usually recommend Waterloo because of its co-op program. It can really help with the rising tuitions but getting your co-op job will mostly be up to you. When getting employment, the person who has worked in the industry you are applying for will always get an advantage over one that hasn't. Rarely does the school you're from ever even matter unless the company is picking from the bottom of the barrel (graduates who have zero work experience and no networking). Its the experience you gain when in your university that is going to matter. So you could go to Lakehead, swing a summer job with Ford and when you apply to an automotive company guess what? They'll hire you over anyone from any other school that has never worked before. Experience is #1 and that part is entirely up to the individual.
- a wise engineer

Agreed 101% percent

chatmike wrote:
TigerBlood wrote:

That is a blatant lie, the cut-off was AT LEAST 83% this year. Maybe you're confusing Mac's engineering program with its Bachelors in Technology program which is a 70s program.

McMaster Engineering overall average; 85% http://www.mcmaster.ca/a...20092010/20092010B.html
Queens Engineering overall average; 88%
http://www.queensu.ca/ir.../cudo2010/sectionB.html
Western Engineering overall average; 85.4%
http://www.uwo.ca/pvp/co...ity2010/cudo_2010/b.htm
Waterloo engineering overall average; 89%
http://analysis.uwaterlo...lSectionB.php#sectionb1

problem chatmike?
chatmike
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:58:10 PM

TigerBlood wrote:

chatmike wrote:
TigerBlood wrote:

McMaster Engineering overall average; 85% http://www.mcmaster.ca/a...20092010/20092010B.html
Queens Engineering overall average; 88%
http://www.queensu.ca/ir.../cudo2010/sectionB.html
Western Engineering overall average; 85.4%
http://www.uwo.ca/pvp/co...ity2010/cudo_2010/b.htm
Waterloo engineering overall average; 89%
http://analysis.uwaterlo...lSectionB.php#sectionb1

problem chatmike?

...what? All you did was prove your own number wrong. Unless in your strange world 70=85 So no problem.

TigerBlood
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:20:46 AM

chatmike wrote:

...what? All you did was prove your own number wrong. Unless in your strange world 70=85 So no problem.

*facepalm*

let me clarify; queens deserves to be on the list due to its better reputation and higher than mac entrance average. If you had actually compared mac's cudo to queens, or even western, you would've noticed that only mac has people coming in from 70-74 range. 85 is the OVERALL average which includes people from 95-100 range to people from 70-74 range.
chatmike
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:32:52 AM

TigerBlood wrote:
chatmike wrote:

*facepalm*

let me clarify; queens deserves to be on the list due to its better reputation and higher than mac entrance average. If you had actually compared mac's cudo to queens, or even western, you would've noticed that only mac has people coming in from 70-74 range. 85 is the OVERALL average which includes people from 95-100 range to people from 70-74 range.

*facepalm* right back atcha.

What is the reasoning for people in the 70-74 range? Lets use ockham's razor here for a second, option A) special circumstances, and Mac is kind enough to let these cases in, or B) Mac invites every 70-74 person in that applies, even though they say the cut-off is 82%.

And since i don't take you as a moron, lets assume option A is the correct one. What exactly does this prove...? Mac understands some things people go through? They have an empathetic admission team?

And admission averages bro? That the best you got? That doesn't mean squat, i got my Mac, Western and UW offers with an 83.6% average. Yet those admission averages sure don't reflect that.

ktel
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:51:27 AM

They had 0.1% of applicants in the 70-74 range... That is so ridiculously insignificant.
6 Pages 123>»
Conversation Jump