Browse Our Top Categories

Grade 11 Schedule - Help! Options ▼
BubsTea
#1 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 1:57:31 PM

I just got my schedule for my grade 11 year, and I wanted to get some advice/help from others that have completed these courses and know how much course load there is going to be.

1st Semester:
Biology (University)
Math/Functions (University)
Chemistry (University)
Accounting (Mixed)

2nd Semester:
French (University)
Religion (Mixed)
English (University)
Physics (University)

Is it doable? Or should I drop/rearrange? I feel like doing 2 science courses and a math course won't be too much of a big deal but everyone else is telling me I have an extremely difficult first semester and it will be hard to get a good average.
superstar2011
#2 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 2:24:54 PM

BubsTea wrote:
I just got my schedule for my grade 11 year, and I wanted to get some advice/help from others that have completed these courses and know how much course load there is going to be.

1st Semester:
Biology (University)
Chemistry (University)
Accounting (Mixed)

2nd Semester:
French (Mixed)
Religion (Mixed)
English (University)
Physics (University)

Is it doable? Or should I drop/rearrange? I feel like doing 2 science courses and a math course won't be too much of a big deal but everyone else is telling me I have an extremely difficult first semester and it will be hard to get a good average.

I can't really say which semester will be tougher for you, but I have endured the Bio/Chem/Accounting combo in semester 1 before. But without Functions. This shouldn't be too hard as long as you stay awake in class and are eager to do your work. It's more manageable than people say it is. The work wasn't terribly heavy, but I'm not sure what happens when you put Functions in the same semester. Either way, I suggest that you get your homework done in Chem/Functions/Accounting right away and prepare for Biology tests/quizzes. They're usually not easy to prepare for in one night (unless you have exceptional memory), so write stuff down on cue cards to review the night before a test.

As for second semester, English and Physics was double trouble for me. Or maybe because I had Functions then also. Course work was rather heavy here. English really depends on your teacher and how strict the course is run, so no one can really tell you that much about it. Physics is pretty tough for most students, so work hard and know the concepts well.
The world is not over and I'm still kicking butt!
BubsTea
#3 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 2:39:49 PM

^ Thanks for the input! I guess I need to sort out all my homework and plan everything for both semesters then. I thought Accounting was rather a easy course and didn't consider it to be a conflict, with my sciences and math :s, but now I'm thinking it is harder than it looks?
jelly
#4 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 3:13:21 PM

It really depends what you're aiming for in a mark... Either way I'm pretty sure its doable. I had physics, chemistry and math in my first semester and I did fine. I actually think grade 11 chemistry is really simple, half the course is simple math. The concepts in chemistry are pretty easy as well. Physics was way harder for me, but still very manageable. Math was pretty easy as well. Honestly I think physics was the only challenging course in grade 11...
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering
Class of 2017
superstar2011
#5 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 5:27:36 PM

BubsTea wrote:
^ Thanks for the input! I guess I need to sort out all my homework and plan everything for both semesters then. I thought Accounting was rather a easy course and didn't consider it to be a conflict, with my sciences and math :s, but now I'm thinking it is harder than it looks?

Accounting in grade 11 is an easy course. It was the easiest grade 11 course I've taken, at the very least. You just have to know the rules and follow them when you put up financial statements (and be neat and tidy)! You do get a fair amount of homework, so you do have to be up to date.

Now I can't tell you much about French or Religion because I haven't taken them, but I can pretty much guarantee that you will do a lot of writing assignments. (And you've got English the same semester too?) I've had a close friend who's done this combo and found it pretty tough. I don't know what you hope to get into, but that's a lot of work!

So as for dropping courses- you'll be fine with what you have, unless your writing or analysis skills are much below par. If any course in particular seems unnecessary trouble, however, you should switch to one of the open course options.

Other than French, English and Religion, I will list the rest of your courses in the increasing order of difficulty (that I would expect): Accounting, Chemistry, Functions, Biology, Physics. Coincidentally, that's also my grade 11 final marks listed in descending order.

Edit: Wait, your French class is mixed? I've never seen a mixed French course. I've only seen Grade 11 French offered as University Prep or Open.
superstar2011
#6 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 5:35:54 PM

jelly wrote:
It really depends what you're aiming for in a mark... Either way I'm pretty sure its doable. I had physics, chemistry and math in my first semester and I did fine. I actually think grade 11 chemistry is really simple, half the course is simple math. The concepts in chemistry are pretty easy as well. Physics was way harder for me, but still very manageable. Math was pretty easy as well. Honestly I think physics was the only challenging course in grade 11...

I agree that Physics was the most challenging, but if that was your only challenging course... you were pretty lucky. And I've had this friend who had Physics, Chemistry, Functions and Computer Science who felt horrible about doing so much math in one day cat
BubsTea
#7 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 5:53:07 PM

^ Thank-you for all the help guys :). I guess for now I will just suck it up and see how much I can do, and if I find it too difficult I'll just have to switch out. I guess the only three courses I am actually worried about are Physics, Bio and Functions. Oh and thanks for pointing that out, French IS University prep, I have no idea why I put in mixed. I'm not too worried about my writing courses and world religion is usually an easy breezy course. I'm planning on going into health sciences by the way. :)
jelly
#8 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 6:08:58 PM

superstar2011 wrote:

I agree that Physics was the most challenging, but if that was your only challenging course... you were pretty lucky. And I've had this friend who had Physics, Chemistry, Functions and Computer Science who felt horrible about doing so much math in one day

Well maybe we have different definitions of "challenging." I'm not really into hardcore studying for marks, especially since its grade 11. What I'd consider challenging would be legitimately putting a sizable amount effort in order to attain a mark that isn't exceptional. For me, I'm content with 80s in grade 11, so I got almost the same mark in all my courses. Chemistry was 84, Math was 83, and Physics was 81. I put the most effort into physics. If I can putting minimal effort into a course (simply completing every evaluation, light ~15 minute studying before unit tests) and still get 80s, I don't really consider it challenging. It pretty much shows 90s are easy to reach with more work put in. Of course, I'm not as much as an overachiever as many on this forum, if at all, so take what I'm writing as you will; it doesn't apply to everyone. I was fortunate enough to have law as my fourth course in that semester, pretty much some writing to save me from maths.

BubsTea wrote:

^ Thank-you for all the help guys :). I guess for now I will just suck it up and see how much I can do, and if I find it too difficult I'll just have to switch out. I guess the only three courses I am actually worried about are Physics, Bio and Functions. Oh and thanks for pointing that out, French IS University prep, I have no idea why I put in mixed. I'm not too worried about my writing courses and world religion is usually an easy breezy course. I'm planning on going into health sciences by the way. :)

World Religions is easy, that's assured. The problem for me was that the course is incredibly boring, and it requires studying. Oh those first period English classes trying to memorize Hindu terms...
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering
Class of 2017
WantToSucceed
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:49:26 PM

superstar2011 wrote:
BubsTea wrote:

1st Semester:
Biology (University)
Chemistry (University)
Accounting (Mixed)

2nd Semester:
French (Mixed)
Religion (Mixed)
English (University)
Physics (University)

I can't really say which semester will be tougher for you, but I have endured the Bio/Chem/Accounting combo in semester 1 before. But without Functions. This shouldn't be too hard as long as you stay awake in class and are eager to do your work. It's more manageable than people say it is. The work wasn't terribly heavy, but I'm not sure what happens when you put Functions in the same semester. Either way, I suggest that you get your homework done in Chem/Functions/Accounting right away and prepare for Biology tests/quizzes. They're usually not easy to prepare for in one night (unless you have exceptional memory), so write stuff down on cue cards to review the night before a test.

As for second semester, English and Physics was double trouble for me. Or maybe because I had Functions then also. Course work was rather heavy here. English really depends on your teacher and how strict the course is run, so no one can really tell you that much about it. Physics is pretty tough for most students, so work hard and know the concepts well.

If you do bad in grade 11 like (70s average) will universities look down on you for that and won't pick you for that program?
loveydovey
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:21:34 PM

WantToSucceed wrote:
If you do bad in grade 11 like (70s average) will universities look down on you for that and won't pick you for that program?

No, unless you are looking for early admission.
WantToSucceed
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:17:54 PM

Thanks!
WantToSucceed
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:21:14 PM

loveydovey wrote:
WantToSucceed wrote:

No, unless you are looking for early admission.

Thanks
Conversation Jump