Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
HELP!! How to maintain a 90+ average with busy and stressful schedule? Grade 11 Canadian High School Options ▼
Smarties102
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:51:15 PM

Hey, I am going into grade 11 in a week and I am worried that my schedule and lifestyle will make my marks suffer.
I am taking all U courses.

I want to change the view of the question a bit, not should I change my schedule but whether it is possible?

Semester One: (I think this will be the hardest semester of high school yet) Should I change it?? I like the teachers I have though =\
Period 1: Chemistry
Period 2: Physics
Period 3: -LUNCH-
Period 4: Math
Period 5: Grade 12 Biology

Semester Two:
Period 1: Grade 12 Advanced Functions
Period 2: Law
Period 3:Vocals
Period 4: English
Period 5: -LUNCH-

Take into consideration that I will have a lot of extra curricular activities(such as daily physical activity, choir, biology club..etc). Do you think to get a 90+ average possible and I would really appreciate it if you gave me some advice. =)

Thanks.
KingKhan
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:57:20 PM

I'd drop grade 12 functions and replace it with one of the courses from first semester, why are you taking it in grade 11 anyways?
Applied to:

Brock University - Computer Science [Accepted]
McGill - Computer Engineering [Accepted]
McMaster - Engineering I [Accepted]
Queens - Engineering [Accepted]
Western - Engineering [Accepted]

Attending: McMaster Engineering - Class of 2016
Smarties102
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:00:54 PM

KingKhan wrote:
I'd drop grade 12 functions and replace it with one of the courses from first semester, why are you taking it in grade 11 anyways?

I am fast tracking some courses so I can take the courses I want in grade 12 and maybe be a little less stressed in grade 12. My brother who is going to university this year advise me to take it as well, his reasoning was that if I were to screw up in grade 11 I could make it up in grade 12, because in grade 12 you don't get another chance.
KingKhan
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:02:40 PM

Smarties102 wrote:
KingKhan wrote:

I am fast tracking some courses so I can take the courses I want in grade 12 and maybe be a little less stressed in grade 12. My brother who is going to university this year advise me to take it as well, his reasoning was that if I were to screw up in grade 11 I could make it up in grade 12, because in grade 12 you don't get another chance.

You could always take it in summer school before grade 12, if you screw up then you can repeat it in grade 12.
Applied to:

Smarties102
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:07:42 PM

KingKhan wrote:
Smarties102 wrote:
KingKhan wrote:

You could always take it in summer school before grade 12, if you screw up then you can repeat it in grade 12.

I am not very proficient in math so I am not confident taking math in summer school, as well my school is very full most of the time so I would probably be worried if I don't get into the class. Thanks for your opinion though. I really appreciate it =)
Xizeta
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:28:30 PM

I personally would switch the biology to second semester. There is a lot of chemistry involve in grade twelve biology: it would be beneficial to have the chemistry under your belt.

You should drop law for something easier. Not that law is a challenging class or anything – but it would take away valuable study and work time. In particular, since you want to concern yourself with a grade average. There is a lot of terminology involved and could prove to be a nuisance. Not to mention law is extremely boring.

Maybe switch English to first semester – swap with biology if possible. You might be able to schedule your two grade twelve course with two bird courses. Or you could just drop the biology for next year. Instead, you could fast trade Enlgish - which is not too demanding a course. This would leave you in good shape for your final year.

High marks are in grade eleven are not too important. I would focus your attention to the senior courses.
Smarties102
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:47:25 PM

Smarties102 wrote:
Hey, I am going into grade 11 in a week and I am worried that my schedule and lifestyle will make my marks suffer.

I want to change the view of the question a bit, not should I change my schedule but whether it is possible?

Semester One: (I think this will be the hardest semester of high school yet) Should I change it?? I like the teachers I have though =\

Semester Two:

Take into consideration that I will have a lot of extra curricular activities(such as daily physical activity, choir, biology club..etc). Do you think to get a 90+ average possible and I would really appreciate it if you gave me some advice. =)

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for their advice but I want to know if this schedule is possible? Like has anyone have a schedule like this before and get a 90%+ average?
immaculatedx
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:48:21 PM

Math courses are the only courses in high school that are homework intensive. People always overestimate the workload of the sciences.

Just my opinion.
UWaterloo Computer Science

AMA
Smarties102
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:48:38 PM

Xizeta wrote:
I personally would switch the biology to second semester. There is a lot of chemistry involve in grade twelve biology: it would be beneficial to have the chemistry under your belt.

You should drop law for something easier. Not that law is a challenging class or anything – but it would take away valuable study and work time. In particular, since you want to concern yourself with a grade average. There is a lot of terminology involved and could prove to be a nuisance. Not to mention law is extremely boring.

Maybe switch English to first semester – swap with biology if possible. You might be able to schedule your two grade twelve course with two bird courses. Or you could just drop the biology for next year. Instead, you could fast trade Enlgish - which is not too demanding a course. This would leave you in good shape for your final year.

High marks are in grade eleven are not too important. I would focus your attention to the senior courses.

Would anthropology sociology and psychology be a better choice for law?
Smarties102
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:50:02 PM

immaculatedx wrote:
Math courses are the only courses in high school that are homework intensive. People always overestimate the workload of the sciences.

Just my opinion.

So are you saying my schedule is fine?
Xizeta
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 5:10:32 PM

There is more to a course than simply the homework workload. In science you need to be able to understand the concepts and what is happening. Science courses, especially grade twelve, will demand and require time to achieve the mark you are looking for.

Grade twelve chemistry and physics are arguably the most challenging courses you will take in high school. Biology requires you to know a lot of terminology. Either you know that crap or you do not.

Mathematics on the other hand - mostly skill based.

Anthropology is a good course to take
KingKhan
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 5:46:17 PM

Smarties102 wrote:
Xizeta wrote:

Would anthropology sociology and psychology be a better choice for law?

Definitely, that course is considered to be a bird course, atleast at my school.
Applied to:

KingKhan
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 6:03:04 PM

And I just realized, your school has their lunches divided into periods? WOW that's so weird
Applied to:

Smarties102
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:58:20 PM

KingKhan wrote:
And I just realized, your school has their lunches divided into periods? WOW that's so weird

Yeah my school has way too many students to fit in one scheduled lunch period so they divide the lunches into periods to accommodate more classes and less people in the halls.
Xizeta
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:25:44 PM

Lunch at the end of the day, nice.

Student population?
Smarties102
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:41:43 PM

Xizeta wrote:
Lunch at the end of the day, nice.

Student population?

We have around 1750+ students in our school =P
Smarties102
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:11:02 PM

fxoqxc wrote:
immaculatedx wrote:

Just my opinion.

Not true at all. I spend 30 minutes max a day on math homework and have always managed 93+ in AP math.. I usually don't even do the homework (but then again I took math classes for algebra/precalc/calc since grade 8..)

I spend around 3 hours a day on each science with the exception of physics. You underestimate the workload of the sciences.. although all 11 sciences is a joke.

@OP: don't underestimate the difficulty of 12 bio. The multiple choice questions are fairly difficult (in my school) and requires deep understanding of the material. I suggest you re-read every chapter at least 5 times and answer all the section questions, re-read your coursepack 5+ times, read over all your notes 10 times if you want a 97+.

Advanced functions is repeat of 11 functions without series and finance bullcrap which makes things a lot easier. The only new thing is drawing graphs of polynomial functions and logarithms.. trig is fairly simple if you're not retarded. But I'll admit there's a lot of material to be covered in advanced functions.. just keep up with the homework.

Your schedule isn't impossible. Just pay extra attention to biology.. it's NOTHING like 11 bio.

If worst comes to worst, just start skipping your grade 11 courses.. that's what I did LOL

Thanks for the advice on grade 12 bio and advanced functions. What do you think of the Physics chemistry math and grade 12 bio combo?
LaszloAlmasy
#18 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 6:48:45 AM

Don't freak out. I agree with everyone else about bio. If you're even considering trying to get a 90+ average with this courseload, you must be reasonably strong in science. You mentioned you're in biology club. Bring your stuff there. Study study study. Advanced functions is seriously an easy course. It's entirely skills. Study on your lunch, as well. It's a free hour that you don't have to study at home. In terms of actually getting high marks, ask tons of questions in class and after class, even if you think you know the answer, and polish the presentation and mechanics of all your projects,in addition to knowing the material,
He saw the shadow of an average man attempting the exceptional, and ran.
aquarius
#19 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 10:32:37 AM

Smarties102 wrote:

Semester Two:

Thanks.

Taking 3 science subjects in first semester in my opinion is you are asking for trouble expecially if you tons of extra currucular activities. If may get too overwhelmed. Switch one of the science to 2nd semester. Take AF in Summer school or you can keep it and if you don't do well drop it later then take it in summer school which is what I did and was the best decision I made.
Move up vocal to 1st semester.

Good Luck .
aquarius
#20 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 10:32:39 AM

Smarties102 wrote:

Semester Two:

Thanks.

Taking 3 science subjects in first semester in my opinion is you are asking for trouble expecially if you have tons of extra curricular activities. If may get too overwhelmed. Switch one of the science to 2nd semester. Take AF in Summer school or you can keep it and if you don't do well drop it later then take it in summer school which is what I did and was the best decision I made.
Move up vocal to 1st semester.

Good Luck .
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump