Browse Our Top Categories

3 Pages 123>
Is it a good idea not to attend frosh week? Options ▼
inthemaking
#1 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 2:43:58 PM
Rank: Student Body President


Joined: 12/13/2010
Posts: 1,177
Are there any free frosh events that you don't have to pay for? It's expensive and I skipped out on some events during my frosh week but overall I'm glad I paid for it. I made some automatic friends in rez (my suitemates) but didn't know anyone in my program until Faculty Day, and those were the people I sat next to in class during the first week of school. It was nice to go to my first couple of lectures having someone to talk to in class.
McMaster Bachelor of Health Sciences 2011
U of Guelph-OVC Doctor of Veterinary Medicine 2015
kraken
#2 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 3:44:58 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President




Joined: 11/28/2010
Posts: 830
it is not a good idea not to attend. two years later 90% of my university friends are people I met in frosh. but whatever... like inthemaking said, come to the free stuff. (clubs day, concert, clubbing and so forth, but you probably won't be able to go to much stuff at your college/faculty)
University of Toronto (Trinity College)
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Psychology, questionable graduating year
kraken
#3 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 4:02:53 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President




Joined: 11/28/2010
Posts: 830
there might be an "academic orientation" where you get study tips, meet some academic dons and so forth. But nothing necessary really.

p.s. what college/faculty are you in, if you don't mind my asking?
University of Toronto (Trinity College)
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Psychology, questionable graduating year
kraken
#4 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 4:12:25 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President




Joined: 11/28/2010
Posts: 830
ok I don't know much about their frosh... there is probably an academic orientation though. not sure if you can get in without having registered for frosh though, but you can try. guessing you can find a frosh schedule on their website somewhere.
University of Toronto (Trinity College)
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Psychology, questionable graduating year
ARMY101
#5 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 4:23:58 PM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
Frosh is a waste of time. Take your own personal tour of campus and go find a job, and work to establish yourself. Frosh is just a huge drug/drunk fest which is expensive and counter-productive.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
Zion
#6 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 9:12:43 PM
Rank: Student Body President




Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 1,288
Xiaohaha wrote:
I'm extremely solitary and am not that interested in making friends.

................................
wat y
Queen's 15
OscarUK
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 6:21:12 AM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 240
Xiaohaha wrote:


Ah okay, thanks for your input. I'm extremely solitary and am not that interested in making friends. Are there any academic reasons why I should go to frosh? Would I be missing out on any class-related info?


Is this some sort of sick joke
McGill - Arts

samwise575
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:48:54 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 5/22/2011
Posts: 44
Xiaohaha wrote:
ARMY101 wrote:
Frosh is a waste of time. Take your own personal tour of campus and go find a job, and work to establish yourself. Frosh is just a huge drug/drunk fest which is expensive and counter-productive.


not sure if trolling


He's not trolling, that's his actual opinion. He's quite the character.
Xiaohaha
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 1:00:45 PM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
OscarUK wrote:
Xiaohaha wrote:


Ah okay, thanks for your input. I'm extremely solitary and am not that interested in making friends. Are there any academic reasons why I should go to frosh? Would I be missing out on any class-related info?


Is this some sort of sick joke


Zion wrote:
Xiaohaha wrote:
I'm extremely solitary and am not that interested in making friends.

................................
wat y


Why do you prefer to have a social life?

Personally I think the vast majority of people around me are uninteresting. In fact, sometimes I can't help but think that deep down most people are just automatons, incapable of independent thought whatsoever. The astounding number of people who identify with Christianity (or any religion in general) certainly reinforces my hypothesis.

When I used to hang out with 'friends' I found myself so completely bored with their drab and mundane activities I couldn't help but wonder if I could be doing something more interesting with my time, and eventually I drifted more and more towards self-imposed isolation.

To each his own, I guess?
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
kraken
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 2:19:09 PM
Rank: Student Body Vice-President




Joined: 11/28/2010
Posts: 830
army thinks that because the students at his school were depraved addicts, those at other schools are as well.

Xio, I could be wrong but maybe you just need to find more interesting (and non-religious) friends? what do you do with your spare time that's more interesting btw?
University of Toronto (Trinity College)
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Psychology, questionable graduating year
OscarUK
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:58:24 PM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 240
Xiaohaha wrote:


Why do you prefer to have a social life?

Personally I think the vast majority of people around me are uninteresting. In fact, sometimes I can't help but think that deep down most people are just automatons, incapable of independent thought whatsoever. The astounding number of people who identify with Christianity (or any religion in general) certainly reinforces my hypothesis.

When I used to hang out with 'friends' I found myself so completely bored with their drab and mundane activities I couldn't help but wonder if I could be doing something more interesting with my time, and eventually I drifted more and more towards self-imposed isolation.

To each his own, I guess?


This is university; you will meet people from all sorts backgrounds, areas of the globe, social classes, religions, interests and socio-political spectrums and ideologies... all I'm saying is that you will be missing out. Being around the same people through school can become monotonous i am sure (i never minded but meh), but if you pass up the chance to explore and diversify with new people at university because of some ego-centric desire for solitude just because you weren't blown away by people at your old school it would be obtuse beyond belief.

just my 2 cents.
McGill - Arts

OscarUK
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 6:04:52 PM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 240
ARMY101 wrote:
Frosh is a waste of time. Take your own personal tour of campus and go find a job, and work to establish yourself. Frosh is just a huge drug/drunk fest which is expensive and counter-productive.


Yeah you're right... make the most of the last 3-4 years of your life you have free before beginning work 9-5 until retirement, by getting a job.

And while you're at it don't you DARE do anything enjoyable/new/fun/different/spontaneous.
McGill - Arts

ARMY101
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 6:22:47 PM
Rank: Grand Poobah


Joined: 3/3/2010
Posts: 19,630
OscarUK wrote:
ARMY101 wrote:
Frosh is a waste of time. Take your own personal tour of campus and go find a job, and work to establish yourself. Frosh is just a huge drug/drunk fest which is expensive and counter-productive.


Yeah you're right... make the most of the last 3-4 years of your life you have free before beginning work 9-5 until retirement, by getting a job.

And while you're at it don't you DARE do anything enjoyable/new/fun/different/spontaneous.

Not what I said at all.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
Zion
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:59:25 PM
Rank: Student Body President




Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 1,288
Xiaohaha wrote:
Why do you prefer to have a social life?

Personally I think the vast majority of people around me are uninteresting. In fact, sometimes I can't help but think that deep down most people are just automatons, incapable of independent thought whatsoever. The astounding number of people who identify with Christianity (or any religion in general) certainly reinforces my hypothesis.

When I used to hang out with 'friends' I found myself so completely bored with their drab and mundane activities I couldn't help but wonder if I could be doing something more interesting with my time, and eventually I drifted more and more towards self-imposed isolation.

To each his own, I guess?

Wow.

I sincerely apologize that nobody meets your standards. I'm sure that ridiculously immature and disgustingly egotistical disposition will serve you very well in university/life.

jk, you'll die alone. But you sound like a pretty thrilling guy yourself.
Queen's 15
OscarUK
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 3:34:16 AM
Rank: Senior Student




Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 240
ARMY101 wrote:

Not what I said at all.


I am quite clearly exaggerating, congratulations for spotting that.

However labelling Frosh (or any social public event) as a "drinks and drugs fest" is frankly hilarious. If you use that as an excuse for not attending you are;

1) too weak a person not to bow to peer pressure and so believe that anywhere you go you will be forced to take class a drugs
2) a boring, lonely person
3) have some other reason you are trying to hide for not going

If you don't want to drink or take drugs, don't. But DO NOT try and use that as an excuse for not being social/having fun; it's pathetic.
McGill - Arts

monkey245
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:41:03 AM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 4/25/2011
Posts: 18
I don't share the OP's reasons (I second Zion's post)... but for the benefit of nicer people who are wondering about this, I decided not to do frosh. It looked like fun in a way but it's not really my thing. I'd rather spend the time and money checking out the campus/area by myself. So just do what you want. Frosh doesn't have to be a drunkfest, and skipping it doesn't have to make you a friendless loser (or so I hope). At my college the academic orientation is free and U of T has the kickstart program, so you won't miss out on academic stuff either way.

Trinity College 2015
Phase
#17 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 12:27:20 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 1/18/2011
Posts: 117
It is relative. It may be a good idea for extroverted people that are looking to meet new friends and party, but it may be a waste of time for us introverts. I am definitely not planning to go.
UTSG Physics/CS - 2015.
Phase
#18 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:27:33 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 1/18/2011
Posts: 117
OscarUK wrote:
Xiaohaha wrote:


Ah okay, thanks for your input. I'm extremely solitary and am not that interested in making friends. Are there any academic reasons why I should go to frosh? Would I be missing out on any class-related info?


Is this some sort of sick joke

Why would it be a sick joke? He actually sounds like an ambitious and serious student, unlike the majority of college students that choose useless majors such as communications just so they can party away the next few years. If anything, that is the "sick joke".
UTSG Physics/CS - 2015.
Phase
#19 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:31:23 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 1/18/2011
Posts: 117
Zion wrote:

Wow.

I sincerely apologize that nobody meets your standards. I'm sure that ridiculously immature and disgustingly egotistical disposition will serve you very well in university/life.

jk, you'll die alone. But you sound like a pretty thrilling guy yourself.

Never thought you would make a post full of so much fail, I just lost a lot of respect for you.

He is not being immature or egotistical for not wanting friends, how on earth did you even infer that? Are you trying to play the armchair psychologist, now? He just sounds like he is serious about his studies and does not want any distractions, which is admirable.
UTSG Physics/CS - 2015.
mvplayur
#20 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 10:17:04 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 12/12/2010
Posts: 102
Phase wrote:
Zion wrote:

Wow.

I sincerely apologize that nobody meets your standards. I'm sure that ridiculously immature and disgustingly egotistical disposition will serve you very well in university/life.

jk, you'll die alone. But you sound like a pretty thrilling guy yourself.

Never thought you would make a post full of so much fail, I just lost a lot of respect for you.

He is not being immature or egotistical for not wanting friends, how on earth did you even infer that? Are you trying to play the armchair psychologist, now? He just sounds like he is serious about his studies and does not want any distractions, which is admirable.


Shut up.
University of Western Ontario - BMOS + Ivey AEO - Class of 2015
3 Pages 123>
Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.