Browse Our Top Categories

HELP GRADE 12 and University CRISIS :( Options ▼
mndhoxy
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:28:18 AM

I want to study the Concurrent Teacher Education(BED) program at York university!! I do not know if I should take co-op again? I already had it in grade 11 but teaching is a career that I would like to pursue in the future therefore I need advice weather I should take it again! My weakness is Math and the only thing I can take is Data Management which frankly speaking I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE because I know for a fact that because of this course my average will drop I rather take Accounting then take Math!!! But our guidance counselor told us that we need ENG4U and 5U or M courses so my only options are to take all the social sciences.

NOW MY QUESTION IS:

-Should I take co-op again? (Will York look at my experience at a school even though it was an open course)
-Do I need Math in grade 12
- Should I just take Accounting instead of Math
- Or should I take Math in Summer School

Additional Details
Co-op- Cooperative education (this is a program that we have at our school that means a student gets to choose the career field they want to go in and have a 4 month experience. So my placement was at a school where I helped a grade 4/5 split class with their work and I even got to teach them.

I took Mixed Math in grade 11 and I passed with a 69 average

What I am planning on taking in grade 12

English
Writer's craft
World History West and the World
Accounting
Art
Design and Publishing
Math (Maybe)
Co-op(Maybe)
ktel
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:22:42 AM

Read this: http://edu.yorku.ca/bed/...concurrent_brochure.pdf

So you don't need math if you can get into a York program without math. You do want a really high average.

Specifically read: "Selection is based on grade point average, related age-specific experience (as a classroom volunteer, coach, camp counsellor etc.), a personal statement, an interview and two letters of reference"

So your classroom experience is totally relevant. You don't NEED to do it through co-op though and if you need another U course, then drop co-op
Viking21
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:40:00 AM

get all of your courses done. Get your average high enough for the cut off. Take easy courses and courses you know you will enjoy. Sometimes taking a really easy course isn't the best thing...yes u'll get a good mark but those 4 months will be sooooo boring...but having one boring class in a semester isn't that bad.

GOOD LUCK
Wilfrid Laurier: Honours Business Administration with Co-op Option

Class of 2016

ark1227
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:20:31 PM

mndhoxy wrote:
-Should I take co-op again? (Will York look at my experience at a school even though it was an open course)

Co-op is an open course, therefore it will not be looked at by universities

I highly suggest taking at least one math in grade 12, even if it's just data management

I highly discourage summer school, especially for math, because you are dedicating half your summer,not to mention that you aren't always learning the full material. There's also a lot of stress involved with that.

DeGroote School of Business - Business I (Finance)

Graduating Class of 2016

Grade 12 Top 6 Average - 86%

DeGroote Q&A - Ask Me Anything [Thread]
TurtleJesus
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:00:39 PM

I believe many schools have an IDC4U course for peer tutoring so it would count for universities and it would count as experience.
KathleenYu
#6 Posted : Monday, December 09, 2013 11:22:10 PM

ark1227 wrote:
mndhoxy wrote:

Co-op is an open course, therefore it will not be looked at by universities

I highly suggest taking at least one math in grade 12, even if it's just data management

I highly discourage summer school, especially for math, because you are dedicating half your summer,not to mention that you aren't always learning the full material. There's also a lot of stress involved with that.

I heard more about this McMaster University they saying they are great!cheers cheers
“It is a pity that doing one's best does not always answer.”
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
Conversation Jump