Browse Our Top Categories

44 Pages «<3233343536>»
Hey! Anyone with OSAP Questions Read Here First! Options ▼
moemeh
#661 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 3:29:24 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 3
Hey Guys,
I was hoping that one of you could help me with this.
I am a 2nd year graduate student at Ryerson univerity. I got the maximum funding last year from osap and this year was supposed to get almost the same. The only thing was waiting for friggen Ryerson to approve my enrollment. Since I took all my required courses (5) in last year, I din hv to take any courses this year. So, I was just enrolled w/o taking any courses. I should mention that, in graduate, he tuition is a term-based and no matter how many courses you re enrolled in, you ll still pay the same amount. Anyways, I was trying to take some extra courses just for my own good, though due to my past due balance, my account got blocked which resulted in me not taking any course, which is still good as Im still enrolled.
So, after 3 weeks of waiting my status on OSAP says that Im not entitled to get any funding right after what Ryerson has said to them. So, I was hoping if you guys know who I should talk to regarding this, as Im sure they still think I wont need any funding since I havent taken any courses. The school is not much of a help as they dont respond to osap related question. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Moe
vincejai
#662 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 4:23:45 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 1
How long will it take for them to deposit the money into my account, after I hand in my MSFAA form to the post office?

Thanks
Andrew3012
#663 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 7:02:38 PM
Rank: Frosh




Joined: 7/29/2012
Posts: 10
Looks like school finally confirmed my enrolment and OSAP released my funding...
Now just have to wait a week before the money gets deposited into my account...
And yes, life is unfair, get over it.
THISguy01
#664 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 7:47:09 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/17/2012
Posts: 11
moemeh wrote:
Hey Guys,
I was hoping that one of you could help me with this.
I am a 2nd year graduate student at Ryerson univerity. I got the maximum funding last year from osap and this year was supposed to get almost the same. The only thing was waiting for friggen Ryerson to approve my enrollment. Since I took all my required courses (5) in last year, I din hv to take any courses this year. So, I was just enrolled w/o taking any courses. I should mention that, in graduate, he tuition is a term-based and no matter how many courses you re enrolled in, you ll still pay the same amount. Anyways, I was trying to take some extra courses just for my own good, though due to my past due balance, my account got blocked which resulted in me not taking any course, which is still good as Im still enrolled.
So, after 3 weeks of waiting my status on OSAP says that Im not entitled to get any funding right after what Ryerson has said to them. So, I was hoping if you guys know who I should talk to regarding this, as Im sure they still think I wont need any funding since I havent taken any courses. The school is not much of a help as they dont respond to osap related question. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Moe


To be honest I don't think there is anyone else you can talk to, only for the simple reason that you have reached the maximum that OSAP can give you without even taking courses substantial to you. If you took all the required courses last year and dont need to take anymore courses this year why are you trying to get osap? it seems like your trying to freeload. Although yes you are enrolled youre not actually studying anything actually needed for your program whatever it may be. It says you are not entitled because say you were in debt, the fact that your'e adding to the debt for a not so needed reason---they will not approve or release any funding. Really the only thing you can do is appeal the decision on the basis that you absolutely NEED these course. Not because you just WANT to.

You know what I mean?
THISguy01
#665 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 7:53:57 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/17/2012
Posts: 11
vincejai wrote:
How long will it take for them to deposit the money into my account, after I hand in my MSFAA form to the post office?

Thanks



First you have to submit the MSFAA will take 2 buisness days to process
Second your school needs to confirm your enrollment to osap which could take another 5-6 buisness days just depending on how backlogged your school is.
Third after osap receives confirmation its 1 business day to show up on the site
Fourth 2 buisness days to be passed and confirmed/release through the NSLS
Five once relesed they say 5-10 buisness days but usually its quicker than that

So say you handed in your agreement today You could expect money anywhere from Oct 10-18

but say your school is super quick at confirming your enrollment you could have money in your bank as early as October 4th
moemeh
#666 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 8:06:34 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 3
THISguy01 wrote:
moemeh wrote:
Hey Guys,
I was hoping that one of you could help me with this.
I am a 2nd year graduate student at Ryerson univerity. I got the maximum funding last year from osap and this year was supposed to get almost the same. The only thing was waiting for friggen Ryerson to approve my enrollment. Since I took all my required courses (5) in last year, I din hv to take any courses this year. So, I was just enrolled w/o taking any courses. I should mention that, in graduate, he tuition is a term-based and no matter how many courses you re enrolled in, you ll still pay the same amount. Anyways, I was trying to take some extra courses just for my own good, though due to my past due balance, my account got blocked which resulted in me not taking any course, which is still good as Im still enrolled.
So, after 3 weeks of waiting my status on OSAP says that Im not entitled to get any funding right after what Ryerson has said to them. So, I was hoping if you guys know who I should talk to regarding this, as Im sure they still think I wont need any funding since I havent taken any courses. The school is not much of a help as they dont respond to osap related question. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Moe


To be honest I don't think there is anyone else you can talk to, only for the simple reason that you have reached the maximum that OSAP can give you without even taking courses substantial to you. If you took all the required courses last year and dont need to take anymore courses this year why are you trying to get osap? it seems like your trying to freeload. Although yes you are enrolled youre not actually studying anything actually needed for your program whatever it may be. It says you are not entitled because say you were in debt, the fact that your'e adding to the debt for a not so needed reason---they will not approve or release any funding. Really the only thing you can do is appeal the decision on the basis that you absolutely NEED these course. Not because you just WANT to.

You know what I mean?



The problem is they think the same way as you do and don't realize that in the 2nd year I need to work on my research and thesis, which make me go to school everyday. Also, I wouldn't add more loan to my pile of debt if I didn't need this money to pay for my tuition. I would even ask for less money, but they only offer maximum funding for graduate. I also mention again that, tuition is term based and not course-based and also the minimum required time to graduate from my program is 2 years.
THISguy01
#667 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 10:59:47 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/17/2012
Posts: 11
moemeh wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:
moemeh wrote:
Hey Guys,
I was hoping that one of you could help me with this.
I am a 2nd year graduate student at Ryerson univerity. I got the maximum funding last year from osap and this year was supposed to get almost the same. The only thing was waiting for friggen Ryerson to approve my enrollment. Since I took all my required courses (5) in last year, I din hv to take any courses this year. So, I was just enrolled w/o taking any courses. I should mention that, in graduate, he tuition is a term-based and no matter how many courses you re enrolled in, you ll still pay the same amount. Anyways, I was trying to take some extra courses just for my own good, though due to my past due balance, my account got blocked which resulted in me not taking any course, which is still good as Im still enrolled.
So, after 3 weeks of waiting my status on OSAP says that Im not entitled to get any funding right after what Ryerson has said to them. So, I was hoping if you guys know who I should talk to regarding this, as Im sure they still think I wont need any funding since I havent taken any courses. The school is not much of a help as they dont respond to osap related question. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Moe


To be honest I don't think there is anyone else you can talk to, only for the simple reason that you have reached the maximum that OSAP can give you without even taking courses substantial to you. If you took all the required courses last year and dont need to take anymore courses this year why are you trying to get osap? it seems like your trying to freeload. Although yes you are enrolled youre not actually studying anything actually needed for your program whatever it may be. It says you are not entitled because say you were in debt, the fact that your'e adding to the debt for a not so needed reason---they will not approve or release any funding. Really the only thing you can do is appeal the decision on the basis that you absolutely NEED these course. Not because you just WANT to.

You know what I mean?



The problem is they think the same way as you do and don't realize that in the 2nd year I need to work on my research and thesis, which make me go to school everyday. Also, I wouldn't add more loan to my pile of debt if I didn't need this money to pay for my tuition. I would even ask for less money, but they only offer maximum funding for graduate. I also mention again that, tuition is term based and not course-based and also the minimum required time to graduate from my program is 2 years.


You asked a question, I was suggesting what you could possibly do..... To say they think the same way that I do..I'm simply going off of facts laid out on the site thats all i was saying. Yes it is term based but there is also a section when you apply for osap that you say what percentage of coarseload you are taking no matter what and in your case its 0 because youre taking no courses just thesis work. Developing a thesis is not coarseload to osap that is what im trying to say. No need to get offended. But really you just answered your own question in that last sentence by saying the minimum is 2 years, and in the eyes of osap or NSLS what you were required to take was done last year. I would write a letter explaining your situation to NSLS, appeal the decision and just let them know what you need the funding for and make it sound extremeley crucial. Its worth a shot! colors
Ben31
#668 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 10:35:10 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/10/2012
Posts: 14
Alright so OSAP released the first part of my funds (around 3k) on September 18. However, I ended up receiving $77 on September 21 (LOL).

Is this normal?
durian
#669 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:02:15 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 7/17/2012
Posts: 144
Ben31 wrote:
Alright so OSAP released the first part of my funds (around 3k) on September 18. However, I ended up receiving $77 on September 21 (LOL).

Is this normal?


Yes, it's normal.
Aeneles
#670 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 3:27:58 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/22/2012
Posts: 1
Alright, so I applied for OSAP in June and everything went according to plan, stating i will receive approx ~$7000, and all that was required was confirmation of my enrolment.

A couple days ago my enrolment was confirmed but I just checked the OSAP page and NOW it says "based on the information provided, it has been determined that you have adequate resources...therefore, no OSAP funding will be released"

I assume this is just a glitch? Because up until now there were zero problems with my application and I was told I could expect my money mid to late September. I've contact my university about this but don't expect a response this weekend so any help is appreciated
moemeh
#671 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 3:37:59 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 3
THISguy01 wrote:
moemeh wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:
moemeh wrote:
Hey Guys,
I was hoping that one of you could help me with this.
I am a 2nd year graduate student at Ryerson univerity. I got the maximum funding last year from osap and this year was supposed to get almost the same. The only thing was waiting for friggen Ryerson to approve my enrollment. Since I took all my required courses (5) in last year, I din hv to take any courses this year. So, I was just enrolled w/o taking any courses. I should mention that, in graduate, he tuition is a term-based and no matter how many courses you re enrolled in, you ll still pay the same amount. Anyways, I was trying to take some extra courses just for my own good, though due to my past due balance, my account got blocked which resulted in me not taking any course, which is still good as Im still enrolled.
So, after 3 weeks of waiting my status on OSAP says that Im not entitled to get any funding right after what Ryerson has said to them. So, I was hoping if you guys know who I should talk to regarding this, as Im sure they still think I wont need any funding since I havent taken any courses. The school is not much of a help as they dont respond to osap related question. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Moe


To be honest I don't think there is anyone else you can talk to, only for the simple reason that you have reached the maximum that OSAP can give you without even taking courses substantial to you. If you took all the required courses last year and dont need to take anymore courses this year why are you trying to get osap? it seems like your trying to freeload. Although yes you are enrolled youre not actually studying anything actually needed for your program whatever it may be. It says you are not entitled because say you were in debt, the fact that your'e adding to the debt for a not so needed reason---they will not approve or release any funding. Really the only thing you can do is appeal the decision on the basis that you absolutely NEED these course. Not because you just WANT to.

You know what I mean?



The problem is they think the same way as you do and don't realize that in the 2nd year I need to work on my research and thesis, which make me go to school everyday. Also, I wouldn't add more loan to my pile of debt if I didn't need this money to pay for my tuition. I would even ask for less money, but they only offer maximum funding for graduate. I also mention again that, tuition is term based and not course-based and also the minimum required time to graduate from my program is 2 years.


You asked a question, I was suggesting what you could possibly do..... To say they think the same way that I do..I'm simply going off of facts laid out on the site thats all i was saying. Yes it is term based but there is also a section when you apply for osap that you say what percentage of coarseload you are taking no matter what and in your case its 0 because youre taking no courses just thesis work. Developing a thesis is not coarseload to osap that is what im trying to say. No need to get offended. But really you just answered your own question in that last sentence by saying the minimum is 2 years, and in the eyes of osap or NSLS what you were required to take was done last year. I would write a letter explaining your situation to NSLS, appeal the decision and just let them know what you need the funding for and make it sound extremeley crucial. Its worth a shot! colors


I understand what you were trying to say and to be honest I wasnt trying to insult you or anything. Writing an appeal letter would probably be the best idea now. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Ben31
#672 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 10:58:13 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/10/2012
Posts: 14
Wow, that's weird...

So the $77 I got from OSAP was the left over of the loan and the rest of the money went into my tuition, like $3k.

How come the $3k didn't go through my bank account?!
THISguy01
#673 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 12:10:11 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/17/2012
Posts: 11
Ben31 wrote:
Wow, that's weird...

So the $77 I got from OSAP was the left over of the loan and the rest of the money went into my tuition, like $3k.

How come the $3k didn't go through my bank account?!



When was your funding release from national student loans and when did it go into your account?
Ben31
#674 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 5:04:58 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/10/2012
Posts: 14
THISguy01 wrote:

When was your funding release from national student loans and when did it go into your account?


OSAP released it on the 18th and the 3k went directly to my tuition on September 20.
The $77 came into my bank account on the 21st.

Is there an option to make the whole amount go directly into my bank account?
THISguy01
#675 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 5:44:00 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/17/2012
Posts: 11
Ben31 wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:

When was your funding release from national student loans and when did it go into your account?


OSAP released it on the 18th and the 3k went directly to my tuition on September 20.
The $77 came into my bank account on the 21st.

Is there an option to make the whole amount go directly into my bank account?



Thats pretty quick for it to be deposited into your account. :)

Yes there was an option to make the whole amount go into your account when you applied for osap, im not sure if you can unauthorize it for next semester but it's worth a try to call in and directly ask.
Ben31
#676 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:53:13 AM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/10/2012
Posts: 14
THISguy01 wrote:
Ben31 wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:

When was your funding release from national student loans and when did it go into your account?


OSAP released it on the 18th and the 3k went directly to my tuition on September 20.
The $77 came into my bank account on the 21st.

Is there an option to make the whole amount go directly into my bank account?



Thats pretty quick for it to be deposited into your account. :)

Yes there was an option to make the whole amount go into your account when you applied for osap, im not sure if you can unauthorize it for next semester but it's worth a try to call in and directly ask.


Oh, maybe that's why...

Thanks THISguy01. Which one should I contact though? OSAP or the financial aid office at my university?
durian
#677 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:07:55 PM
Rank: Senior Student


Joined: 7/17/2012
Posts: 144
Ben31 wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:
Ben31 wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:

When was your funding release from national student loans and when did it go into your account?


OSAP released it on the 18th and the 3k went directly to my tuition on September 20.
The $77 came into my bank account on the 21st.

Is there an option to make the whole amount go directly into my bank account?



Thats pretty quick for it to be deposited into your account. :)

Yes there was an option to make the whole amount go into your account when you applied for osap, im not sure if you can unauthorize it for next semester but it's worth a try to call in and directly ask.


Oh, maybe that's why...

Thanks THISguy01. Which one should I contact though? OSAP or the financial aid office at my university?



I could be wrong, but to my best of knowledge most schools have agreement with OSAP to pay off tuition first and whatever remains goes to your account. Your school should be able to tell you if such agreement is in place or you should be able to find that info on your schools financial aid website.
Ben31
#678 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:13:01 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/10/2012
Posts: 14
durian wrote:
Ben31 wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:
Ben31 wrote:
THISguy01 wrote:

When was your funding release from national student loans and when did it go into your account?


OSAP released it on the 18th and the 3k went directly to my tuition on September 20.
The $77 came into my bank account on the 21st.

Is there an option to make the whole amount go directly into my bank account?



Thats pretty quick for it to be deposited into your account. :)

Yes there was an option to make the whole amount go into your account when you applied for osap, im not sure if you can unauthorize it for next semester but it's worth a try to call in and directly ask.


Oh, maybe that's why...

Thanks THISguy01. Which one should I contact though? OSAP or the financial aid office at my university?



I could be wrong, but to my best of knowledge most schools have agreement with OSAP to pay off tuition first and whatever remains goes to your account. Your school should be able to tell you if such agreement is in place or you should be able to find that info on your schools financial aid website.


True. Same thing happened to my friend but only difference was he didn't get a single cent into his bank account.
Gummo79
#679 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:23:48 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/25/2012
Posts: 1
I have talked to 6 or 7 different people about my OSAP at NSLSC over the past 4 weeks. I have gotten 6 or 7 different answers about when i will recieve my funding direct deposit. The only thing they say to me that is similar is that it is "being released today". every time i call they say the same thing...i am beginning to think they are trained to tell people "its being released today." But one guy said i will get it in 48 hours, one woman said 5-10 business days, another said 6 days, another 3-7....well it's been almost 4 weeks! Today they told me because I was on the repayment assitance program that it will take longer. Jeepers...
Dawkinz
#680 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:36:34 PM
Rank: Frosh


Joined: 9/27/2012
Posts: 1
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding OSAP reassessing my account and giving me less than half of what they originally quoted me. Early thanks for anyone that lends advice.

I applied for OSAP this year. The last time I applied for OSAP was Winter 2012. When I applied this year, I was estimated to get approximately $9,500, coming from a low-income family and taking 10 courses for the whole year.

Today I got an email from OSAP saying that important information was available on my account and to check.

So I logged into my account and I went to my Funding Summary and I saw that what used to be $9,500 decreased to now $3,058.
So it looks like they've reassessed my account and feel that I only deserve $3,000. My tuition for the whole year will total at LEAST $6,000, so this doesn't even cover the cost of my tuition (let alone books that I still need to buy, even though it's the fourth week of school!)

I am looking to appeal this, but I want to make sure that I have the grounds too.

I currently live with my single mom who is unemployed and has 1 other child who is kindergarden. I was required to submit her Notice of Assessment for 2011 to OSAP when she was making around $24,000/year

The only reason I think they lowered the amount I'm eligible for was because I did work during the summer. I made approximately $4,500 over the summer (which I did report in my OSAP application). I know they expect me to spend all of the money I earned during the summer on my tuition for this year, but I owed my school $3,000 for a previous semester. So out of the $4,500 that I made during work, $3,000 went towards a previous semester in which I DIDN'T collect OSAP.

Is there any way I can appeal this and get more money? This is really important.

Thanks a lot guys.

PS. I attend Ryerson University
44 Pages «<3233343536>»
Conversation Jump  

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Copyright © 2003-2014 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2014 StudentAwards All rights reserved.