Browse Our Top Categories

Undergraduate Architecture at UBC and Dalhousie? Options ▼
lexk
#1 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 1:33:19 PM

I wasn't even aware these were options until today, so bare with me. I don't know much.

First of all, I know you're supposed to have 2 years of university completed before you attend but what else do you need? I know for Dalhousie you need a portfolio, but what about UBC?

Also:
How do they rank compared to Waterloo, Ryerson and McGill?
Are they just as competitive as the above to get into?
How well recognized are they?
What kind of degree do you get? Bachelor of Architectural Science?
Can you enter straight into your Master's of Architecture after?
Do you have to do your Master's at UBC/Dalhousie, or can it be elsewhere?
Do you have to do your first two years at UBC/Dalhousie, or can it be elsewhere?

Answers to literally any of these would be helpful, or even just general info. I just want to be fully aware of all of my options.

Thank you!
Applied to:
McGill Physical Science: ACCEPTED
York Space Engineering: ACCEPTED

Waterloo Architecture
U of T Science
xzacherz
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:43:16 PM

Sorry for the late response, but I just came across this topic today and maybe it might help someone out.

First off, UBC is a graduate program only.

Ranked, for undergraduate programs, would be McGill, Waterloo, Ryerson, Carleton, and so on. In order. These programs from hardest to easiest to get into (not that any program is easy to get accepted).

McGill is very much recognized, as well as UW and also Ryerson, although it's a fairly new program.

The degrees you get vary from school to school. Most get a BAS (Bachelor of Architectural Studies). Ryerson students receive a BArchSc and UofT students receive a BA.

You can go straight into a Masters program, but you have to apply again with a portfolio and interviews etc. Although I've heard of people who have taken history (BA) and got into UBC for architecture (Masters).

You can get your masters at any university that offers a masters program, but to be a licensed architect you must go to an accredited school.

Hope I helped.

Please be aware that these are my personal opinion, from hours and hours of (online) research.
AStarr5
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 09, 2013 11:05:30 PM

I was in Halifax over Thanksgiving so I took a tour of Dal's architecture building, so I have some answers for you!

In regards to your first question, Dalhousie accepts about 75-85 students every year, so it's pretty competitive, but I'm not sure how they compare to other schools in this aspect. I know that they only care about your university marks (minimum B-, or 2.5 GPA), not your high school marks, so you don't need to worry so much about those (you do, however need gr. 12 math/science to get into the university math/science courses you need to have to get in). The portfolios will be more competitive since everyone applying has an extra 2+ years on any high school student, so there's that.

Secondly, your undergraduate degree gets you a Bachelors of Environmental Design Studies, followed by your MArch if you make it into/choose to go into the masters program. The program is designed for you to go into the masters program after you finish your undergrad, but you do have to have a certain grade level for you to continue on, so not everyone makes it through, but I believe most do.

I know that if you want to come to Dal just to do the masters program you have to take courses in the winter semester before and then apply. In terms of going to another school for the MArch, I don't really think that should be a problem, but I would check with admissions at other schools first.

And finally, to answer your final question, no, your first two years don't have to be at Dalhousie. They encourage you to study abroad and take a variety of courses, but you must take "a full-year course (or two half-year courses) in a mathematics or science subject that requires Grade 12 math as a prerequisite", "a full-year course (or two half-year courses) in a humanities or social science subject", and a "a half-year course that emphasizes English writing skills". The one really really important thing to remember is that your first two years CANNOT BE IN ANOTHER ARCHITECTURE PROGRAM This is because they are required to have 40% of your credits be in non-architectural courses, so the first two years is for your to get those out of the way so you can be free to just focus on architecture and design courses in your BEDS.

I hope I helped to answer some of your questions
Here's the website, http://architectureandpl...hitecture/prospective/, which has basically all the information you could need on this program, and if there's something missing, you can email their admissions office (the address should be there) and they should answer them.

Good luck!
OCAD Environmental Design - Accepted
Ryerson Architectural Science - Rejected
Waterloo Planning - Accepted
Dalhousie Architecture
Conversation Jump