Browse Our Top Categories

5 Pages «<2345>
What the hell is up with waterloo? Options ▼
arviny
#61 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:44:35 PM

To OP,
UW really likes to adjust averages. Got in with ~86% to all my programs early admission, EC's were good.
UTSG Computer Science UC - 2015 (PEY 2016)

6/6
Toronto St. George - Computer Science Accepted
Toronto St. George - Electrical and Computer Engineering Accepted
Toronto Scarborough- Computer Science co-opAccepted
Waterloo - Computer Science co-op Accepted
Waterloo - Software Engineering co-op Accepted
York - Computer Science Accepted
YourAvgKid
#62 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:30:38 PM

My friend had a 90% average on the dot with not to many EC's and he recieved an early admission from Waterloo for co-op computer science.

I totally buy into this "easy highschool" thing. How the hell do so many people on these forums have a 90+ average? I go to an all asian competitive high school with about 350 graduates this year. I think it'd be safe to say there are maybe a good 10 that actually have an average of 90+ while taking competitive courses. ( AND NOT INFLATING THEIR MARKS THROUGH NIGHT SCHOOL/SUMMER SCHOOL).

But to be honest I doubt universities actually lower your mark depending on the highschool you attend. I mean most universities hardly care about this.

My friend that goes to PRIVATE school has a 90% average and he got in during March.

Private schools are known to "give" out marks but their are a few legit ones.
jzliu
#63 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:50:05 PM

Just so people know... Waterloo's number of applicants grew drastically this year... Also, the averages that these people apply with made the admission averages go up dramatically... My friend called Waterloo, they said that Math/CA went from 90 to 95, DD went from 85 to 90s... So it wouldn't surprise me when admission requirements for Engineering and CS (VERY VERY VERY competitive programs at waterloo due to its reputation) also increased dramatically...

RandyK wrote:
ROFL Waterloo doesnt give 2 craps about extra-curriculars.

i applied to engineering with an 84% average with more extra-curriculars than all of you combined (trust me on that one) and I still didn't get in...

Don't assume... when you have an awesome application, there's bound to be someone out there with an extraordinary one.
Waterloo Accounting & Financial Management 2016

Impasse
#64 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:09:19 PM

I remember in an interview of mine (not university related), my interviewer had said that a lot of these application-based things are dependent on luck. The person reading your application could just be having a bad day and throw your application in the trash without a second thought. Another person can be having a great day and accept a similar application. No, it's not fair but lots of things in life aren't fair.

I suggest people who didn't get in and feel like they should have gotten in to call UW and appeal their rejection. You have nothing to lose and who knows? They might wait list you if you ask the right people. Otherwise, going to your second choice university isn't that bad. UT, Mcmaster, Western, Queens etc etc are all great universities and I'm sure you'll learn to love whatever Uni you go to.
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
kchung
#65 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:18:41 PM

i was reading this before the application process.
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.../Faq/Faq_Admissions.htm

Quote:
Does the Faculty of Engineering at Waterloo rank high schools?
We do not rank high schools, but we use an adjustment factor based on historical student performance (first-year university average minus final high school average) from a given school, over the past 8 or more years. This helps us to choose applicants with the highest likelihood of success in our program.

How much can the AIF help my application?
The AIF continues to play a significant role in our admission decisions, and every AIF is read. A bonus of up to five per cent can be added to the high school average depending on the level of activity outside the classroom.

What kind of extracurricular activities are you especially interested in?
We're not looking for particular activities because it depends on each student's interests and what is available in that student's community. We're looking for initiative, leadership, time management, people skills, and a range of interests and involvement outside the classroom.

dunno if that helped anyone?
Waterloo SoftEng Class of 2016 (hopefully) -- woohoo!
iRamie
#66 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:01:33 PM

Thank god it's not all about the marks.
Im going to work extra hard next year since i already fcked up this year. I hope waterloo looks at my programming and work experience :\

Edit:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Could it be they got Rejected because of their grade 11 marks?

If you guys don't mind, post your grade 11 marks if you got rejected.
Waterloo Computer Engineering 2017

Waterloo Computer Engineering<-- ACCEPTED
Waterloo Computer Science<-- ACCEPTED
Carleton Software Engineering/Communications Engineering/Computer Science <-- ACCEPTED
McMaster Engineering (Co Op)<-- ACCEPTED
UofT Computer Engineering<-- ACCEPTED
UofT Computer Science<-- ACCEPTED

Comp Sci Avg: 92.3
Comp Eng Avg: 88.7
malionette
#67 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:27:49 PM

Here's something to think about... I got this off the Waterloo website. It's on a page about admissions to Mechatronics Engineering.

Quote:
Individual selection from the high 80s

To me, it seems like the lowest they accepted last year was from the high 80s mark-- their acceptance average is not high 80. I was talking to an Engineering prof at UW and she told me that admission average in engineering faculty was 92 in previous years.

And to those who had a "ton of ECs" or "999+ volunteer hours" who didn't get in: did you consider that UW is looking for students in leadership positions? Yes, giving your time to the community and joining many clubs is fun, but are you a strong leader that brings success to your team?

I'm sure UW sent out rejections for a reason. It may be your marks, the way you wrote your AIF, the contents of your AIF, the highschool you're from... or maybe it's just the competitiveness of your program.
Waterloo - Math & Chartered Accountancy // Accepted & goin'!
Waterloo - Electrical Engineering // Accepted!
Waterloo - Accounting & Financial Management // Accepted!
McMaster - Engineering // Accepted!
University of Toronto - Electrical Engineering // Accepted!
Sky7ar
#68 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:01:48 AM

just 2 cents here, someone might be an international student who pays thrice as much tution fees as others, and waterloo need some extra funds for watever they're up to maybe that new nano building Basketball nah unlikely, or is it?
Heavy risk.... but the priiize

Accepted:
Waterloo - CompSci
Waterloo - NanoEngie (co-op)
dbdudgh
#69 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:14:53 AM

jzliu wrote:
My friend called Waterloo, they said that Math/CA went from 90 to 95, DD went from 85 to 90s...

You mean they picked Math/CAs starting from 95??
dbdudgh
#70 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:16:48 AM

Sky7ar wrote:
just 2 cents here, someone might be an international student who pays thrice as much tution fees as others, and waterloo need some extra funds for watever they're up to maybe that new nano building Basketball nah unlikely, or is it?

If all of that tuition goes to UW and not the government, then it's very likely.
jackcnd
#71 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:38:49 AM

dbdudgh wrote:
jzliu wrote:
My friend called Waterloo, they said that Math/CA went from 90 to 95, DD went from 85 to 90s...

he meant that those will be the admission averages for next year
Waterloo Business Administration / Computer Science Double Degree 2016

Laurier Business Administration / Computer Science Double Degree
Waterloo Computer Science
Waterloo Software Engineering
U of T Computer Science
U of T Computer Engineering
Ryerson Computer Science

Accepted
Waiting
jzliu
#72 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:02:55 AM

jackcnd wrote:
dbdudgh wrote:
jzliu wrote:

he meant that those will be the admission averages for next year

for this year as next year's average is based on this year's admission average... oh... AVERAGE not CUTOFF
Waterloo Accounting & Financial Management 2016

zaidpass
#73 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:48:59 PM

I emailed them and they gave me an alternate to Enviornmental Engineering...not even chemical :(

Thank god UofT was my first choice...
University of Toronto: Engineering Science 1T5

University Applications (5.5/6...screw you Waterloo)
-University of Toronto: Engineering Science (Accepted)
-Schulich School of Business: iBBA (Accepted)
-University of Waterloo: Nanotechnology Engineering (Alternate Offer to Geological Engineering)
-University of Toronto: Rotman Commerce (Accepted)
-Ryerson: Biomedical Engineering (Accepted)

Marks
First Semester average 90% (89% Physics, 86% Advance Fucntion & 95% Core French)
Mid-term 2nd Semester 93.33% (91% Calculus & Vectors, 93% English, 96%Chemistry)
Muirhead11
#74 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:51:51 PM

zaidpass wrote:
I emailed them and they gave me an alternate to Enviornmental Engineering...not even chemical :(

You emailed them asking for an alternate offer? How long did they take to respond?
arung553
#75 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:13:10 PM

For people who got rejected and are pissed off at people who got accepted with lower acceptances, you do have to realize that Waterloo doesn't value all schools equally. If kids from your school in the past have gotten in with high adm averages, and didn't perform as well in university, then they will adjust your marks accordingly.
University of Waterloo Computer Science 2016
immaculatedx
#76 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:16:03 PM

arung553 wrote:
For people who got rejected and are pissed off at people who got accepted with lower acceptances, you do have to realize that Waterloo doesn't value all schools equally. If kids from your school in the past have gotten in with high adm averages, and didn't perform as well in university, then they will adjust your marks accordingly.

+1
UWaterloo Computer Science

AMA
apark17
#77 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:48:49 PM

arung553 wrote:

totally unfair IMO, but i guess its efficient..
Queen's Commerce 2015

High School Liaison Executive Team
KeruiQiu
#78 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:53:15 PM

huh math ca went to 95?

is that the new requirement for that program?
University of Waterloo Honors Mathematics/Chartered Accountancy, Class of 2016.
zaidpass
#79 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:03:28 AM

Muirhead11 wrote:
zaidpass wrote:

You emailed them asking for an alternate offer? How long did they take to respond?

He replied today, and I emailed them on Friday
University of Toronto: Engineering Science 1T5

University Applications (5.5/6...screw you Waterloo)
-University of Toronto: Engineering Science (Accepted)
-Schulich School of Business: iBBA (Accepted)
-University of Waterloo: Nanotechnology Engineering (Alternate Offer to Geological Engineering)
-University of Toronto: Rotman Commerce (Accepted)
-Ryerson: Biomedical Engineering (Accepted)

Marks
First Semester average 90% (89% Physics, 86% Advance Fucntion & 95% Core French)
Mid-term 2nd Semester 93.33% (91% Calculus & Vectors, 93% English, 96%Chemistry)
RSanjif
#80 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:58:03 PM

loyolalax9 wrote:
Stranger wrote:
If you think you should have got in, maybe try calling them to see if they'll reconsider you.

I doubt that will do anything. I've heard of some people calling but idk. I don't think that will change their decision. What's done has been done, maybe mike is right and people should stop complaing, but that doesn't make it right that people got in with low 80's and people with 90's got rejected

Maybe the viewed the people with 80s application before yours. They compared that person's application to the last year's admission average and gave them an acceptance if it was good enough. Maybe they got to yours after all the spots were taken. Like for me, i got into mechanical engineering at waterloo with an 89 but got my 2nd choice at UofT because mech engineering was full.
5 Pages «<2345>
Conversation Jump