Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
SHAD VALLEY 2012 Options ▼
Lefty07
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:02:26 PM

I got an email today... turns out I've been waitlisted. :( Is there any chance I can get in now? Cheryl told me to accept a spot on the list because in the past people have gotten in from it... but honestly, I'm scared.

Did anyone get in?
koreaftw
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:36:17 PM

That's too bad to hear... but I would think that you should be hopeful. What grade are you in currently?

I got in and I'm honestly so glad. I'm trying to understand how the campuses differ and the things they have to offer - does anyone have information on that matter?

Also, I've heard from a UBC Shad Alumni from last year that the program's catered more towards grade 11s. Will the material be too challenging considering I'm in grade 10?
mrhenryyu
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:52:14 PM

Well, don't lose hope. and as koreaftw said, think positively be glad that you're not denied... i guess LOL

As for the UBC information, I haven't heard anything from it, except that one of my grade 10 buds (he's really smart btw.) didn't understand some concepts, especially in physics as some of the speakers are really specialized. He told me the more base foundation of knowledge you have coming in, the more you're gonna get outta this program.
13soccer13
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:06:49 PM

I got waitlisted too. :-( (I didn't think I stood a very good chance though as my teacher only just did the reference...) I am currently a grade 10, so I don't know if I should bother with the waitlist. Would I even get a schloarship or bursary if I was accepted? Do you know when we would find out if we did get a spot? Would you still get a good choice of campus? Also, do you know about how many people got waitlisted?
UBC Kinesiology (Accepted 21/02/14)
Queen's Science (Accepted 20/02/14)
Queen's Engineering (Accepted 20/02/14)
U of T Kinesiology (Accepted 25/03/14)
Western Kinesiology (Accepted 30/01/14)
McGill Arts & Science (Accepted 04/03/14)
McGill Kinesiology (Accepted 04/03/14)
Gaspar
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:34:52 AM

Kind of wondering about the waitlist too.
I'm not sure but out of the 2011 reports, they had about 900 valid applicants with 500 accepted. Does that mean everyone else just gets waitlisted? Does anyone get denied?

Personally, I thought I stood a decent chance with a 93 average with decent references and intensive ECs.
Guess my application wasn't solid enough. Admission must have been tough this year.

Again, to rephrase a question that's already been asked, are scholarships/bursaries available to those waitlisted?
ninja2013
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:12:03 PM

I got waitlisted too. I was wondering if anyone is from BC? My high school did not issue any first term marks as I am in grade 11. The office was only willing to sign a note on my app that due to the teacher job action, no marks are issued. I'm wondering if this may be a factor when looking at my app.
hamster
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:41:21 PM

I received an email yesterday saying that I am accepted:)
Does anyone know about the difference between campuses?
As for the waiting list, I have heard people in the past who was rejected. So I think you should still give it a try~
koreaftw
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:30:17 PM

Ya, I'd think there'd be a clear difference between being wait-listed and being flat out rejected. I've found positivity always gets you somewhere... xP

I would really appreciate firsthand experience from shads who attended the various campuses - what type of academic content will show up, what are some of the enjoyable activities, etc. ?
hqamar
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:11:43 PM

Woohoo. I got my acceptance email yesterday. Which campuses are you guys putting down as your top 3 choices?

These are mine:
1) UBC
2) McMaster
3) Queens

Also, just out of curiosity, where's everyone from? I'm from Mississauga, Ontario.
Speria
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:15:03 PM

I got my package in the mail today :)

Did anyone get a scholarship from Shad? Do they give them out now or do we find out later?
hqamar
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:27:10 PM

Oh cool! What's in the package? I havent gotten mine yet.
Speria
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:47:25 PM

Campus selections, just basic registration details, forms, consent, etc.

Reading it over again, it seems scholarships are already assigned? Oh well, no scholarship for me but I think everyone from Ontario gets the scholarship/bursary. It's quite expensive though :(
13soccer13
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:47:50 PM

Yeah, my average was also a 93%, and I had a lot of extra-curriculars, volunteer experience, etc. I also thought my written stuff was pretty good. My only problem was the reference which I found out later from Cheryl that my teacher never did it... It only just got sent in a couple of weeks ago...

How do they pick people for Shad? I know someone else in my school who is in the same grade, and a French immersion/ IB student, and he got in. My grades and extra-curriculars are overall better, and I can't see my essays or creative page being much worse...

Anyways, I am from Kingston, Ontario.
koreaftw
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:42:49 PM

That really sucks... for me, my teacher actually got an email telling him to send in the reference, and he sent it in a few days past the deadline - but fortunately I got accepted :)

I'm sure the process is similar to how universities would consider applications - have a certain cut-off based on grades/experience, and then the final decisions would come down to the quality of the essay, why shad, and the creative page submitted.

From Markham...or essentially Toronto, Ontario.
Really want to go to UBC, but my parents are only considering within Ontario. The expenses are a bit hefty.
hamster
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:28:28 PM

koreaftw wrote:
That really sucks... for me, my teacher actually got an email telling him to send in the reference, and he sent it in a few days past the deadline - but fortunately I got accepted :)

I'm sure the process is similar to how universities would consider applications - have a certain cut-off based on grades/experience, and then the final decisions would come down to the quality of the essay, why shad, and the creative page submitted.

From Markham...or essentially Toronto, Ontario.
Really want to go to UBC, but my parents are only considering within Ontario. The expenses are a bit hefty.

Hey, I am also from Markham! Which school are you from?
Gaspar
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:16:04 PM

Do people just get flat out rejected?

I've never heard of anyone that's got rejected, although to be fair, those that are rejected probably wouldn't be enthusiastic enough searching for a forum.

I think what happened is that rather than the strength of my application by itself, there were already 4 other people from my school going with way stronger averages. Like, we're talking 97, 98 overall. I was hoping my ECs and application would bring it up but my application probably didn't end up being as great as I projected it to be.

need2succeed
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:09:29 AM

:D I got in too! I'm from Richmond Hill! Can't wait until summer!

But, yes, I know of one girl applying for 2012 who got flat out rejected. I was kind of surprised though, she is relatively smart (not outright genius, but still qualified). Damn, she must have really messed up her application. :S

My best guess is after they accept the first 500, they probably keep the next 100 or so on a waiting list.
I'm certain they don't wait-list everyone.
University of Western Ontario Class of 2016
Medical Sciences (BMSc - Honours) + Scholar's Electives + President's Scholarship

:D Successful year! Here are the details:
:D Applying to enter Fall 2012 with Top 6 Midterm 98.5
✔ [May 09] McMaster HealthSci
✔ [Mar. 01] Toronto EngSci
✔ [Feb. 21] Waterloo NanoEng
✔ [Feb. 20] McGill BioMed
✔ [Jan. 20] Western BioMed + [Apr. 21] Scholar's Electives <3
hqamar
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:38:35 AM

As far as know, it isn't really your mark that gets you in. It's your personality and involvement i.e. basically, the non-academic part of your application.

I've HEARD of people with 88s and 89s getting in. Although I have yet to meet anyone who got in with those marks.

I'm in grade 11.

Something ALL past Shads say is that the activities at all the campuses are almost the same.
So the only reasons anyone would pick one university over the other would be:
Location (like UBC is really close to the beach)
what the campus looks like (again UBC looks much better compared to some of the other campuses; I used to live in Vancouver and it's downright beautiful).
Also you have to keep in mind other things each universities have to offer (like McMaster has it's own nuclear reactor - so one of the activities at that campus HAS to be a visit to the reactor. Same with other universities - they might have one or two activities that are unique just to THAT campus specifically - like some research facility or something).

Hope that helped!
And post your top 3 choices everyone!
DY626
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:41:31 AM

Here are my top 3 choices:
1. UBC
2. McMaster
3. Waterloo
As for location, I'm from Toronto, grade 11.
Also, I'm wondering how they choose which campus you'll attend. Is it completely random?
13soccer13
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:04:29 PM

I just got an e-mail back from Cheryl regarding the waitlist...

"We will not know until mid-March how many accept, which will affect how far we can go into the waiting list to fill the program. I should know more about your chances by the end of March.

Also, in mid-April we have a cutoff date for participants to let us know if they cannot go, which may result in a few more places becoming available. After that date, places would only become available if a student were to withdraw for medical or family emergencies, something which cannot be predicted.

Regarding financial assistance, we did get your bursary request form. At the time a placement is offered, we would review that information and let you know how much support you would qualify for. That way you’d have all of the information needed to decide if you could accept or not."

2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump