Browse Our Top Categories

How do I know if Computer Science is for me? Options ▼
BChun
#1 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 10:42:27 AM

I am debating whether or not I should pursue a career in CS. I did enjoy the class I took this year (I'm in Gr.11) and do like problem solving in general. The other career path I see myself taking is business (accounting or finance). I'm pretty sure my marks wouldn't be suffice for the DD at laurier so there's no way to be able to get into a good program which would possibly provide a taste of both. Anyways basically what I'm looking for is what kind of person goes into the field of CS, and what exactly happens to those who find out that it is not for them?
immaculatedx
#2 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 12:14:40 PM

1. Haven't you posted a gazillion threads on this already? I remember at least responding to 2 of them.

2. Your thought process is soooo wrong man. There isn't a typical "CS student personality profile" that people fit in. That way of thinking is COMPLETELY wrong and if you continue that way, you fail in life utterly. Find something you want to study - be realistic about job demand and etc. and go for it.
UWaterloo Computer Science

AMA
Serllen
#3 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 8:01:57 PM

I think you should watch this video and pay particular attention to it: YouTube Video
It's a Tedx talk held at UW and the speech is given by Larry Smith. I think if you understand the points that the speaker is trying to get across, then you will know whether CS is the right program for you to go into.
maelong
#4 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 11:24:14 PM

wow what's wrong with immaculatedx? all he does is complaining and saying useless stuff?
I also wanted to know if comp sci is really for me.
I heard for comp sci you need to be smart, we all know it's really hard course like studying medicine and law.
for law and medic, if you study hard you would be ok, but for comp sci rather than studying hard you need to be one of those people who know how to use their brain. also things change really fast in comp sci
University of Toronto: Chemical Engineering --- Rejected...was 1st choice
University of Toronto: Computer Science --- Accepted (April 19th)
University of Waterloo: Chemical Engineering --- Accepted (April 7th)
McGill University: Electrical, Computer & Software Engineering --- Accepted. (Mar 12th)
University of Calgary: Engineering--- Accepted. (Mar 13th)
Bscit
#5 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 11:50:31 PM

maelong wrote:
wow what's wrong with immaculatedx? all he does is complaining and saying useless stuff?
I heard for comp sci you need to be smart, we all know it's really hard course like studying medicine and law.
for law and medic, if you study hard you would be ok, but for comp sci rather than studying hard you need to be one of those people who know how to use their brain. also things change really fast in comp sci

Well I would say that Computer Science is easy for most programmers. But if you want
to be distinguished and known compared to the ones who just right code all day for a company, you have to be able to think a lot of critical thinking.
UTSC - Computer Science Coop 2016
North
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:01:49 AM

Bscit wrote:
maelong wrote:

Well I would say that Computer Science is easy for most programmers. But if you want
to be distinguished and known compared to the ones who just right code all day for a company, you have to be able to think a lot of critical thinking.

Computer Science isn't about coding. Yes, there is coding involved, but CS has so much more in theory and problem solving. I found this especially true during first year. One of my best friends is a much better coder than I am and knows way more in general about programming, however, I did better in our CS courses because I didn't focus on writing code. I focused on solving the problem. Focusing on that I believe will help you immensely in CS.

Also, immaculatedx is right. There isn't a specific type of student that will 'like' CS, and even if there were, you shouldn't use that to make decisions. make a decision based on what you enjoy, and what fits for you. Then you can work hard and excel at that. This will work for practically any field.
UW/WLU Math/Business DD - 2016

iliketurtles
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:42:02 AM

maelong wrote:

Are you dumb? He's one of the few people on this forum who actually has been through university, and considering he's a CS major he's probably pretty qualified to say what he wants on the matter.
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
maelong
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:28:02 PM

North wrote:
[quote=Bscit][quote=maelong]wow what's wrong with immaculatedx? all he does is complaining and saying useless stuff?

Computer Science isn't about coding. Yes, there is coding involved, but CS has so much more in theory and problem solving. I found this especially true during first year. One of my best friends is a much better coder than I am and knows way more in general about programming, however, I did better in our CS courses because I didn't focus on writing code. I focused on solving the problem. Focusing on that I believe will help you immensely in CS.

Also, immaculatedx is right. There isn't a specific type of student that will 'like' CS, and even if there were, you shouldn't use that to make decisions. make a decision based on what you enjoy, and what fits for you. Then you can work hard and excel at that. This will work for practically any field.

what is coding?
McGill University: Electrical, Computer & Software Engineering --- Accepted. (Mar 12th)
maelong
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:29:52 PM

iliketurtles wrote:
maelong wrote:

Are you dumb? He's one of the few people on this forum who actually has been through university, and considering he's a CS major he's probably pretty qualified to say what he wants on the matter.

yes i am pretty dumb but i study hard to cover my stupidity
are you dumb? because it seems like you don't know how to be liked
iliketurtles
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:44:31 PM

maelong wrote:
iliketurtles wrote:
maelong wrote:

yes i am pretty dumb but i study hard to cover my stupidity
are you dumb? because it seems like you don't know how to be liked

hahahahahah gotta love internet trash talking
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering '17
Applied:
McGill :) :( :( :(
Western :)
Ivey :(
U of T :) :)
Waterloo :) :) :)
greygoose
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:06:33 PM

maelong wrote:

What the hell is wrong with you? I'm sorry, but medicine is a much more challenging field of study than computer science, and those traits you mentioned are much more necessary for the far more competitive fields of medicine and law.

You need to be smart for university, period. That should be a constant. Well, unless you're defaulting on a psych degree because you have no plans for your future. (Sorry for picking on you, psych majors, but you know the kinds of people I'm talking about <.<)
randint
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:30:08 PM

I will say that Business (including Accounting/Business Administration [?]) is more English-based and more decision-making (well, the accountant takes data and makes financial decisions I believe). Computer programming is more math-based (i.e. a lot of problem solving in programming, considering this is the goal of making a program). So, it will depend what you like better, if you like both, the DD program could be good (do you want Business Administration or Chartered Accountancy?), there is a Mathematics/Chartered Accountancy program as well.
University of Waterloo, Honours Mathematics, Regular

Class of 2017

Grade Level: 1B, Start Date: 2014-01-06
Conversation Jump