Physics 88
Calculus 95
Chemistry 92
Adv Functions 64 (bad)
Comm Tech 95

86.33333333333333 average??
DesireeF1128
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:51:22 PM

same boat as you buddy only im applying for computer.
English 70
Adv Func 83
Chem 86
Theology 87
Comm Tech 96

Lets keep our fingers crossed, but to be honest, its a slim chance. :(
Ryerson- Electrical Engineering [ACCEPTED]
UofT- Computer Engineering [ACCEPTED]
MacMaster- Engineering I [ACCEPTED]
York- Computer Engineering [ACCEPTED]
ziaw
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:46:03 PM

Me three..applying for computer engineering though
86.7% average..hope we all get in!
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
John204
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:40:22 PM

cool123man wrote:
English 84
Physics 88
Calculus 95
Chemistry 92
Adv Functions 64 (bad)
Comm Tech 95

How can you get a 95 in calculus, 88 in physics, and only have a 64 in adv functions? Adv function is easy compared to those two.
**Shields**
Accepted:
Razear
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:27:20 PM

John204 wrote:
How can you get a 95 in calculus, 88 in physics, and only have a 64 in adv functions? Adv function is easy compared to those two.

Because John wears pink jeans while eating mint chocolate chip ice cream on flying purple elephants.
**Shields**
Accepted:
John204
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 11:06:28 PM

Razear wrote:
John204 wrote:

Because John wears pink jeans while eating mint chocolate chip ice cream on flying purple elephants.

That comment makes no sense. This thread is related to engineering not your nonsense. You probably failed or didn't take any maths or sciences in high school, that you feel the need to troll this thread like you do with every other thread. An arts major who barely got into his/her program, commenting on thread about engineering is an absolute joke. I still wonder how many Queen's engineering students laugh at you every time you enter the school.
**Shields**
Accepted:
Xiaohaha
#7 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 1:09:34 AM

uh prolly not. i think they like all your courses to be above 70%

also LOL @ your unfortunate adv functions mark
**Shields**
Accepted:
Razear
#8 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 9:13:59 PM

John204 wrote:
Razear wrote:
John204 wrote:

That comment makes no sense. This thread is related to engineering not your nonsense. You probably failed or didn't take any maths or sciences in high school, that you feel the need to troll this thread like you do with every other thread. An arts major who barely got into his/her program, commenting on thread about engineering is an absolute joke. I still wonder how many Queen's engineering students laugh at you every time you enter the school.

Exactly. I was out to prove a point and you took the bait. Your post about him getting a high mark in calc and having a low mark in advanced functions is completely retarded. There is no correlation between the two at the high school level when most of the teachers just arbitrarily bump grades. GG
**Shields**
Accepted:
John204
#9 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 10:52:28 PM

Razear wrote:

Exactly. I was out to prove a point and you took the bait. Your post about him getting a high mark in calc and having a low mark in advanced functions is completely retarded. There is no correlation between the two at the high school level when most of the teachers just arbitrarily bump grades. GG

You're proving how stupid you are again. You need strong algebra skills to survive calculus and you learn that through advanced functions. Just because your marks were all inflated doesn't mean other people are experiencing the same thing. Unlike you, high school students these days don't ALWAYS depend on grade inflation and victory laps to get into university.
**Shields**
Accepted:
superstar2011
#10 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 11:00:23 PM

John204 wrote:
Razear wrote:

You're proving how stupid you are again. You need strong algebra skills to survive calculus and you learn that through advanced functions. Just because your marks were all inflated doesn't mean other people are experiencing the same thing. Unlike you, high school students these days don't ALWAYS depend on grade inflation and victory laps to get into university.

That's right, only "lucky" students ever get inflated grades... and I put that in quotation marks because the same students also suffer the hardest after their acceptance. My grade 12 teachers were harder markers than ever. Yet 86% of graduates go to university each year. There was no arbitrary boosts whatsoever. I definitely agree with this.
The world is not over and I'm still kicking butt!
Razear
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:52:02 PM

John204 wrote:

You want to know how I'm right and you're right? Take a look at grades from 50 years ago in Ontario schools compared to now. Back then, it was rare for students to become Ontario scholars, now everyone becomes one. This just proves that doing well in a prerequisite course doesn't ensure future success.
**Shields**
Accepted:
John204
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:51:55 PM

Razear wrote:
John204 wrote:

You want to know how I'm right and you're right? Take a look at grades from 50 years ago in Ontario schools compared to now. Back then, it was rare for students to become Ontario scholars, now everyone becomes one. This just proves that doing well in a prerequisite course doesn't ensure future success.

No one ever said doing well in high school will guarantee future success. The education/curriculum is going to be different from 50 years ago. 50 years ago, many people did not even care about an education, and many dropped out. You're stupid for even making an comparison. The grade inflation thing is overrated, you think every Ontario high school teacher is going to bump up your mark? Maybe from your experience, but that doesn't represent a everyone's.
Also, the fact that you said advanced functions and calculus have no connection just makes you even more ignorant. These courses were probably too hard on you, that you had to take easy courses to get into an Art program with no prereqs.
**Shields**
Accepted:
siekat
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:06:31 PM

Razear wrote:

That's 'cause 50 years ago, Ontario's grading and educational system was based on that of the British, which dictated that only 5% of students could be given As and only 30% could be given Bs. Wasn't a good grading system and was quite outdated IMO. It can't be demonstrated that the academic standards 50 years ago were any higher than they are today.

Grades today may be higher, but standards for universities admisisons have increased greatly in proportion to the competition and larger pool of high-achievers.

With the drastic evolution of technology and the creation of the interwebs, students have easier access to knoweledge and information than ever before.

No form of grade inflation can give salvation to those with poor work ethic. There are idiots in my school who fail even the easiest courses.
allanl
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:57:28 AM

cool123man wrote:
English 84
Physics 88
Calculus 95
Chemistry 92
Adv Functions 64 (bad)
Comm Tech 95

Candidates in the Ontario Grade 12 curriculum must be completing the Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, and the following six Grade 12 U/M courses:

English (ENG4U)
Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U)
Chemistry (SCH4U)
Physics (SPH4U)
Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
One additional U or M course

Please note that individual prerequisite courses must have at least 70% or higher. The Admissions Committee takes a look at a candidate's overall academic history with emphasis on the prerequisite course average.

U of T Mathematical and Physical Sciences 17'

Concentration in Actuarial Science (Bsc)

Razear
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:29:26 PM

John204 wrote:
No one ever said doing well in high school will guarantee future success. The education/curriculum is going to be different from 50 years ago. 50 years ago, many people did not even care about an education, and many dropped out. You're stupid for even making an comparison. The grade inflation thing is overrated, you think every Ontario high school teacher is going to bump up your mark? Maybe from your experience, but that doesn't represent a everyone's.
Also, the fact that you said advanced functions and calculus have no connection just makes you even more ignorant. These courses were probably too hard on you, that you had to take easy courses to get into an Art program with no prereqs.

You're just making a generalization that most people 50 years ago didn't care about receiving an education. This makes you ignorant, not me. Umm...if you think grade inflation is overrated have a look at how many idiots graduate on the honour roll when most of them do nothing but smoke weed everyday. I have observed this trend and can confirm that it does exist. There are kids who get 60s in advanced functions and then continue to calc with 80s or 90s. This simply shows the corruptness of our education system.
**Shields**
Accepted:
siekat
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2013 9:51:56 PM

Razear wrote:
John204 wrote:

You're just making a generalization that most people 50 years ago didn't care about receiving an education. This makes you ignorant, not me. Umm...if you think grade inflation is overrated have a look at how many idiots graduate on the honour roll when most of them do nothing but smoke weed everyday. I have observed this trend and can confirm that it does exist. There are kids who get 60s in advanced functions and then continue to calc with 80s or 90s. This simply shows the corruptness of our education system.

Hasty generalization fallacy. Your conclusions are based on anecdotal evidence and your cherry-picked "observations" no way conclude that grade inflation, in the grand scope, is occurring for the hundreds of secondary schools and for the tens of thousands of students in Ontario.

If these pot-head kids you speak of are getting on the honour roll, chances are they're taking gym courses or some crap to boost their marks. But then again, who says you can't smoke some weed and still get stellar marks lol?
Conversation Jump