Browse Our Top Categories

2 Pages 12>
Best Residence at UWO? Options ▼
stopngolow
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:39:33 PM

hey guys,

I'm a prospective student wondering about the best residence at UWO?
I'm looking at either a double room or a single room residence.

Zion
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:19:05 PM

Saugeen. You know why.
Queen's 15
123abcuwo
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:50:03 PM

I'd go for traditional style before suite style. It's a different feel/environment on the floors & a bit easier to bond with your floor (because everyone is super close to each other, as opposed to suite style where the hallways are longer & everyone has their own room in each suite).
Medway-Sydenham & Delaware would be my top 2 if I had to rank them.
Ivey HBA1
The University of Western Ontario
clarab
#4 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 11:03:58 PM

MEDSYD.
Hands down.
Best Rez around.
Don't even consider anything else.
UWO Honours Spec Poli Sci, Minor in Medical Biophysics 2014
TheSituation
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:44:16 PM

clarab wrote:
MEDSYD.
Hands down.
Best Rez around.

Looooooool. No. They're all good. You can't go wrong. But maybe avoid Alumni House, kinda weird.
University of Western Ontario
Business Management and Organizational Studies (BMOS)
Class of 2013

dunno wrote:
The Asian floor was one of the tightest floors in the rez
g93
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:53:14 PM

TheSituation wrote:
clarab wrote:
MEDSYD.
Hands down.
Best Rez around.

Looooooool. No. They're all good. You can't go wrong. But maybe avoid Alumni House, kinda weird.

Thought you weren't posting here anymore?
TheSituation
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:57:47 PM

g93 wrote:
TheSituation wrote:
clarab wrote:
MEDSYD.
Hands down.
Best Rez around.

Thought you weren't posting here anymore?

I'm needed. Got 20+ PMs from people asking me stuff. Too valuable.
University of Western Ontario
Business Management and Organizational Studies (BMOS)
Class of 2013

dunno wrote:
The Asian floor was one of the tightest floors in the rez
clarab
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:58:21 PM

TheSituation wrote:
clarab wrote:
MEDSYD.
Hands down.
Best Rez around.

True, they're all pretty decent, but medsyd is still the best rez for having spirit, and from what I've been to at other rezs has the best parties too.

But yeah, avoid alumni, and try to avoid saugeen. My friends who live there are pretty miserable, spend many nights on the floor of my room in medsyd, because it's too loud there, there aren't any study rooms, etc. But if you do end up with saugeen, don't go in with a negative attitude, just try to stay open to the experience, because alot of people end up loving it!
UWO Honours Spec Poli Sci, Minor in Medical Biophysics 2014
BIGBANG23
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:37:49 AM

I'm at saugeen, and everything you can imagine, yeup it happens here. On the upside, everyone here is super friendly and you won't go wrong even if it is your last choice (like mecheers ).
To begin: On the plus side it's cheap, and you're bound to make friends more easily because everyone is simply a door away, and with such traditional style buildings you tend to get cozy (due to its lack of size).
On the downside(or maybe not) the party starts on wednesday! You'll be hearing loud music (depends on where you are, but you'll definitely feel the vibrations wherever you are with the crazy stereos people bring in) till about 11. Which isn't so bad for most teens. Also, if you're going to saugeen I'd recommend bringing in a good solid roommate, just to count on someone and make sure you don't go too crazy.
Don't stress too much, and just go with the flow, you're bound to get an awesome rez whatever you put.
The University of Western
Biological and Medical Science [BMSc] 2014
TheLaw
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 4:40:12 PM

MedSyd is fantastic!
if you want a rez close to your classes choose Delaware. That's all assuming your in the 3 sciences.

if you're in engineering then go with perth.
UWO BioMed 2014
Zion
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 6:07:45 PM

TheLaw wrote:
MedSyd is fantastic!
if you want a rez close to your classes choose Delaware. That's all assuming your in the 3 sciences.

Why are we assuming this...
Queen's 15
123abcuwo
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 9:54:31 PM

Zion wrote:
TheLaw wrote:
MedSyd is fantastic!

Because Delaware is the closet rez to all the buildings that sci classes will be held at. Thus, you can literally wake up less than 20 min before class starts & still make it to your bio lecture, held at the building that's LITERALLY right next to Delaware haha.

With engineering, same thing...engineering building is the closest to Perth & Essex.
Ivey HBA1
TheLaw
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 10:28:53 AM

123abcuwo wrote:
Zion wrote:
TheLaw wrote:
MedSyd is fantastic!

Because Delaware is the closet rez to all the buildings that sci classes will be held at. Thus, you can literally wake up less than 20 min before class starts & still make it to your bio lecture, held at the building that's LITERALLY right next to Delaware haha.

With engineering, same thing...engineering building is the closest to Perth & Essex.

+1
UWO BioMed 2014
Luna
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 3:52:27 PM

Medway-Sydenham is definitely the best! It has lots of spirit, study rooms, and the friendliest people at UWO. There are both double and single rooms, and there are lots of parties, but not nearly as many as in Saugeen (aka the Zoo).
amandagibson
#15 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 1:27:40 PM

I attend UWO and saugeen is definitely one of the best rez's going. There are so many people that you'll make so many new friends and you will never be bored!
MW0NG
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:45:57 PM

What's the closest rez to Ivey?
University of Western Ontario Class of 2015
Ivey AEO with Health Science + Scholars Elective
123abcuwo
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:58:43 AM

MW0NG wrote:
What's the closest rez to Ivey?

Delaware...
But I don't see why it matters because you won't have any classes in that building anyway until you're actually IN Ivey (aka HBA1, year 3 of your undergrad)...so because you basically won't be in the Ivey building at all in your first 2 years, don't rank your rez based on its distance to Ivey :)
And by the time you do enter Ivey, you'll likely be living off-campus, lol :p
Ivey HBA1
Ashton
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:43:13 PM

amandagibson wrote:
I attend UWO and saugeen is definitely one of the best rez's going. There are so many people that you'll make so many new friends and you will never be bored!

I stayed in Saugeen first year. It's great for the social aspects. There are so many people to hangout with and there's always a chance there is someone from your class living in residence so you can get notes from them if you so happen to miss a class. Also, it's easy to set up study groups in residence.

However, I'll never miss the fire alarms almost every Saturday night. The mornings after the crazy party nights where vomit was literally every where. The smell of booze since a lot of it was spilled. Also, you can only eat rez food for so long. If you like to cook, have variety, and healhty options you may consider getting a sutie style residence that can give you that option.
qszwdxefc
#19 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 1:44:21 AM

They're all great residences (just avoid Alumni and London). I'm in Elgin and there are days where I wish I was in Saugeen and days where I am so glad I chose Elgin.

Also the social factor is all dependent on your floor.
UWO Biomed 2014

Accepted into: Mac Healthsci, Queen's Science, UTSC LifeSci
applekid
#20 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 8:09:42 PM

qszwdxefc wrote:
They're all great residences (just avoid Alumni and London). I'm in Elgin and there are days where I wish I was in Saugeen and days where I am so glad I chose Elgin.

Also the social factor is all dependent on your floor.

Why london?
2 Pages 12>
Conversation Jump