Browse Our Top Categories

is grade 12 english really that much easier in summer school? Options ▼
xoblackout
#1 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 6:26:09 PM

people say it's easier in summer school, others say it's still really hard because all that information is to be retained in a months' time.

if I normally get high 80s in day school for English (like 86%), will my summer school mark be higher? what if it isn't? should i retake it in day school?

--> Grade 12 English btw.
University of Waterloo - Arts and Business Co-op
Transferring to the University of Toronto, St. George: Humanities

jelly
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:00:04 AM

I always hear that summer school is easier but it still depends on your teacher. It seems that most of that are prone to being easier during summer, but some of them are still difficult. My English marks in grade 9 and 10 were 84 and 88 I think. My grade 11 summer school mid-term was 79, I dropped it. I just finished grade 11 English in day school with a 92-94 (not exactly sure because of the exam, of course). Hoping to get 85+ personally, 90+ would be nice if possible. Probably gonna drop at mid-term summer if it isn't at least 85.
University of Waterloo: Systems Design Engineering
Class of 2017
ktel
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:15:48 AM

^ Why the hell would you drop grade 11 English with a 79 and then retake it. What a waste of time.
xoblackout
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:50:09 AM

yeah, i'd never retake it if i got a 79 in grade 11 english - grade 11 marks don't matter.

but if i get a 79 in midterms in summer school for grade 12, i'm definitely dropping it..

jelly
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:15:44 AM

Partially because of the mark, but also because I was sick and tired of the crappy school I was taking it at, and hardly anyone else was taking summer school, I wanted to relax. I do realize grade 11 marks don't matter, but it just doesn't feel right to let one of my marks fall under 80... don't know why.
Class of 2017
ktel
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:20:24 PM

But you could've then replaced that course in day school with something else. Or you could've not taken summer school and made some money.
jelly
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:30:10 PM

ktel wrote:
But you could've then replaced that course in day school with something else. Or you could've not taken summer school and made some money.

Doubt I would've actually went out to get a job anyway. Could've taken another course but I don't think there's much I would've taken... probably would end up taking art or something. Not really a horrid decision, didn't really lose anything and I'm already done half my grade 12 pre-reqs anyway, considering I finish summer school this time.
Class of 2017
heesoup
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:21:13 PM

Along with previous posters, it really depends on whether you can handle a full course in a span of one month.
The University of Western Ontario '15
Political Science
superstar2011
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:52:17 PM

I've heard the Grade 12 English course is much easier in summer school, and that may mainly because the teachers can't assign you huge projects like they can in day school because of time constraints. But generally, summer school students do end up with higher marks than day school students. My friend passed Grade 9, 10, and 11 English with marks 65, 65 and 66 respectively, then went to summer school for Grade 12 English and had a final mark of 81. Again, it depends on your schools (both the day school and the summer school you go to) as well as your teachers, since English is possibly the most subjective subject in Ontario (or anywhere) not only in terms of marking, but in the books you study and the assignments you do as well.
The world is not over and I'm still kicking butt!
KingKhan
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:36:02 PM

It's completely dependent on the teacher
Applied to:

Brock University - Computer Science [Accepted]
McGill - Computer Engineering [Accepted]
McMaster - Engineering I [Accepted]
Queens - Engineering [Accepted]
Western - Engineering [Accepted]

McMaster: Mechanical Engineering 16'
unigirl123101
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:02:57 PM

Let's be real here. Summer school for liberal arts/social science/languages etc is a joke. The only "challenging" part is that you might have to read novels in a week, but seriously you can finish all the books in a few hours if you need to.

If you do your work, you should have NO issue getting 90+. The only reason that some people do poorly is that they don't do any reading or work and then try to write essays and the exam based on sparknotes.
xoblackout
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:13:31 PM

unigirl123101 wrote:
Let's be real here. Summer school for liberal arts/social science/languages etc is a joke. The only "challenging" part is that you might have to read novels in a week, but seriously you can finish all the books in a few hours if you need to.

If you do your work, you should have NO issue getting 90+. The only reason that some people do poorly is that they don't do any reading or work and then try to write essays and the exam based on sparknotes.

i just started summer school today.
my teacher was like, "i know all of you think summer school is easy. well, some teachers are like that...but unluckily, im not. im willing to teach the entire course to you guys, and if you think this course will be easy, just drop out."

...the other teacher in this school gave a summer school average of 70.
so NO, i'm starting to think that the replies to my question are wrong. we just had an essay to do due today. summer school ISN'T easy, if you get a teacher like mine.

i really, really regret taking summer school, and it's only been the first day.
i'm afraid i won't be getting a low 90 or high 80 like i usually do, because things are so fast paced and my teacher seems like he WANTS us to do badly.
FML. i might drop it.

superstar2011
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:19:59 AM

I guess your teacher really cares, unlike most of the other ones. If you can't handle the flow, then maybe you should just drop it. I still don't think your projects will be as huge as they would be in semester school, since you don't have as much time to organize them, work on them and stuff. My major group projects in semestered school: Group presentation on Utopia, A research presentation comparing Russia to 1984, An entire class's worth of a seminar between Brave New World and 1984, and a scene study on Hamlet involving a skit, rhetorical devices, quotes, etc. Individual projects: 3 in-class essays, 7 timed written assignments (4 essays, 1 poem, 1 propoganda poster, 1 informal letter), and a summative of three parts: a proposal, a 20-minute conference and a final essay. And of course, a final exam. If your teacher can fit this much work into one month, then by all means you need to drop the course. Good luck, though.
The world is not over and I'm still kicking butt!
Conversation Jump