Browse Our Top Categories

Grade 11 Options ▼
bluebeach23
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:23:18 PM

Hello,

I will be entering gr 11 this september and I'm really worried :( In grade 10, I did well in first semester but I did horrible in 2nd semester because of a very bad math teacher.

These are my couses for gr 11: Any advice on how to do well? I need to get atleast an 88%.....which are the hard ones? the easy ones? how do I ace them? Btw...I need to go to U of T or Mcmaster for life sci/health sci....again ...I need help to ace these courses.

Functions ( I hate math)
English ( I hate english too :(
Frech Immersion french
Sociology, anthropology and psychology in french
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Philosophy

Please tell me how to ace these courses...as I said I am freaking out !!!

Thank you in advance :)

**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
cherrypie725
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:42:16 PM

It really depends on what your skills are. For me, I would say English and Functions were definitely the easiest, but I like English and Math.

The only advice I can give you is to pay attention in class, ask lots of questions and stay on top of your homework/assignments. Unfortunately, there really isn't an easy solution.

Good luck!
Queen's Arts '16

Chancellor's Scholarship Recipient
rebeccaw22
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:53:41 AM

It sounds like you are a science person, so I think those will be easy for you but functions was the hardest course for me. Like you said I got stuck with a really bad teacher..I did over 15% better in calc. and vectors then I did in functions. Good luck and I think that by working hard you'll get where you want to go! Don't fall too far behind!
brady23
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:13:37 PM

Hey bluebeach23, I took 6 of your courses so I can help you out!

SBI3U
The first three units, Genetics, Evolution, and the Body Unit are super interesting! Genetics and Evolution are very easy, but the Body Unit is a killer. Lots of stuff to memorize especially in the digestive system. We did a dissection as well. But, the last two units, Diversity of Living Things and Plants is SUPER BORING! But biology is not just memorizing, because on the tests (at least for me) there is a whole section dedicated to making connections. This is what separates a 90 student from an 80 student because if you just memorize you won’t do well on this section, but if you can make those connections you will have no problem getting a 90. My advice would be not to cram for the tests (especially for the body unit) and just start studying a week because the more you review, the more it’s gonna stick in your head. Most people entering this course don’t realize how much work it is until they are a month into the course, you need a lot of dedication to do well. A good course to take but it is A LOT of work. If you want to go into the social sciences, I don’t think you should take this course unless you want to take it for the learning experience. Be prepared to memorize lots of stuff. Can be tedious at times but generally easy if you pay attention in class and keep up with your work. If you have a good work ethic, success is inevitable. Otherwise, prepare for death. In terms of the actual content, I found this class pretty interesting because it explained a lot of things that I always wanted to know but never really had the initiative to investigate on my own, such as how we inherit diseases and genes.

SCH3U
Oh, this course was the death of so many people. The first unit in Chemistry is quite hard, I actually think it is one of the hardest because it is all concepts so you need excellent communication skills if you wanna ace this unit. You learn about chemical bonding and drawing diagrams. There’s lots to understand – not necessarily memorize like biology and the diagrams can be tricky. The second unit Reactions is just grade 10 review of reactions! If you know how to balance synthesis, single , double displacement, and combustion reactions you will own this unit! The only new thing you will learn is nuclear reactions which is just as easy. The third unit is all calculations and is just arithmetic math – multiplying mainly. If you do all your homework and make sure you get every question right, you will own this unit as well! The fourth unit – Solutions is actually quite hard. This unit is a combination of concepts and math. There are a lot of concepts to understand and a lot of calculations to be done as well. Know the difference between H3O+ and H3O because a lot of people in my class lost tons of marks because of something like that. Unit 5 Gases was when I was feeling lazy and again a combination of concepts and calculations, except it is a little easier than solutions. The concepts can be quite hard to understand however, so make sure you take the time to understand it. The calculations are easy, just make sure you do everything. Before going into this course, you should know something called nomenclature because for the whole course, your teacher is just going to give you the names of chemicals in all the math questions for unit 2, unit 3, unit 4, and unit 5, and if you put hypochlorite as ClO4 instead of ClO, you mess up the whole calculation question and forfeit all your marks. A lot of my classmates took this for granted and even though they knew how to do the question, they still would fail tests because they weren’t getting the nomenclature right. And know how to balance those chemical equations because you need to do that for units 2-5 and it will just be assumed knowledge. Good luck in this course, as long as you work hard in completing the homework and taking the time to understand concepts you will do great in this course and get extra help from your teacher if needed! The labs are quite fun as well but the titration lab will be an average dropper – basically you add drop by drop and in one drop your solution changes from clear to dark pink instead of light pink you have to do it all over!

SPH3U
This course is definitely tough in the beginning, but after the first two units, you’ll notice how much easier the last two are. Kinematics is by far the toughest unit. Unlike chemistry, you can do every question in the textbook, and still fail the test. Why? Because for physics you will never see a problem that you have seen before, you will see a completely new problem that you have the skills to solve. For example, a ball traveling at 50 m/s begins to roll up an inclined plane before coming to rest. The ball comes to a stop 80.0m up the incline. What was the velocity of the ball 2.5s after starting up the incline?
Physics is like math – but more of a thinking type of math. Also, like chemistry, there are a lot of concepts that you need to understand. The second unit Forces & Motion is similar to Kinematics and they actually were one unit before so they go hand in hand, but it is a bit easier than Kinematics and it is a shorter unit. Then you get to the energy unit which is a piece of cake compared to the first two units. You just learn about energy types and calculating energy, in the sound unit, you learn some concepts like the Doppler Effect, and some calculation problems. Sound is definitely one of the easiest units and then Electricity & Magnetism has a lot of concepts but is still doable. The first two units are the units to look out for because they require high critical thinking skills – not just memorizing the equations. It is hard to grasp at first, but if you are good at math, you will get it right away. Getting past tests will be a big help here and do extra questions in the textbook to make sure you are prepared!

MCR3U
The course is a big jump from grade 10 just like all the sciences. For example, that whole unit of trigonometry is just assumed knowledge right now. You expand on it so much by graphing trigonometric functions, solving trig problems, solving equations, and modelling real life situations with them. It is definitely the hardest unit of MCR3U and requires a lot of critical thinking because it is not a unit where doing every question in the book will mean you ace the test. Other than the trigonometry unit, the rest of the course isn’t that bad, but trigonometry requires lots of work. Quadratic Expressions – is just a review of grade 10 with radicals thrown in! IF you know your grade 10 quadratics, you will own this unit! You will spend a whole unit on graphing and transforming functions which is very easy, just do all your homework. Rational Expressions is super easy as well and same advice, just do all your homework. The best part of the course? Finances unit and sequences unit. It is just formulas, there’s nothing else to it. This should be in like grade 9 math, and these two units are a big average booster so own these two units, and your math mark will skyrocket. Trig will definitely be the hardest so spend time on that, and do all your homework, ask for help, and if you can get some extra tests to help you out!

FSF3U
I dropped a lot from grade 10. Grade 11 is hard (maybe not for you since you are in immersion xD) We had to read plays and analyze passages and quotes and themes all in French! There were so many projects too that were average droppers because teacher wouldn’t give a level 4 unless yours was super creative. For the listening and reading comprehension, you can’t really study for it, you just have to practice so do pay attention to those listening exercises. Also, get those grammar rules down and you will own the written tests and get people to edit your written essays and stuff. Make sure your pronunciation is good and you will do fine. My teacher only gave 2 listening tests the whole semester in the first month, worth 12.5% each, and when I did bad on one, I had no way of bringing up my mark back up because the listening component was done.

ENG3U
A very subjective course – one teacher who likes your essay and another would give you a 60 for it. The teacher makes a difference – more so than the other courses. Sparknotes is a good friend to use for literature exams and literature analysis. Get people to edit your essays, even past English teachers. Use sparknotes for Macbeth because it helps a lot! Writing essays is a big component of the course and presentations of course. It’s just like grade 10, just that you do higher level thinking in essays and teachers emphasize critical thinking.
Final Note: If you are going into the social sciences for sure, I don’t think you should take the sciences because they wouldn’t be relevant and people really regret taking it midway the course when they realize they don’t need it. But only if you are SURE you want social sciences. If you want to keep your options, you made great choices with your course selections! This year will be tough but you’ll do great! GOOD LUCK! 
Applying to:

McMaster University - Life Science (accepted)
York University - Biomedical Sciences (accepted)
Waterloo University - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto St. George - Life Science (accepted)
University of Toronto Scarborough - Neuroscience Coop (accepted)

"Absolutely no regrets, only choices, because at the end of the day, I can sit here and say I've made my own." - Daniele Donato (Big Brother 13)
bluebeach23
#5 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 8:48:16 AM

Thanks alot everyone for posting replies :) You've really helped me!
**Shields**
Accepted:
University of Toronto: Social Sciences + Vic One (Pearson Stream)
Carleton University: Honours Science
University of British Columbia: Arts
danaa
#6 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 1:41:59 AM

For me grade 11 was way easier then grade 10. I took Math, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and S.S, I got all A's but Math. My best advice is to stay organized throughout the year, go in for extra help, do ALL your homework and get on the teachers good side.

good luck!
etgh95
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:29:38 PM

My advice to you: for the sciences, especially SPH3U, do ALL of the textbook questions as you study each chapter, not just the ones assigned. You will see an improvement in your test scores.
Good luck! I know that if you try your hardest, you can get the 88% average.
Viking21
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:42:56 PM

personally i found grade 11 functions really hard...but i found advanced functions easier than grade functions. I never took any sciences. English was fun...but hard to get high marks.
Wilfrid Laurier: Honours Business Administration with Co-op Option

Class of 2016

Bellatrix
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:11:03 AM

Well first off I took psychology, sociology, and anthropology and I thought it was really easy but I had it in english. English in grade 11 is a big step up from grade 10 the workload is quite a bit heavier but doable. For me chemistry was easy but I strongly suggest asking for help from the teacher the second you don't understand something because if you get behind your done. Biology I hated biology in grade 11 because I had an awful teacher. However it is a lot of work so keep on top of it. Also in case you're wondering, biology in grade 12 is completely different and a lot harder. I had a wonderful teacher but ended up loathing the subject because it is really difficult so I suggest that unless you absolutely need it don't take it. Hope I could help.
cherrypie725
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:20:31 PM

Bellatrix wrote:
Also in case you're wondering, biology in grade 12 is completely different and a lot harder. I had a wonderful teacher but ended up loathing the subject because it is really difficult so I suggest that unless you absolutely need it don't take it. Hope I could help.

I don't think that's really an option since OP is interested in life sci. Provided that you have a decent teacher, biology isn't too hard if you pay attention in class, take good notes, and start studying for tests well in advance.
Queen's Arts '16

Chancellor's Scholarship Recipient
kjbeals27
#11 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2011 12:50:27 PM

i found grade 11 biology fairly easy last year but theres alot of terms that you need to memorize and alot of the information takes going over a few times to really get it...its a study subject:P
kjbeals27
krankd
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:47:57 PM

Just put work in. Do all the homework the teacher assigns, pay attention in class, ask questions.

University of Waterloo
Civil Engineering 2017

Slasher61
#13 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 12:39:07 PM

bluebeach23 wrote:
Hello,

I will be entering gr 11 this september and I'm really worried :( In grade 10, I did well in first semester but I did horrible in 2nd semester because of a very bad math teacher.

These are my couses for gr 11: Any advice on how to do well? I need to get atleast an 88%.....which are the hard ones? the easy ones? how do I ace them? Btw...I need to go to U of T or Mcmaster for life sci/health sci....again ...I need help to ace these courses.

Functions ( I hate math)
English ( I hate english too :(
Frech Immersion french
Sociology, anthropology and psychology in french
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Philosophy

Please tell me how to ace these courses...as I said I am freaking out !!!

Thank you in advance :)

I wouldn't blame your math teacher. A truly good student would be able to find alternate resources so that they could preform better. Honestly this is a stupid question. The answer is so simple..do the friggen homework and readings. Do those, and you'll be fine.
Conversation Jump